1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

ZipTy Breather Mod Tested , OEM vs. ZipTy... Breather Box needed ?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Rearwheelin, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    First off I'm glad I did the ZipTy valve breather mod. It ads a second way for the blow-by gasses to get out of your engine and cuts heat buildup at the torque limiter . One thing I found out durring testing is the ZipTy vent works as good as the oem when feeling the gasses come out with your hand , side by side. I never was able to get oil to come out the ZipTy vent , my guess is when you block the oem vent you will make oil come out. I was also told by the crew over at ZipTy the oem breather will not allow oil to go back down even with the ZipTy mod and really needed to find out for myself, was told 3-4 days for oil to drop back into the engine threw the oem breather :thinking: ... just didn't buy it :oldman: .... So after this test I will never need a bottle because if I do get a drop or a small trickle to come out the vent hose it will end up on my chain. And no worries of hot casing gasses hitting my oil filter and breaking down my filter oil .

Thought this might help. Sorry for the vid quality... I dont have much shame :cheers:

View: http://youtu.be/UgRFakbbDLU

View: http://youtu.be/00HQuNGu6Jk
  2. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    So could we T the top zip ty vent into the stock breather vent hose? Would that be good for letting the blowby gasses out at either end?

Also could you run the drain from a catch can back into the stock breather hose, letting the oil run back into case that way, the same way it got out?
  3. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    First question , you could T in to the stock breather , I don't know if the oil will stay out of the air box. The oil mist will fall out of the gasses eventually depending on the curves and length of the breather hose.

Second Q , it is what I'm doing minus the breather box and end of breather hose is no longer going to my airbox . You need the ZipTy breather on the valve cover to give the gasses a alternative place to vent if oil is to go down the OEM breather. Having two vents on the bike cuts the vent gas flow rates in half vs. Having a single vent and will cary less oil out the vents to begin with IMOA.
  4. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    I like it. Thanks
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The first problem is that if you uncap the oem breather, you are inviting, maybe not all, but some % of gasses to flow through the torque limiter, which will cause the very failure the vent was stopping in the first place.

The ZipTyRacing breather tank is not a box. It is more like an oil vapor condenser. Basically there are cooling fins located within the breather tank which hot oil vapor condenses on before draining back to the engine case. When Ty and I tested the breather vent without the breather tank, my rear wheel was fully coated with vaporized oil. Therefor it is my recommendation that you run a tank and return line.
  6. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I like my setup for now . Any idea how hot the box gets while trail riding sitting above the header ? Might make the gases and oil hotter ? My setup is working fine for now , my second cooling fan helps a lot with cooling the head and all the oil that goes threw it. To me this looks like a heat sink for the header when trail riding .

[IMG]
  7. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    So put a check valve on the OEM breather side if your worried about that ? How does this hose contraption not do the same thing as a box with baffles ? This contraption has a lot of surface area on the walls for the oil to stick and the oil gasses get slammed to the T fitting wich will condense oil as well... I pulled a-lot of condensed oil out of lines in the petroleum industry and seen things that work and havn't worked so well. This hose does the same thing as a box for $25 , my cost .

[IMG]
  8. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    You two know way to much just go ride your bikes lol
  9. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I don't have time , what we need is a breather mod shoot out in Crash and Burn magazine.
    GrooveThang and LandofMotards like this.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    This weekend, Kennedy Meadows.
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  11. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Let me ask my wife. You going camping or some dual sport ride ? I'm geared tall , should be fine though. What about Chulkwalla ? It's closer and better suited for the shoot out :) lol
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The image above is from HNA Andy Jefferson's TE511. He ran the ZipTy tank on the Big Bear Dual Sport ride recently. Andy is a very fast rider and put our tank through punishing tests for 100 miles. The tank stayed completely cool and worked perfectly. Andy's current 0W40 oil level is a slight bubble at the top of the glass, cold. It takes considerable force to push air through the torque limiter and the holes which pass through are very tiny. Not only is the Zipty breather vent free flowing, it's also ten times larger than the holes in the TL. At idle it barely feels like it is blowing, but when hot and under load, the new breather evacuates all of the hot gasses from the system, unlike the oem breather which flows less and tends to siphon oil from the case. The bottle fits all exhaust models and also works well with the new IMS fuel tank. Race ready.

Experimentation is always good and I am happy to see others finding new ideas, it's how we got here. :)
    ascribner likes this.
  13. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Yeah thats awesome , are we riding ? lol
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Just looking at it I would say the Zipty adds much more volume, baffled tank, aluminum tank which will transfer heat way much faster, far better vapor reclaim, does not pass gasses by the torque limiter (which is a big reason for them developing it) and look freaking cool. these guys raced these bikes at high levels, found issues to resolve and engineered a great solution. With all due respect if their testing had shown you could just reroute a hose or two and be done with it thats what they would have done. Just my random thoughts, nothing more.
  15. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Random thoughts are good, that's half my posts . Yes I agree with you Kelly... However the the oil going down the OEM breather with the engine on is a great discovery ? :) .... Now let's put down the debate , the ZipTy oil reclaim system is trick and cool. My setup is designed to reclaim most blow by and carries the gasses away from the airbox for a cooler running engine by giving the gasses two ways to exit. I am happy with some measure of temp decrease at the TQ but I'm looking at overall engine temp decrease, the spent casing gasses (smog) is no longer going down the intake just like you have your bikes breather rerouted with a long hose . Most race teams do this to decrease high rpm temps. I simply tied the ZipTy breather to the OEM side and ran it over the valve cover to the chain. What oil gets threw goes on the chain .
  16. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    What's up with KM , I can cut off a bunch of miles from my house by going up cannel meadow trail strait up to Sherman peak .... Wife said I can go .
  17. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    [IMG]

Chulkwalla...
    [IMG] I can be your guide lol
    [IMG]
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Haha, I'd like to ride Chulkwalla, but I need to test out the new gears and setup first and just take it easy. Not sure when we are riding, one day we are river rafting down too, not sure.
  19. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300

I take it easy all the time ! Only when others push me to go faster do I push. The funny thing is my tires are perfect to chunk up on the rocky stuff , they have 750 dirt miles on them so twisting throttle threw broken indian arrows is perfect :) Let me know either day is good. The Kern River trail system around Keysville is a great spot for testing , you will be able to see the trail from your raft :thumbsup:
  20. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    as i understand now, the oil will drain back into the Stock breather hole...... ??!!!