‘08 610sm Solenoid replacement.

Discussion in '610/630' started by Muddy Waters, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I’ve narrowed down my ‘08 610sm starting issue to the solenoid.
    It’s the OEM unit # MS5F-701 12V 75N (made in Japan) with two 20a fuses (which according to the parts catalog # 8000 91115 should come with two 15a fuses ?).
    Google search brings only some $14 solenoid units for Yamaha bikes that looks the same but have two 30a fuses in them.
    Did anyone here went with anything other then the $60 OEM unit from the catalog?

7DEC7473-62C5-4BCD-8F5F-2CE019883FE3.jpeg
  2. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nobody ever had to replace these?
  3. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    How about buying that and then changing the fuses? ;) They're made to be easily replaced
    Muddy Waters likes this.
  4. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Indeed they are.
    I have zero knowledge in solenoids and I didn't see any spec sheet for the OEM and the Yamaha units to compare between the two, that's why I've asked.
    I don't want to create a bigger problem, so you say it's as easy as buying a solenoid unit that looks the same and just replacing the fuses?
  5. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, got the Yamaha solenoid for $7.80 on Amazon (the one for their big 4-wheelers).
    Changed the fuses on it to the 20a from my old one and also switched the rubber retainer band from the old OEM solenoid to the new one for the right orientation.
    The 610 coughed to life, worked for a little and then stopped.
    Tried it few more times and it does the same, cranks, work perfect for about 10 seconds and stops on its own.
    I guess the next step is to check the fuel filter?
    0A3407B3-B8F9-49BF-ADBF-63B530D10D9A.jpeg
  6. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    If it doesn't react to the gas being opened then it can be a fuel delivery problem. Check carb too
    Muddy Waters likes this.
  7. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just to finalize this, took off the gas tank, got the spark plug out and checked it on the side of the cylinder.
    It didn't look bad at all and it had spark but the spark looked kind of dim.
    Replaced the plug with another NGK R cpr8e, drained the old gas from the tank and put it back on, put new gas in it, cycled the fuel pump three times and then cranked it.
    The bike cranked instantly like nothing ever happened and is working perfectly.

All is good with the world again.
    mg94 and DYNOBOB like this.
  8. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    How old was your fuel? I've had starting problems with old fuel, drain and refill with fresh super and all is well.
  9. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm not sure if it was old enough to make a difference but it's really easy to drain the tank completely when it's off the bike so at that point I might as well eliminated that question mark from the equation.
  10. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    I bought the cheap Yamy solenoid and it didnt work. The shop opened it up and found it the circuit wasnt complete when it was supposed to be.
    They replaced it with another and when fitted it turned the bike over and kept turning over till the battery went flat. I hit the kill switch and even pulled the key out but it kept feeding power direct to the starter :o

I went to Husky and bought the OME and no problems since.
  11. ceevu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 610/630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Elefant, husaberg fe501
    i bought similar solenoid from wrecked lc8 ktm. Works like it should. i prefer used oem (from any major manufacturer ) over cheap chinese everytime.
  12. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    It just cound't stop CrankN
  13. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

mg94 likes this.
  14. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don’t know man, it works perfect for me (and yeah, I went down to the garage and cranked it before I posted this...because Murphy and his laws), what are the odds you got two bad ones, one after the other?

I just want to add that since then I’ve been using the old gas I’ve drained from the bike in my push lawnmower and it works too.