Yet another 610 jetting thread

Discussion in '610/630' started by Devin Marshall, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Devin Marshall Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Hi everyone, first post!! Wooo!

So I recently picked up a 2006 sm610. Bike had a lot I extras that came with it (LV slip on, multiple sprockets, jet kit, HIDs, airbox mod, etc.)

The bike has a Sigma Jet kit on it, and the guy told me it was running rich when I bought it. I rode it for a bit, and at full throttle there was pretty bad surging. I took a look and it was running a 45 pilot, 185 main. From everything I've read, not so far off. I have the paperwork and actually sigma claims you should run a 55 where as most things or seen claim 45 as well as installing an o-ring on the accelerator pump for increased fuel pressure?... Either way partial throttle everything seems good, but wide open It's still having issues. There airbox is opened up but it seems that even the 178 main still has issues. I also received a paper from some other company with the bike that has part number and values for; Main Jet-178, Slow jet-45, starter jet-85, slow air jet -100, main air jet-200. Do these sound right or could anything here be throwing it off.

I can literally feel it pull harder and harder as the throttle approches 80%, then it seems to get gagged as if it's not getting enough air. I've checked the plug and it's tan, though I'm not usually pulling full throttle especially as I get closer to home in my neighborhood (that LV can be prettttty loud when you're rippin. Haha my dad even said he can hear me echoing through the mountains as I'm riding)

I'm roughly at 500ft-3000ft where I ride with 70-90 degree weather and 50-95% humidity.
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I am running a 178 main and a 45 pilot on my 2006 TE 610. 185 might be a bit rich, but I doubt it would case hesitation. Might want to try a 178 or a 180 and see how that feels.

FYI, if the previous owner didn't do so already, replace the stock leak jet plug with a regular one with a hole. I don't remember what size I am running, maybe 60?

Your issue sounds like it could also be ignition. Have you tried a new plug and verified gap?
  3. Devin Marshall Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    I am running the 178 now. And while it's better it's still has the hesitation occasionally, and I can feel the power sort of drop after the last 10-15% throttle... It has the iridium plug, though I didn't check the gap. I'll have to do that and see, maybe it's just old and I'll have to get a new one. I'll have to verify that the leak jet was swapped. But judging by everything else I'd imagine it probably was. Let's hope a new plug will do the trick, though I'm getting surgery on my wrist on Monday so I won't be able to ride for a bit haha.
  4. DoubleD22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I know this thread jacking a little, but I figure it is better than starting a whole new thread...

I just picked up an 06 sm 610 a couple weeks ago and I am starting to work through some of the little things and personalize it. The only negative running condition is that there is a surge at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. It is a condition that shows itself only during light load steady throttle. Once there is sufficient wind resistance (highway speed steady throttle) it seems to go away. Around town it is rather annoying. Everywhere else jetting seems fine. If I remember correctly (its been a while since I have messed with jetting) this could be a float level condition or a needle taper or height condition. Is that about right? I haven't pulled anything apart to see what jets are in it, but the bike had JD stickers all over it and came with a box of loose jets.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

You can jet that thing from now till doomsday and never tune out that part throttle hick-up by jetting. Using a iridium spark plug will help tremendously.
  6. DoubleD22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I have a hard time believing that. So everyone rides around with a wild hicup/surge at what is the most common throttle opening for steady pace? If that were to be true, I would have to believe a lot of people would giving this bike/setup bad reviews. The mine is running is not what I would ever call an acceptable condition. If it were a dirt only bike, or MX bike, I might be ok with it because you would rarely have this kind of steady throttle. But as well liked SM and Dual Sport platform, I just can't accept it.

Now, I have pulled the carb out and started digging in to it. Hopefully I will find some information that I can use to solve this condition. It looks like the pilot jet is a 50 and the main is a 175. I can't seem to get the needle out to see what position it is set to, but it appears to be the red JD needle.
  7. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    My 06 TE has a similar thing. It's very subtle, but it has a stumble/surge when at very light steady throttle, probably happens every 5-15 seconds in that condition. I never notice it offroad, but on a long road section or on the SM setup I will occasionally feel it.

I think mine's jetting related because it seems to change when I adjust the pilot. I haven't gotten it dialed out yet, but I also have not tried very hard.

I may try an iridium plug but I don't know if that will solve it.
  8. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    My 07 had a hesitation that I could never get rid of until the Lectron went on. I tried changing the AP set up including leak jets, pilot jets and needles. Oh and it has had an iridium plug in it.
    It runs perfectly now from top to bottom and gets better mileage.
  9. DoubleD22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Really?! I just looked it up. Not a bad looking carb. It seems really inexpensive...and no jets?! Weird.
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    There is actually an externally adjustable topend jet.
    I don't have a dog in the fight except that I worked with Kevin Gilham from Lectron and tried 5 (I think it was) all together during the fine tuning. Kelly of course worked on the project too.
    If you didn't see it. here is a link related to the 610 application:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/lectron-on-a-te-sm-610-4-stroke.31133/
  11. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    60k miles and my carb's never been apart, save for a broken choke sensor wire.

I don't understand how everyone has so many carb issues.

Devin - are you in Surrey?
  12. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    If you are still running the stock leak jet (which isn't a jet, but rather just a plug), then you are missing a HUGE amount of throttle response. There is definitely also some power to be had from getting the jetting dialed. It's your call whether that interests you or not. :excuseme:
    JonXX likes this.
  13. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Ok, correction. The jetting was set on day one for the Leo pipe. I should have said *I* have never had the carb apart (I bought the bike with ~5k miles on it). The old engine made 52hp, I haven't had it on the dyno since replacing the engine.
  14. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    Anyone know for sure what Leak jet to install?

I'd like to order one... I'm thinking that's why I have such a hard time getting my front wheel off the ground.

Also what Starter jet?

My bike is a bit of a beast to wake up every weekend when I want to ride it, no matter if it's hot or cold outside.
  15. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Try a #60 leak jet.

Mine never likes to cold start, I always give it a couple quick twists to shoot some gas in with the accelerator pump, usually fires right up after that.
    JonXX likes this.
  16. Devin Marshall Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    JonXX, I'm located in Pennsylvania near "Cabela's" if you happen to know where that is.

I'm hoping the issue will be resolved with a new plug. Im in a cast since the surgery so no luck in wrenching or riding yet. Few more weeks...
  17. DoubleD22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I raised the needle a notch to number 5 spot. The steady throttle surge changed, but did not get cured. I read a lot of posts from the last 8 years about this topic, and there is no single solution which is boggling my mind. Most people talk about it being an RPM specific issue. But I think that is a mis-statement. It is a throttle opening related issue. Which in itself indicates to me it has mostly to do with jetting. I am still in search of that cure!
  18. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    Unplug the TPS, rejet the carb, and change the plug to an Iridium one.

178 Main
    45 Pilot
    Stock Needle (OBDVR) at 4th Clip

Assuming you have an open exhaust...

My bike does not surge at all.
  19. DoubleD22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    That sounds good.

I have a 175 main and the JD kit that I received with the bike has a 172 and 168 or something. THis has me a little confused as most of the internet postes over the last 8 years shows 180 main.
    I have the 45 pilot, which seems to be the consensus.
    I am using the JD red needle and I just moved it from 4th to 5th position. I may go back to 4th, but haven't decided on that yet.
    I will also get the iridium plug and will try the TPS disconnect. I am trying to only make one change at a time to understand what is making the difference. It is hard NOT to just do all of the changes at once.

The other thing that is bothering me is that the fuel screw does not seem to make a huge difference. I can turn it all of the way in and the bike still runs fine. I can turn it out to 4 turns and it still runs. There is some minor differences, but nothing that allows me to properly determine where to set it.
  20. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    If the bike will run with the fuel screw all the way in, your pilot is probably too rich.

The JD kit should have come with the #60 leak jet that you need.