1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

YSS PD Valves for 40mm forks. Anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by flyarmy, Jan 4, 2009.

1. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

First, I really appreciate the information I get out of this site. It is much better than the other sites in my opinion...

Has anyone used the YSS PD valves for the 40mm forks? I tried to get information from RaceTech on gold valves and any valving for the Husky 40mm fork and they laughed. You want what!! Fernando from Husqvarna Parts Australia, has these valves and also makes a custom damping spindle with top out springs like the Maico forks have. If there is anyone out there that have used the PD valve and spindle/damping rod and can recommend them as the fix for the Husky fork, please let me know. Any Aussies out there that have used these?

Mike
  2. HuskyT Moderator

With Race Tech in Corona, you have to ask for one of the guys that specialize in older bikes. The 18 year old kid that answers the phone may know how to dial in a 2008 CRF450, score you some weed or get you tickets the latest - insert current rock band- Concert but doesn't have a clue what a Husky is much less a 40MM fork from 1983 ( years before he was even born)

I forget the name of the guy there but call them next week and be specific with what you are needing. Ask for the owner. The owner also races Vintage (83 CR480) and he is your best bet if you want to go through RaceTech.

Other than that, is this the kit that Phillip at Husqvarna parts in Arizona offers on his website? But shows that it is never in stock...? I'm interested myself.

T
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Those type valve will improve any old style damper rod type forks. They turn they into small cartage units that have a much more constant damping.

Hydraulic lock style rods also can work better than spring top out rods. You get a little more travel and they can be designed much smoother top out action than a spring.

I've never actually used them in an old Husky fork, but they should work the same, regardless.
  4. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've used the kit that is on Phillip's site, it's known as an ATK or HP after market damper kit and it works much better than the stock forks with cut-down springs (3" w/PVC spacer to "0" pre-load) and thicker oil but no near Honda or Yamaha forks. I ended up using 44mm FoxForx with a lot of testing for spring rates (from Race Tech). Another work around is to buy a pair of used post-85 forks, I think these (or a similar version) came stock. I also heard that the HP kits were also made for a time by Ty Davis' company.
  5. HuskyT Moderator

Can you buy the 44mm Fox Forx through race tech still? What do you have to do to the triples?

T
  6. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Gosh no! e-Bay or other sites have them come around every now and then but they're generally going for $1800+ with triple clamps (may or may not have stems). The you have to tune 'em or do basic maintenance. Once they're set up de da schizel.
  7. HuskyT Moderator

Sorry ... I'm not that naive but the way your previous post was worded it kind of sounded like they were sitting on the shelf at Race Tech.....:doh:my bad!!!

I have read all about these but haven't actually seen a pair..... I found this tonight while surfing the web and lifted the image.... this bike is owned by some guy in Oz ( thanks for the pic Husky Bro ... nice bike:thumbsup::cheers:) are these the forks you are talking about:

[IMG]

Note that this 1980 bike is sporting FoxForx.......+ 83/84 DLS, 18"rear wheel 82 /83 style... which are both conversions that I am putting into my restoration.... interesting front number plate as well..... any idea what it is? And possibly a 1978 390 pipe with heat shield?

T
  8. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

That is one great looking 1980 Husky!! Those FOX forks are the hot set up if you could afford a set. It's amazing with the demand out there that someone doesn't make them again. Oh well that's life. Thanks for the information on the YSS PD valves. They might be worth a try and maybe I will buy them soon? I know we are all trying to get the front end to work as nice as the back end. It's tough to beat the Ohlins shock. Mike
  9. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Ya there are some really well thought out mods on that one! Very nicely done. One of the best I've seen, really. Would be nice to hear from that owner, wouldn't it?

I had a friend who put Fox forks and piggyback shocks on his 1980 XR500, a-way back when (along with an extended/banana Franks swingarm which I've never seen since). The suspension was good but, unfortunately, I didn't ride the bike much so can't comment on all the details. Even then, they were expensive and considered super trick. There was tons of adjustability but, again unfortunately, we didn't know much about things like that at the time so we probably never had them working to their full potential. They do go for lots of $$$ if/when they come up for sale now. Usually, the seller knows what he's got and he's marketing them as such. Keep 'em coming!
  10. Fugi Husqvarna
    B Class

simmons made anticavitation kits for 40mm husky forks. i have a brand new set. they were the fix for 40mm forks. simmons was the first to make inverts i think.
  11. flyarmy Husqvarna
    B Class

It would be nice to have someone reverse engineer those Simons fork kits and sell them to us poor husky nuts with 40mm tubes. Could you post a picture of your anticavitation kit? I am just curious to see hat all they have on the damping rod. Yes, Simons made the inverted forks for Brad Lackeys 1982 Suzuki RM500 when he won the 500cc world championship. Mike
  12. 1983XC175 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Heres a pic of the UDX 60 forks like Brad Used. These were Rex Statens set. Now on a Maico.

Attached Files:

13. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class