Wrench Logo on dash -- Engine sputtering issue

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Russell Ph, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Russell Ph Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013/2014 TR650 Strada
    Hello Husketeers!

I just got myself a TR650 Strada 2013/14 model

I have a huge issue but I wanna give you a little background first as it may help answer my questions...

It has some cool upgrades bought it from a nice guy in Manila Philippines. He is a bit of novice rider but managed to put 10,000 km on it. I can tell he is a novice rider because of his trips and his stories. I have been riding for over 15 years and it comes down to my gut. Anyhow long story short novice highway miles on this bike. This bike was imported from Italy.

I buy the bike and need to ride it home (4 hours away). For those of you who don't know Manila it is like New York City x 1000 as far as traffic and heat goes.

I got on the bike and have done by research so I know some of the common problems with the computer and stalling and etc.

I was in this crazy hot traffic for about 2 hours and right towards the end of it (after i was dying of near heat stroke and sunburn) the bike starts to sputter really badly. It was stalling out and making some crazy backfire noises and etc. I looked at temp gauge thinking it was over heating (it's hot and all but not that hot) and it was at about 50 degrees C.

I pulled over to take a 5 min water break and let the bike cool down thinking it would solve the issue. -- It doesn't.

It does not get any worse but it definitely did not get any better either.

I get on the freeway and am able to cruise at 120kph and get home. (no real issues on the freeway, 5th gear steady throttle, no real opportunity for it to die) Once I get there i notice the "wrench symbol" was on. I looked it up and it means "service" thanks btw super broad.

Once I get home I let it rest for about 2 hours. It is cooled all the way down. Turned it over again and it just sounds like the tune is way way off. Sputtering like crazy. Sounds like it is misfiring. There was even a wierd sound like high pressure air escaping somewhere (assuming exhaust). Honestly it sounded to me like a bike that was completely out of tune. Just rode / idles like shit.

So I do my research and I have come to 2 conclusions.

#1 -- the values have never been tighten down (confirmed with the seller) and the bike was finally broke in -- hence the novice slow rider background. -- I ride like a bat out of hell
    #2 -- the computer needs to be reset with a MOSS. it needs to be remapped and etc -- the wrench light coming on give me this idea

Last comments: oil / service is new and it is not due for another service for another 2000k.

Am I on the right track here or what do you guys think?
  2. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    I thought we answered most of your questions in the Husqvarna Philippines forum when your bikes previous owner posted the query ??

Wrench symbol is only a service indicator and has no effect on the running of the bike, it can be reset or left on with no adverse results. If you want to get rid of it you have two choices, take the bike to Granstar and get ripped 2500 pesos for the minor reset, or find somebody with a GS-911 tool or equivalent and get it reset.
    As far as I am aware, Remapping is not yet possible here in the Philippines and many other places in the world. Despite many here in PH (including Granstar) telling you they can do it, what you are getting is a basic reset and nothing more. It will not permanently address the ' lean stumble' issues for which there is now an ongoing recall as it has finally been recognised as a safety issue - do not hold your breath for anything being done here in PH on this issue, it is going to take some considerable time. Look at other ways to solve it, there are many options.

Your bike has covered 11000 km and you are talking about Valves having been never tightened down - this is something I really do not understand.
    Unless there is a problem with the ' top end' there is no need for any opening up or adjustments at this mileage.

You say the bike has 'cool upgrades' but what are they exactly? - If nothing has been done to correct the 'lean stumble' then that is what you are experiencing, welcome to the club. Running in Manila with a 50c Airbox temperature will cause the bike to run even leaner and splutter exactly as you describe. - Time to do something about it and there are many different proven mods available, the choice is yours.

It is not possible for the Strada to be 'out of tune' as you describe it, everything is electronic based upon information from sensors and ecu programming there is little or no adjustment on the parameters.

Start at the beginning, check the air filter, put in some decent fuel, make sure everything is as it should be, then we can start to diagnose your issues, if there really are any.
    mai likes this.
  3. Russell Ph Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013/2014 TR650 Strada
    Mark

Thanks for the info on the wrench symbol.

All bikes have a break in period not ALL of them will require a valve adjustment. Either way I went ahead and and took apart the top end with a mechanic friend of mine and measured the gaps and low and behold they were way off. We just adjusted them to specs (tighten them down) and threw it all back together.

The bike is running like a charm now!

The 50c temp should have no effect nor should it cause it to sputter? Not sure where that comes from. The reason I mentioned it is I was not sure if the computer has a low RPM fail safe like some smaller mm newer bikes do. When they get hot as a safety feature they will sputter out and die to keep the heads from over heating but this is obviously not the case for my situation. Took it back to Manila got it up to just over 50c and it still runs just fine so nothing to worry about there.

Thank you so much for all the info Mark I am sure your the right guy to know for these Huskies so I will definitely keep an eye out for your posts!

Thanks again
  4. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Check both spark plug/coil connectors are pushed home
  5. Glengemen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha Raider 1900
    Might be worth looking at the vacuum connector near the throttle body where the charcoal canister connection goes. Needs to have a cap or hose on it. If I recall this has bit someone before.
  6. etotore Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR 200
    Great that you have fixed it, :applause:
    I had a bike with broken mid electrode on spark plug "inside", behaved a bit like yours, backfires and jumpy.
    Then again Terra 650 has two so less likely to happen, just info for other reading this tread later...
  7. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It comes from the laws of Physics in that hot air is less dense that cold air, which is why most engines run a lot better on cool air.
    (turbochargers, Intercooolers etc etc)
    Basically the cooler the air, the more dense it is, and the more fuel (energy source) can be mixed with it to achieve good combustion. The ECU reads the air intake temperature and injects the fuel accordingly to achieve combustion resulting in power and economy. Cold Air = More Fuel

Reversely, the hot 50c air reading causes the ECU to inject less fuel and the engine runs lean, develops less power and, often in the case of single cylinder units, eventually splutters and stalls - hence the name 'lean stumble' attributed to the TR650 issues.

This is where the WUKA and other temperature spoofer theories derive their effect - give the ECU a false lower air temperature reading and cause it to inject more fuel to overcome the 'lean stumble' = hope that explains it.
  8. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, it was a bike I was working on, had the cannister removed but left Purge Valve in place. The Purge Valve was faulty and the engine ran really bad.
    Took it all out and capped the throttle body connector - all good.