1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

XC430 Fork Noise

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by gregg0323, Apr 4, 2015.

1. gregg0323 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430xc
    Recently picked up an 82 XC430. It was in decent shape but tore it apart to restore before riding it. Finally done but I hear a clank when I compress forks and they extend back. Sounds like metal hitting metal. I used 5wt oil and filled with 450cc in each leg. I haven't put air in forks yet. Any ideas what this could be?
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On my fork, when there's noise when extended, the plastic ring on the Inside tube must be changed.(don't know the word in English)
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The plastic washer on the damping spindle !
  4. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
  5. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    yeah they are pretty known to fail . my 500 does it but i dont mind the fork action atm so havent fixed it yet . it only does it when im putting it on the stand
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    not a bad idea to replace these when servicing seals. will also make this noise "topping out" when low or out of fluid. dont use air in the forks either, almost everyone agrees it just makes them harsher and restricts their movement in a bad way.
  7. gregg0323 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430xc
    Thanks everyone. How hard to replace them?
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    very easy once the fork is apart..they go right on the end of the damping rod you just had out. just dont spread em too far when putting them on..if you havent actually taken the forks apart, they are shockingly simple. they likely have about an inch of crap at the bottom. better order 4 seals as well. this model has double seals in each leg. get good ones! a nd a can or two of brake cleaner. many here including myself like good ol atf in them
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    get the bike upon a high stand, whip the front wheel out, then loosen the fork caps and if you have straight bar mounts, pull the bars off. then underneath the forks is an allen head screw. 8mm? I think..may be 6mm. undo it with a oil container underneath as oil goes everywhere. once undone the fork slider will slide right off (this is why you need a high stand;) ) leaving the damping rod exposed. pull the fork cap and springs out then unclip the circlip holding the damping rod in and its ready to have the washer replaced.:thumbsup:

if this makes no sense at all, check out the parts pdf in the tech section here and lookeesee. shimples
  10. gregg0323 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430xc
    Tore the forks down and found both top out washers in decent shape. Cleaned inside of forks up and put back together with 15wt oil. One fork makes noise on full extend but the other doesn't. Strangest thing. Noise isn't as loud most likely due to heavier oil but just can't figure out why one clanks. How does the top out plastic washer prevent the metal clank in the first place? The washer doesn't separate the metal components so guess some hydraulic action based on the design of the washer is what prevents this?
  11. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Maybe , they were not in decent shape ? Did you have new ones to compare to ? I don't think just by looking at them that you can tell if there are not worn. They are a wear item and probably need to be replaced. Hope this helps , its probably not what you want to hear tho now that they are back together.
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    if they arent broken they are working. they seem to usually fall apart or break before they "wear out". all the washer does is force oil through, thats what limits the top out clunk. so yes it is a hydraulic action that stops the top out clunk. do you have enough oil in the forks? if they are low it will clunk as there is no oil to flow thru the top out washer.
    also, make sure the fork is fully collapsed with no spring when you tighten the damper rod bolt, then check for smoothness in operation, no binding.
  13. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    they can be slightly bent and or worn without looking bad and make the forks top out. at a couple of buck ea, just flick some new ones in and then you know its something else if it continues.
  14. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
  15. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you check the damper rod condition for rub marks ?

I had a similar noise on my 82 430 and it turned out to be the damper rod wasn't properly centralized when the previous owner put the forks back together. I always compress the forks when I put the rods back in and do the bottom bolt up with the legs vertical so they pull down tight and central.

I did post some pictures on here somewhere from how I do it.

Steve
  16. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    good one forgitted allus about that. always with husky forks, compress the tubes with the bottom allen bolt loose so the damping cone is pushed into the centre of the chamfer in the fork tubes before tightening it up. makes a heap of difference.