WRONG torque spec!

Discussion in '610/630' started by MATPOC, Feb 22, 2018.

1. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Why am I even surprised, right? Should have went with my gut and did a little more searching, but the engine assembly manual says 5 fl/lbs for the balance shaft nuts, thought it was very low but who am I to question the people who wrote the manual, right? WRONG! May be they wrote it wrong, maybe lost in translation, but it's wrong in 2 different places! This is why the balance shaft nuts backed out and my motor locked up! And now I need new intermediate engine cover as well on top of balance shaft (which I already sourced) Cases are together, waiting for more parts... could have bought a new one for the money I spent fixing this bike :)

Original rebuild link http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/new-guy-with-te610-questions.86895/

Husky 610 Workshop Manual - English.jpg

my 2nd cover (starter support) on the left, melted around the bearing from when the balance shaft nut backed out and started rubbing on it.
    Original one on the right with cracks from those idiots in FL (MotoCourse Performance) who did not align starter gear and forced it closed, cracking it.

inter_cover-610.jpg
  2. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    here's the starter gear that was rubbing against balance shaft, thinking I might want to replace that but it has no damage on the working surface or bearing surface...

case cover 610.jpg
  3. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    there is a comma error in the measure in pounds
    70N / m = 7,2kg / m = 52ft / lb.
    did not a mechanic realize this error?
    the value in Nm is correct !!
    Theo likes this.
  4. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    I did not see this page till now, because I was looking for torque spec on crankshaft nut, below is the page from assembly manual, only has wrong specs with wrong decimal

Husky 610 Workshop Manual p112.jpg
  5. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    I'm very sorry for what happened to you
    undoubtedly in the translation a comma has not been put to the right point because no attention has been paid in rereading the manual before printing but
    but
    but
    it is not conceivable and admissible that any mechanic or person capable of doing the job does not realize that the reported value is wrong by a decimal.
    7.2 Nm can be reached by tightening the bolt with bare hands
    without tools.
    how do you tighten a nut so important so little?
    I'm sorry for what happened to you but you can not just blame the "decimal point"
  6. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    I removed the nut using small electric Bosch tool, seems it was torqued very low, also there is no power being transferred to balance shaft it just spins free, so I assumed the low torque setting was enough for that, still I went to maybe 25, whatever felt "tight", don't remember exact number, also thinking that flat washer with tab was going to keep it in place... And I was in a rush, did not think to check other sources....

Lesson learned, trust my gut before translated manual ;)
  7. CN22 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki DRZ400

Sad.... really.

But a mechanic should know that an 18 or 16 mm bolt will require much more torque that 5.2 ft/lb (~= 7 Nm).

Talking with ignoring some special situations; as the size of bolt increase, required torque will increase and more or less there is a linear relation. Whereas 7 Nm is very very low and mostly required on very small bolts or very fragile/sensitive parts.

I hope u will fix it soon with not spending a lot...
  8. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    It's getting there... slowly, took 4 month to get the head back from a friend who was gonna do a valve job in 3 days, and when I got it back it still wasn't done,
    so I had taken it to someone a little more professional, took him 2 weeks, wish I did it back in November...

head installed, motor in the frame, photo taken tonight :)

Will put more info on one of the other threads when I have time

20180416_164602.jpg