1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st YZ/CR Fork Swap

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JRod4928, Sep 4, 2013.

1. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I have the potential to buy some SSS forks from an 06+ YZ that I want to install on my 2012 CR125.

I have a few fitment questions, mostly dealing with the front axle and brake caliper. I don't believe bolting the forks to the trees will be an issue.

Has anyone tried this?
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Why would you want to do this? You have basically the same fork in a 2012 CR125. :excuseme:
  3. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    The 2012 CR is an AOSS fork - same as the 2005 YZ's.

The 2006+ YZ's are the SSS forks.

They're both closed chamber forks, but the SSS is speed sensitive (obviously) and the AOSS is still position sensitive. I just came off of a 08 YZ and the SSS forks are incredible.

When I bought the bike I thought the Husky Kayaba's were the SSS forks, but they're not - based on my research. Check out this thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2011-cr-kyb-fork-info.21929/
  4. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    you can tell them apart by the 'bell' shape at the bottom of the upper tube, near the fork seals. The 05 YZ's and 2010+ CR's have the same 'bell' shape. They're AOSS.
  5. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    If you're doing that, why not just pick up a YZ axle, wheel, brake caliper and master as well? There is no shortage of Japanese bikes being parted on ebay. Turn around and sell the Husky setup and you've more than broke even.

We did that with a KX 125 front end on a KDX. Got the forks, triples, brakes, wheel, axle, etc for like $250. Pressed out the KX stem, pressed in the KDX stem and bolted it right up.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Having done this sort of thing several times on various bike it is far EZer to just bolt the entire front end on, stem, triple clamps, forks, wheel, brakes etc. Trying to sort out and build custom parts to make everything work is not EZ.
    sabortooth and JRod4928 like this.
  7. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    That is an option.

I wonder if the lower tube of an AOSS fork can be swapped with an SSS lower tube. That would solve all the problems.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Good point maybe just swap the part the axle goes through would make it all work if the tubes are the same and fit in the triples.
  9. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    The innerfork tube looks exactly the same to the naked eye based on a video of a rebuild of an AOSS tube, compared to a photo of a SSS tube that I've found. And the fork seal kit part numbers are exactly the same for AOSS and SSS forks. This isn't much to go off of, but it's something. The rebound adjuster (nut at the bottom of the fork) is the same part number too.

Another question is - are the tubes the same length. If they are - I'm feeling pretty confident. But it's difficult to find that out without buying some forks and tearing them down.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Because the axle sizes and caliper mounts and spacers and hubs and all are different I would think changing out the feel or the entire slider might make it a pretty EZ swap.
    JRod4928 likes this.
  11. Del Todd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 250 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KTM 200 XC, 450 EXC-R
    AOSS air oil separate system. Also known as KYB twin chambers are the same as Yamaha SSS. Same forks. I think Yamaha branded them SSS. Good stuff but you already have them.
  12. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    True, they are both AOSS, but they're not the same. It's like saying an iPhone3 is a good iPhone, but it's not an iphone5. The AOSS (as our Huskys CRs, and the 05 YZs have) is older technology, it's good, but it can be way better. The better version of the AOSS is the SSS. It is somewhat of a marketing ploy (thanks to MXA), but all I know is that I've ridden both and the SSS is far better in every way. I think the AOSS can be converted to SSS, but I don't have the money for that and it takes more than simply revalving- hence why I'm looking into this.
  13. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I don't believe the AOSS system was developed much farther than what we have now in our huskys. I've ridden it, and I wasn't impressed. I considered tuning the heck out of it, but I'd rather tune a SSS fork that I know can be great as opposed to tuning the Husky AOSS to something mediocre for my application.
  14. venturini Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '15 TC 250 '13 CR 150 '11 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 KTM 250 XC
    Interesting because I've been told numerous time by the guys at my local shop that the Husky KYB forks are the same as the 06+ Yamaha forks. The shop and I cross referenced the parts numbers from Race Tech for the '13 CR 125 forks and the 06 YZ 250 forks and the part numbers are the same. However, the part numbers from the 05 YZs are different.
  15. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    If so, how did Husky screw up the valving so bad? They could have just stolen Yamaha specs. And I wonder why the outer tubes look different between YZ and CR? I'm not doubting you or your suspension guy, I'm just asking questions.

It makes sense that the valves can be cross referenced, they are the same type of fork. I'll have to research this more later.
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Have you ever had either sets these forks apart?
  17. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    The SSS, yes. Last winter.
  18. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Look at the thread I posted above. It has pics of the AOSS in the 05 YZs vs SSS.

The 05 YZ outer tube looks identical to the Husky Cr. that doesn't mean the internals are the same, but it is unusual for KYB to make a different outer tube for the SSS if the internals didn't change.
  19. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    So you have never seen what's inside your CR fork?
  20. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Nope. And I'm not trying to argue that it's vastly different (in fact I'm not trying to argue at all). I'm pointing out that they share a striking resemblance to the 05 YZ forks.
    Motosportz likes this.