WTB: TE630 '11 replacement engine

Discussion in '610/630' started by Michael Friis, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Michael Friis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I bought a a TE630 a month ago. An my 2nd big ride, the engine stopped while going down the highway (it turns over fine). I got it towed home and unsuccessfully tried various fixes before taking it to Munroe Motors here in San Francisco. They tried even more things before draining the oil and finding a big piece of metal stuck to the drainplug magnet. Their prognosis is that the engine is done for.

So I'm looking for a replacement engine for a TE630. They can't be had from the factory. I'll call Hall's Monday, but wanted to check if anyone here might have a replacement sitting around or have other suggestions for sourcing a spare.

Thank you
    Michael
  2. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Unless the motor completely exploded, I can't see why it couldn't be repaired for less than a new one would cost. At worst you'd be looking at a crank/bottom end replacement rebuild and a new top end.
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

What he said.

The big piece of metal is likely the leftovers from a clutch basket spring bushing.

Or wait for SWM to start selling the crate motors from the new 630 clone bikes, which is supposedly in the works.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/swm-650-the-630-returns.80272/
  4. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Have they done a leak down? What were the results? Compression check? If the engine turns over without any weird noise and the engine didn't stop running in a cloud of smoke I doubt you have a unrepairable mechanical failure.

5. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    I can probably get you an SWM 650 engine?

Erik
    Italhusky.com
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

If you can do that please keep us posted on price. I know I'd be interested (possibly, depending on price, of course.)
  7. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I can even deliver with a spare parts catalogue. :P They ain't cheap though. They are on the pricelist for 4500 EURO ex VAT.... However I can offer you one at 3150 EURO ex VAT ex Shipment (I placed a big SWM order in bikes so I have a little bit of goodwill).
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

Huge thanks Erik- we appreciate all you're doing. Yes- that's pricey alright, but I suppose it's the expected ballpark. I think what I'll have to do (as will be the case with most of us) is remain practical and hopeful (so, practically speaking, order what's needed as we go along and the hopeful part being that SWM will indeed be successful and will therefore be a future pipeline of parts for us 630 lovers.)
  9. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I will publish a new webshop in a week or two with SWM parts. Including all the exploded views of the 650. So you guys can see the differences between the 630 and 650.
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Correct. Maybe a piece of something stuck in the primary or clutch gear.

Take it apart and see.

I had my Wr400 start to make a huge racket in the woods,,,towed it out and took it apart.
    It was a tiny piece of gear stuck behind the kickstart idler and it fell out when we took it apart.
    Made a god awful racket!
  11. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Any headway on this? Many want to see what (if anything) is different between the Husqvarna and SWM 630/650.
  12. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Currently so busy that we didnt have time yet haha! But it is coming!
    I do have the spareparts catalogue, but am forbidden by my importer to share it online as PDF.
    however send me an email and I will send you some printscreens of the information you need!

support@italhusky.com
  13. Busted RS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630, WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    DT360A's
    Michael,
    Do you mind letting us know what the outcome of this experience was ? Did you have it repaired ? What was actually wrong with the motor ?

Always keen to hear of others experience so we all learn what to keep an eye out for.
  14. Michael Friis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

I got a (used) replacement engine with ~1500 miles on it and it was installed by Munroe Motors. I rode that for a couple hundred miles, then the head gasket blew. I couldn't find more spare engines and soured on the bike. I sold the bits a couple weeks ago.
  15. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
  16. Busted RS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630, WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    DT360A's
    Thank you for your reply Michael. These bikes don't necessarily suit everyone, so best wishes for the replacement.

Power on regardless.
  17. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    You wanted to replace the engine because of a blown head gasket?
  18. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two engine failures..? Did the bike have some kind of fuel programmer or just a PU plug?

19. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I would never call a head gasket failure a big deal, definitely not an engine failure.
  20. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    We'll have to disagree on that. It's going to require time consuming disassembly and is not something most of us want to do, especially if we're 2000 miles from home on a trip. Furthermore it's not something that should happen on modern vehicles in a correct state of tune. ...Maybe it's not a big deal to a mechanic that gets paid to do this stuff every day. :)

I know I sound like a broken record, but the 630s are very lean on the big end if you're not adding fuel somehow. A bad tank of gas or wrong octane and you're really hammering things in the engine. Maybe it has nothing to do w/ fueling, but when I read that someone has had two failures in a couple hundred miles I'm asking myself why and trying to help. That's why I asked the OP the fueling question. An engine w/ 1500 miles should not have a blown head gasket.

There's anther thread here where rod bearings are hammered at 7000 miles ... same thought.

My bike w/ just PU kit - all those pulls are wicked lean.
    [IMG]

The 93oct "lean" pull vs. proper fueling.
    [IMG]