ZipTy fuel filter

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by R_Little, Jun 20, 2015.

1. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Has anyone used it?

Will ZipTy sell it with clamps and a hose?
  2. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Are you talking about ZipTy making one of their billet filters to fit the Italian Husky's with a barb on both sides?

They should come out with one with barbed fittings on both sides to fit the earlier bikes.

I use the ZipTy filter on my FE501 it comes with a pinch type Oediker/Dorman clamp included for the barbed side, to connect it to the bikes FI side inlet hose instead of a worm drive hose clamp.

I Really like it. Its a good bet on keeping crap out of the FI injector. It still uses the factory prefilter insert. But it can be serviced and cleaned also. I also run the Husky Powerparts fuel filler sock, its long and narrow. It fits down in the neck and indexes and can't fall in under the cap, not like some of the universal other types that have a filter net thats huge like a fish net.

I've had my Fuel tank off several times and I run the KTM/Husqvarna/Husaberg, Factory Fuel Pump Connection, part # 77707988017 Banjo Fitting Fuel outlets on both my tanks. The factory stock tanks fitting goes straight down and has a sharp "S" bend in the actual hose. It is prone to getting hung up in the brush or conceivably could get damaged. So the way to go is with the banjo fitting. Its outlet is at a right angle as shown in the picture.

The head of the banjo bolt that holds the banjo fitting itself from spinning once its positioned has to be super tight or it will come loose after the first ride or so. It takes a 15mm wrench. I found this out the hard way, as I had some fuel dripping a bit when I washed the bike the other day. I had the tank off previously and reconnected the fuel filter to the tanks hose and the push button quick connector.

Only complaint I have about the filter. I must say it was probably my own fault but the ZipTy Filter uses an Orange/brownish colored high heat (I guess) O-Ring on the quick connect side to the tanks drain outlet that it snaps into to make the fuel connection. You can feel it definitely click into place when it locks. My O-Ring on the ZipTy Filter got cut or damaged from taking it apart and clicking it back together a few too many times I guess. It started leaking. I had to take the o-ring off the stock filter I had removed and had put it away in a bag and install it on the ZipTy filter because it got chingered up. The stock throw away filter has a black neoprene O-Ring on it and I swapped it out for the one that was on the ZipTy filter and it's working fine now.

I had initially thought the drip was coming from the banjo fitting itself as I tightened it up the other day too. It can work its way loose by just grabbing the fuel hose and turning it when you pull it apart with the quick connect from the filter. So be careful because taking it off or removing the tank, If you turn it hard doing so It acts like its own wrench, I guess on the banjo fitting.

I tried to match it up with my 430+piece assortment of metric O-rings and its a different size than any size I had in the entire box.

So yesterday morning, I took the stock filter with me with the messed up ZipTy O-Ring down to my Napa Autoparts dealer and bought 4 more black neoprene O-rings the correct size, just like the stock O-Ring and made sure it fit the stock filters groove. When you disconnect this quick connector, fuel is blocked off so service and removal is easy to take off the tank.

To avoid problems with this happening in the future just short of greasing the filters O-ring or female connector everytime. I have a complete new fuel pump assembly in my "4.1 Gallon Acerbic gas tank" With the banjo fitting on it also. To change it out I still have to get another quick connector that's about $40.00 to crimp it to the hose crimped to the banjo fitting on that tank.

I guess a bit of dielectric grease or lube is in order for connecting the factory quick connect to the actual filter when swapping tanks and this makes me have a bit of peace of mind and hopefully no more leaks. I don't want to be swapping the pump and fittings back and forth when mounting the large tank so it will be fitted with everything just like the stock tank so it will connect right to the ZipTY filter. I'll carry a few of the O-Rings with the pre-filter with me in my fanny pack. The cost at Napa for a few spares was a whole $1.84.

Burning the bike down to the ground though in the desert from a leaky cut in the Filters O-Ring. Priceless!

All I can say is be careful making this connection and push the button on the quick release to snap it in. Although its not necessary to push the button to make this connection its probably a good idea as I think that's what clipped the edge off the stock ZipTy filters O-Ring.

I'm a welder and I think fire is really cool but not on my $14,000.00 new dirt bike.

I have seen dirt bikes burn to the ground before when riding in the past. Usually from people using the cheap clear hoses some use that belong on your kids gold fish aquarium.

SAM_1048.JPG
    ray_ray likes this.
  3. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yeah, I'm talking about replacing the internal filter in the tank of my black head x-lites with mikuni FI.

A little different than your set up.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    This is the in tank Mahle plastic type replacement, will work for KTM new Husky as well as older FI Husky. A video was recently made explaining the installation of this filter, it should be up soon on FB or Youtube or both.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/zip-ty-high-capacity-fuel-filter/
  5. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Thanks Robert. That be the one. For R_Little, a life saver in my book.

And worth every penny.

[IMG]

Loading zoom

• [IMG]
    [IMG]
    RRP:
    $149.99
    Your Price:
    $134.99 (You save $15.00)
    SKU:
    INTNK-FLTR
    Mik-3 likes this.