1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Your opinion please for WR 400 1985 !!!

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by petros67, Jan 12, 2013.

1. JeffV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR650

Yeah even back in the '80s this was a problem. I remember buying case halves. You couldn't weld it b/c it was magnesium. If memory serves me right, though that is often not the case, someone, maybe it was Husqvarna, did come up with a fix for the problem; but don't quote me on this. I'd have to see if I could find my notes on the bike. Maybe they switched it over to aluminum so it could be welded? I just don't remember. I do remember this being the one problem with the bike. I would drain the coolant out after every ride and remove the water pump cover so it would dry out. Kind of a PITA.
  2. JeffV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR650
    As much as I'd love to, I have convinced my wife that I can buy a 2014 Beta, so I think that is about as far as I can go with new toys around the house. But who knows, PM me and I'll give you my email and you can email me some pictures. If anything, Id love to see the bike again!
  3. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    Jimspac,
    if you can please post some pics of yours..I am looking for a good 400....
    :applause:.....
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
  5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husqvarna changed the cover to aluminum in 1986 but even with the aluminum it is important to use coolant mixed with deionized water only, not tap water. I bought premix coolant that is certified as being mixed with deionized water. Even still the anti freeze still needs to be certified for aluminum. Mine had been kept in storage with Prestone in it . Mine was bad enough with the seal pocket corroded and gone and I have seen worse. But after what I accomplished with JB Weld, I would repair even worse with JB Weld or Caswell Epoxy
    justintendo likes this.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    are all covers 86 and up aluminum??? only the 85 covers are mag?? i cant believe i never knew this!!!
  7. JeffV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR650
    Isn't cool how this kind of knowledge is still kicking around in someones head and these kind of forums make it findable. I am always amazed!
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    man, ive been jb welding these things like my older cases cause i thought they were all mag. guess whos taking an armload of sidecovers to work tomorrow..time to buy my TIG friends a case of salted pistachios..
  9. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I am not sure if it was from the start of 1986 production or sometime into it but I know the clutch case for the 86 400WR I have is aluminum and the 1985 is magnesium. I can feel a definate weight difference between the 2 cases. I know my older aircooled cases are mag as well
  10. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    The '86 WR400 I had years ago had the magnesium clutch cover, I found out when I took it to a welder for repair, so it seems that jimspac is correct in saying that they may have changed sometime into '86 production.

I am told that the one I have just purchased has the aluminium cover but that could have been either standard or retrofitted after all these years.

Tony.
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    new allooominum covers are available
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    [IMG]
    I do not believe this stuff about aluminum clutch covers posted above. I went on an engine buying spree, 1988 engines a number of years ago, not all had the cover but I must have at least four and they all test magnesium by the file and burn the shaving method. The auto stuff I have is all aluminum, the four stroke cases I have are aluminum, I think I tested the cover and it also was magnesium If anyone ever comes to go riding in West Virginia with me we can file a bit off and see. Here is a picture of a corroded 87-88 cover. I never attempted to repair corroded covers as ground water around here comes from cracks in metamorphic rocks for private wells and anti freeze is used. The one repaired one with epoxy doesn't look like it lasted for years.

As to welding, I have welded on the extra bolt attachment and welded up cracks in those magnesium covers using tig arc welding. I suspect there is a good possibility even the corroded area could be repaired with torch and flux and the right rod. It might be a lot of set up work as if it gets too hot it will collapse. I think lead and zinc in the alloy make it not tig weldable, I have not successfully done a brake backing plate so I do not claim all the magnesium on these things is tig weldable.

As to the replacement aluminum ones there was a time when, the way it seemed to me reading the complaints the bore for the kick starter shaft wasn't exactly in the right spot. Do what you want but I would want a no questions asked return option if in original condition.
  13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The aluminum case had the extra lug as I understand things and as you know how interchangeable cases are between 1984 and 1988, it is likely that you ended up with 84 - 86 mag cases mounted onto 1988 engines if the original was crashed.
  14. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The picture also was done to show how the 87-88 larger clutch hence larger cavity of the primary cover changes the kick start bumper and parts. Somewhere around 1986 the extra bolt was added to the covers designed for the 5 spring clutch. I have even seen on line non water cooled covers with the extra bolt hole which most likely are from the four stroke model. I am not in a position to comment on what went on with replacement parts. In the older single cam section the added yet another bolt hole but the water pump was moved, I believe up on the head non cam chain side.
  15. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I remember when I had my '86, my local dealer told me that I could buy an aluminium replacement cover for my bike, from memory it was somewhere around $500 in 1990! Needless to say, I didn't buy it but it does indicate that Husqvarna had a fix for a well known problem.
    Perhaps it wasn't produced until after Husky was sold to Cagiva when these bikes were out of production?
  16. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I paid around $180.00 for those aluminium covers back then. it's almost a must have item if you want to continue to ride the bike and have it be reliable.
  17. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    the ones that Andy @ HVA factory sells seem like a really good quality item.
  18. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    t
    there was a factory replacement program if you got it done it was pretty much free but after that you were on your own
  19. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The covers that Andy is producing now look more like OEM than the covers he previously produced. I think close enough now to build an 80% restoration.
  20. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Fran is this clutch cover the same as yours? I will test it with some vinegar when I get a chance. Other than taking a sliver of material and trying to ignite it, is there another way to test Mag vs AL?

clutch cover.jpg