yamaha xt clutch change help

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by gazmcfaza, Sep 1, 2014.

1. gazmcfaza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    , yamaha xt 125
    Allright, I bought some new clutch friction plates for the xt 125, 4 little round ones, they smell! I took the kickstart off, then the clutch cover with the gasket on it, then the clutch bolts and springs, then the pressure plate, then one by one the friction plates and the steels in between them came out. I'm now soaking the new friction plates in oil overnight as I want to try fit them tommorow evening. But the steel plates, which look fine, no funny colours just a nice silver and with a light bit of oil left in places, do I need to soak them in new oil too or can I just put them back in as they are then let the new oil soak into them once I put the side panel etc back on and fill the engine up?
  2. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Sometimes its good to replace them as a set but if there are no grooves you might be ok
    You shouldn't have to soak the steel plates, you only have to soak the friction plates because they are fibrous/porous. If you set them straight in and ran the motor without soaking the friction plates they get hot really quickly and when they break up it can get messy.
    Its good practice to line the steels with oil when you install them though and make sure you put them back in the same alternating order as they came out I.e. friction-steel-friction etc. Also sometimes one friction plate will be a different diameter and the different one will either be 1st or second from the front, closely check the ones that came out to be sure.
    gazmcfaza likes this.
  3. gazmcfaza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    , yamaha xt 125
    thankyou, I've put it back together and it works great, just need to adjust the clutch cable, friction plate went in first and last and had a good soaking, I'll put new steels in next time if it gets burnt out again