Easy Extra Fuel for FI TE610

Discussion in '610/630' started by Howard70, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

While I wait impatiently for a 6 gallon tank :banghead:, I've mounted a Rotopax 2 gallon auxillary container to my tail rack:
    [IMG]

More images and details of the mount are available in one of my albums:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/album.php?albumid=33

Rotopax containers use the Koplin mounts, but carry more fuel (2 gallons) than the current Koplin containers. Some folks feel that the current Koplins leak more than the Rotopax. I can't say anything about the Koplins (I've never used one) but my Rotopax hasn't leaked yet and I left a full one on it's side in the driveway in full sunlight for several hours. Rotopax also offers a 20% discount to Adventure Riders:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429693

I've ridden with the full container in this position for about 50 miles so far. Aside from a fore-aft positioning issue (I'll move it 2" back), I can't even tell it is there. While it looks large, it isn't as wide as the OEM signals and is well within the Dirtbagz mounts:
    [IMG]

The container, mount, and shipping was around $75 with the 20% discount mentioned above. I'm happy with it - at least until that 6 gallon tank becomes available...:excuseme:

Howard L. Snell
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Excellent review, Howard :thumbsup:

I've had my eye on one of the Kolpin tanks for awhile now, but the reviews totally scared me away. An auxiliary fuel tank is no good if it's leaking all over. I saw the Rotopax ones, too, but figured they'd be just as bad. Nice to know I am wrong:)

WoodsChick
  3. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    Hi Howard,

I was wondering what rack / bag system, do you have on your Bike.

(I have 4, 30 oz fuel cells. But being able to carry 2 gallons would be better.)

Thanks

Rick
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Another alternative is to attach the Acerbis front number plate to the factory 610 rear rack. That would add either .8 or 1.3 gallons depending on the size of front number plate tank you purchase. I'll have photos within the next week showing method of attachment. Essentially the front number plate tank lays flat as the one pictured in this thread and uses the bolts that come with the Acerbis tank.

edit.. thread with photos here
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2336
  5. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have one of those I used to run on my GasGas. At least, I did until I decided that crappy front suspension til the gas was gone just wasn't worth the extra range :p I'm wondering if it'll leak while on its side? Have you tested it? It wouldn't be as flat as the Kolpin/Rotopax option, but it's free...

WoodsChick
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have that setup on the TXC. Can't even tell it is there. Going to do it on my CR125 Husky this summer as I HATE the large tanks for that bike.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You realize when you ride the gas sloshes all over inside the tank right. :busted:
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You have it on the front? Or do you have it on the back on its side?

WoodsChick
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Back on the motosportz rack
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll have photos soon.. The two front number plate bolts fit perfectly thru the holes on the stock 610 rack. You just weld two huts on a 6" piece of flat stock and run the bolts thru the number plate, the rear rack and thread into the flat stock under the rear rack. The flat stock anchors the tank to the rack.

Tank lays on the side on top of the rear rack and from my testing does not leak. Have not tested riding yet with the tank in the flat positon but never had any leak issues when hanging from the rear subframe. Tested it full of fuel laying on the side for several days and no leak...
  11. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hello Rick:

The rack is a Pro Moto Billet rack:
    http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/24_83

With a reinforced tail rack subframe:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324

The bag in these photographs is a Wolfman Wolf Tail bag:
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tail/wolf_tail_bag.html

I also use a Wolfman Ridgeline Duffel:
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tail/ridgeline_duffel.html

I haven't used the Ridgeline with the Rotopax container yet. I plan to mount the Rotopax crossways (rather than parallel as in these photos) when using the Ridgeline.

The pannier supports in the photo are for Dirtbagz Rangers:
    http://www.dbzproducts.com/specs.htm

With the panniers mounted, the Rotopax crossways, and the Ridgeline on top the width of the whole setup will remain within the dimensions of the panniers. I wouldn't load heavy stuff in the Ridgeline to keep the weight down low. Or at least down lower.

Howard L. Snell
  12. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    Thanks Howard :thumbsup:
  13. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

I'd guess that you could use tank foam in it to slow the slosh some.

Looks great Howard!

I NEED some dirt bags, how are you liking them?
  14. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Nesbocaj:

I'm not sure, but I think that the slosh might not be an issue in the Rotopax container. I fill it up and wait until the main tank is down by 2 gallons before transferring the fuel to the main tank. That way the Rotopax is either full or empty. Would that reduce the slosh?

I'm pretty happy with the Dirtbagz. The zippers can jam a little, but they always free up easily. The bags come with some additional straps that you use if carrying a heavier load. I almost always use those straps because they seem to stablize the bags. The bags aren't at all waterproof so you need to pack stuff inside within plastic bags if you want to keep it dry. I soaked my contents on the last ride even though it never rained because I did about 15 stream crossings. Never deep enough to reach the bags, but the splash reached them.

The supports are great. Pretty near a perfect compromise of light weight but sufficient strength. The bags can sure get dirty!

Howard
  15. Nesbocaj Husqvarna
    A Class

I wonder if a spray on water repellent may help, or even a wash in like Tek-wax?
  16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I wash my doggy panniers in some sort of waterproofing. Soak it in the stuff then let it dry. It works pretty good to keep stuff really water-resistant, but water-proof? No...

WoodsChick
  17. MasterChief Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310 2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha SRX600 & XT225

I like that set up combination, the rack, the dirt bags and the fuel container.

I have a trip or 2 planned this summer were the extra gas will be needed. My dry bag will strap right on top of the fuel can.