Wrench Logo on dash -- Engine sputtering issue

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Russell Ph, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Russell Ph Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013/2014 TR650 Strada
    Hello Husketeers!

I just got myself a TR650 Strada 2013/14 model

I have a huge issue but I wanna give you a little background first as it may help answer my questions...

It has some cool upgrades bought it from a nice guy in Manila Philippines. He is a bit of novice rider but managed to put 10,000 km on it. I can tell he is a novice rider because of his trips and his stories. I have been riding for over 15 years and it comes down to my gut. Anyhow long story short novice highway miles on this bike. This bike was imported from Italy.

I buy the bike and need to ride it home (4 hours away). For those of you who don't know Manila it is like New York City x 1000 as far as traffic and heat goes.

I got on the bike and have done by research so I know some of the common problems with the computer and stalling and etc.

I was in this crazy hot traffic for about 2 hours and right towards the end of it (after i was dying of near heat stroke and sunburn) the bike starts to sputter really badly. It was stalling out and making some crazy backfire noises and etc. I looked at temp gauge thinking it was over heating (it's hot and all but not that hot) and it was at about 50 degrees C.

I pulled over to take a 5 min water break and let the bike cool down thinking it would solve the issue. -- It doesn't.

It does not get any worse but it definitely did not get any better either.

I get on the freeway and am able to cruise at 120kph and get home. (no real issues on the freeway, 5th gear steady throttle, no real opportunity for it to die) Once I get there i notice the "wrench symbol" was on. I looked it up and it means "service" thanks btw super broad.

Once I get home I let it rest for about 2 hours. It is cooled all the way down. Turned it over again and it just sounds like the tune is way way off. Sputtering like crazy. Sounds like it is misfiring. There was even a wierd sound like high pressure air escaping somewhere (assuming exhaust). Honestly it sounded to me like a bike that was completely out of tune. Just rode / idles like shit.

So I do my research and I have come to 2 conclusions.

#1 -- the values have never been tighten down (confirmed with the seller) and the bike was finally broke in -- hence the novice slow rider background. -- I ride like a bat out of hell
    #2 -- the computer needs to be reset with a MOSS. it needs to be remapped and etc -- the wrench light coming on give me this idea

Last comments: oil / service is new and it is not due for another service for another 2000k.

Am I on the right track here or what do you guys think?
  2. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Has your air intake boot cracked or come away from the motor during a backfire? Probably not that but very easy to check just in case.
  3. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    This thread will also need to be moved over to the Italian section and you'll get a better response. Good luck with your troubleshooting efforts.
  4. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Have any modifications been done? Canisterectomy? Exhaust? Pod mod intake? Booster plug or similar?

Check canister purge valve by disconnecting the intake side hose and plugging, or making sure it is plugged completely if canisterectomy has been performed.

Check spark plugs, especially make sure both plugs are working.

Check that the idle air control valve is clean. This is hard to do only because it is hard to get access to it, but once you have access, easy to clean.
    mag00 likes this.
  5. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    How about vapor lock due to the gas cap issue?
    PaulC and hasenpfeffer like this.
  6. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115