Extra Fuel for TE

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Fast1, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Another member posted a thread describing the method he devised to carry additional fuel on his fuel injected TE610.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2150

I posted in his thread that I had another idea as an alternative which I'll describe in this thread.

First off these are the items required to pull it off:

.8 gl or 1.3gl Acerbis front number plate fuel tank
    TE610 rack
    a few rubber washers
    access to a welder

I took a piece of 6.5" x 1" flat stock and drilled two holes through it that match the print of the bolts that run thought the Acerbis tank.
    Then two lock nuts were tack welded to the piece of flat stock to thread the +.5" longer Acerbis number plate bolts into.

[IMG]

I placed the Acerbis tank on top of the stock TE610 rack (which was mounted on my TE510) and ran the bolts through the two round holes near the rear rack mounts. You can also mount the tank on the rack sideways, with the cap positioned to the right side, by utilizing the two large holes in the center of the rack.

[IMG]

I placed the flat stock with the tack welded nuts under the rack and threaded/tightened the Acerbis tank bolts to it clamping the tank to the rack.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I've yet to give the support tank a thorough testing however I've never had it leak during use attatched to the rear sub-frame. I did loose a bolt due to vibration one day and thus scored some black tires marks to the back of the Acerbis tank.

[IMG]

The 1.3 gl tank is identical in dimension to the .8 gl only 1" thicker.

You won't win any pit stop races with it but if time is on your side and you need 3.8 or 4.3 total gls.. it is the best solution I've come up with.
  2. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

couple of additional photos

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. scoobywrx05 Husqvarna
    A Class

About the same idea, just a home made version. Cost,,about $15 and a few hours time and a neighbor thats really good at welding aluminum. One thing that isn't in the pics is the 2 holes that where drilled through the mounting bracket to stick the pins through to make sure the tank doesn't come flying off. Got a couple hundred hard off road miles on it so far and have even crashed on that side of the bike twice, and it seems to be holding up fine.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The next one I make is going to replace the whole side # panel and be held on by the 2 bolts that hold the # panel on and a mounting bracket kind of like the one that is on there now. The one thing I do like about the one that is on there now is that it can be taken off,,dumped into the tank,,and put back on in about 45 seconds to a minute without ever getting off of the bike.
  4. bower100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250CR - '07 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    TY350Trials-BetaRev3-'77RM250-'80YZ
    Man, nice work both you guys. Either system works for me.

Dave
  5. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Guys,
    if your fastening fuel far back on the subframe keep a real keen eye on the front top subframe mount! I have seen them crack from hard enduro use without any extra weight!!
    Alec
  6. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Very NICE guys!!! Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:
  7. racermx66 Husqvarna
    A Class

How much does the rear rack cost? Any modifications needed to fit the 510? That looks like a good idea.
  8. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I purchased the rear rack off supermoto junkie for ~$50. All you need is the rear rack and misc fasteners, grommets, plus spacers. The rack is a direct bolt on for the 08 after you drill some challenging holes through the rear fender.

Besides being able to carry tools, fuel ect.. the rack really offers great hand holds for moving the bike around. I almost like that feature as much as the carrying capacity.