yamaha xt help

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by gazmcfaza, Feb 13, 2014.

1. gazmcfaza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    , yamaha xt 125
    hopefully it's the right place to post, I'm having trouble with an xt 125 yamaha, I tighten the chain up properly, adjust the clutch to bite half way out [not right as you let go of the lever] yet no matter what I try unless I really really rev the bike and slip the clutch the sprocket spins around grabbing at the chain, rather than pulling it round. This only happens in first gear pulling away and the chain and sprockets are still a very new set. Any ideas?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The sprocket is turning inside the chain? And the chain and sprockets are in good shape? this is nearly impossible. I have never seen this unless the countershaft sprocket is severely warn and missing teeth. (which used to happen 40 years ago when I was a stupid kid :>)
  3. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    that is impossible if your chain n sprockets are even close to serviceable i think what your feeling is worn out engagement dogs on the 1st gear set iv done that
  4. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Take a picture of the chain and sprockets, and the front sprocket and countershaft area.

If both sprockets and the chain are new, it's nearly impossible that they will slip. Either something is really jacked up, or the slip is somewhere else (clutch, countershaft).

Is the clutch properly adjusted so that there is freeplay at the lever?
  5. gazmcfaza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    , yamaha xt 125
    ok, I degreased the chain, oiled it up then tightened it up, it moves about 30 mm or 3 cm up and down if you push the chain up on the bottom rung, it was at 5cm, on ride it seems much better, if I'm sat on it it moves about 1cm. Clutch seems fine, biting point is about a quarter of releasing the lever from the bar, I'll check in day light tommorow and see if the sprocket still spins inside the chain without me on it. I always thought chain slack was supposed to be 40/50 mm, is 30mm too tight?
  6. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    dude i dont mean 2b rude or sound like a smart ass but i think you need to put the pipe down chain an sprockets dont slip unless there way way way worn out
  7. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Chain slack requirements will be in the owner's manual. Approximately +/- 1.0 inches is probably the right ballpark. Excess chain slack will not cause the chain to "skip" on the sprocket, unless the excess slack is VERY extreme. I bet you could run double the factory recommended slack (way more than 40/50mm) and not have any issues besides excessive lash in the drivetrain.

Again, there is basically no way that the sprocket is spinning inside the chain if the sprockets and chain are new, like you said. Either they aren't new, or something is really wrong (like the wrong chain on the bike), or the sprocket isn't spinning in the chain. If the sprocket is truly spinning inside the chain, you have a problem that won't be solved by adjusting the slack or the clutch engagement (like the wrong type of chain on the bike).
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    this is about the only way a sprocket can slip...

[IMG]
    duggoey likes this.
  9. gazmcfaza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    , yamaha xt 125
    yeah, the sprockets nothing like that, still very pointy :D I think it's just me having it too loose, seems fine now
  10. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Surely few more rides left?