Wuka King on Terra

Discussion in 'TR650' started by ediehl, Oct 7, 2014.

1. ediehl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ulysses, Norge, Goldwing
    My 2014 Terra (purchased a few months ago from Appalachian Offroad, and now at 2K miles) did not have fueling issues nearly as extreme as some of the stories I've heard here, though it did, from the beginning, stall immediately after a cold start, and then start and run OK. Only a couple times did the warm engine stall when taking-off from a stop, though the idle was erratic and I thought that the bike felt a bit sluggish at minimal throttle. So I decided to try the Wuka King cable.

The idle has smoothed out, and it feels to me as though the minimal-throttle sluggishness is diminished or perhaps even gone. The bike runs really well now, though it ran fairly darn well beforehand anyway. It does still do the start/stall-restart/run routine when cold, and this AM I had a strange experience when starting it cold; it would not fire. Outdoor air temp was around 60 degrees F. After several attempts it did start and run normally, and though the fuel level was low I had no problem riding ~20 miles to a gas station. I noticed the little snowflake icon was flashing and so I toggled the dash over to the outdoor temperature display (which I have always viewed with some skepticism), and it started off in the upper 20's and got into the lower 30's as the actual temp rose into the mid-60's during my ride. I suppose that is the purpose of the Wuka; to make the bike think it's colder outside, so that it will fuel a little richer? The Wuka switch is currently set in the below-85 degrees position. According to my gauges, fuel consumption has gone from ~64 mpg to 62.5, though that was measured over a not quite 25-mile course.
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Correct.
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    2mpg drop in consumption is about the same as what I saw when I fitted my wuka-king.
  4. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    That is about 6% richer than stock.
  5. ghbgator Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Honda XR125
    Installed the WukaKing; One ride so far; No low RPM Stalling, No 3k rpm stumble....Happy :banana: 1st Impression
    nev.. likes this.
  6. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Good choice, From reports the wukaking doesn't seem to be adapted out by the ECU. (if that makes sense) And I think this is because of the two settings switch. I'm still running the booster plug and for the second time in 18000k's it has been adapted out, so ill uninstall it and run 3 or 4 tank full's, then reinstall the BP. Yeh The Bitch is back!!
  7. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    The WK works in the same way as the BoosterPlug and as long as your O2 sensor is connected and working, the ECU will learn and adapt to the temperature error the WK creates.

At the moment that you switch from the WK's cold setting to its warm setting, the ECU will lean-off the mixture, which will likely cause slightly poorer running temporarily--until that error is learned and adapted to.
  8. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
  9. Jon Knutson Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 KTM 450 SX-F (Street Legal)
    My bike definitely "learned" out my WK, so I ditched it for a AF-XIED much happier now.
    ghbgator likes this.
  10. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

As Roger says the ECU has this ability to apply trims and learn out, it always will based upon its program to react on feedback from the lambda.

So, despite what other say -

Booster Plug = a resistance to change the AIT sensor thermistor value at a given temperature is learnable by the ECU.
    Wuka King = a similar device with a switchable second thermistor to give a different temperature reading to the ECU and is learnable.

My variable resistance in series with the original AIT sensor thermistor works on the same principle as the above but costs a lot less. I vary the resistance up and down to give the ECU fairly constant temperature readings as the actual air temperature goes up and down.
    According to the feedback loop my VR is also learnable by the ECU and although it seems to work well, I am pretty sure it is not the ideal fix.

AF-XIED appears to be the best option as far as price and operational stability are concerned, after all it basically spoofs the lambda readings to the ECU which is the feedback loop completed.
    I have not yet seen a negative post about AF-XIED, so it looks like my $$$ are going that way pretty soon.
  11. ghbgator Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Honda XR125
    I sent an email to John Cottrell of WukaKing asking him if the ECU will "adapt" to the WukaKing and if there is anything that can be done so that the TR doesn't run so lean.
  12. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Dont stress it, when it happens, disconnect it, ride around for 2 or 3 weeks (?) and then reconnect it. Should be all good again for another 5/10,000Ks. That has been my experience with the BP. WK seems to go OK for longer periods as reflected "by others" in the SPOOFER POLL.
    Mark_H likes this.
  13. ghbgator Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Honda XR125
    I uninstalled the Wuka King months ago. It took only one full day of trail riding for the ECU to learn it.

So at this point is there a permanent fix? A fix that I can install and not have to fiddle with.
    I am willing to spend the money as long as it fixes the problem. When this bike is not stalling, it is a fucking blast to ride. Yesterday, 3 1/2 hours on EDSA in Manila (think, the worst fucking traffic you have ever ridden in) and it tried to stall dozens of times.
  14. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    I'm having good results going the AF-XIED route.

I was not having any issues with Wuka King except the occasional stumble which I found to unacceptable.

The Wuka was uninstalled when I installed the AF-XIED. On setting 7 the stumbles disappeared but it still stalled until it was at operating temperature.
    I am now using setting 8 and the stalling issue is no longer a factor except when starting off from cold ; which means using a bit more throttle (instead of large amounts of throttle and plenty of clutch).

Haven't felt a need to reinstall the Wuka King except for the advantage of having a secondary air temperature sensor that is not located over the back of the engine.

The bike has to earn it's keep commuting between home and work (6kms and 15 minutes each way). On the weekends it's out in the country touring on secondary roads. Not the best for optimising ECU trims.

Hope this helps.
    PaulC likes this.
  15. ediehl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ulysses, Norge, Goldwing
    After riding with the WK for a while the bike started running worse than it did before the WK, so after fiddling around with this and that for a while, I uninstalled the WK, and it got better. Still not right, though. I've never had much of a stalling issue (except immediately after i start it cold---every time), but it has started to occasionally feel like it's bogging when riding steady throttle around 3K RPM. After much fiddling I wondered if it was tank venting issue, and found that the bike will ride almost perfect when the gas cap is removed. So I then disassembled the cap and drilled more venting channels and removed the rubber seal and the ball-valved overflow tube from the part of the tank where the gas cap fits. That made it better, but still not perfect. I may try opening more vents in the gas cap...