Wr360 spark issue

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by ash768w, Feb 9, 2014.

1. ash768w Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 360
    Hi everyone, I've just bought a 99 wr 360. I bought it with a starting issue, it has an intermittent spark fault ( more often than not it won't spark and when it does it will only run for a second or so ) the old owner has replaced the coil, CID unit and had the stator re-wound but the regulator/ rectifier has not been changed. Could this be the problem? I've been through the wiring diagram and it all looks good only thing is it shows an earth wire going to the body of the regulator/rectifier and there isn't one on the bike. I've cut the wire to the kill switch just in cease that was the fault but I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
  2. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    1st, i'd take the front motor mount plates off & clean them, wire brush them, where they contact the frame. I'd clean up the frame area too, I'd also take the coil off & clean the mounting areas there too. You can run an extra wire from one of those lower motor mount bolts up to the coil mounting area as well.

If that didn't fix it, I'd unwrap the wiring harness & look at all the wires very carefully. Take you time & don't leave any wires unturned, pull all the connection
    apart & use contact cleaner on them all.

Good luck Husky John
  3. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    1. hi ash, reg/rectifier only controls lights etc and not the cdi, basically your stator will have 2 windings one for ignition and one for the lights etc you will need to check all connections etc do you know for sure that the parts have been replaced?, have a look and let us know what you see, cdis rarely fail same for coils but stators get hot and the insulation on the winding breaks down, you may have to get some ohm readings and check them against the workshop manual specs or use this forum search.the reg is earthed through the body basically excess voltage is earthed to the the frame through the bolts holding the reg.my 360 never had a strong spark but also had the decomp valve and was easy to kick over.
    duggoey likes this.
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    on all trouble shooting but especially electrical go back to basics for sure, don't guess a new spark plug is ok, don't guess anything done before is ok
    replace the plug with a tested unit (do you have another bike), check the kill switch, check the connectors, then start the diagnosis of the hard parts, my 99 had a bad stator, but it was a hot starting (well always hard but really hard hot) problem, that year they used a Kokusan ignition mine is not very impressive new, my KTM 380 would start when you were cycling the engine at a slow rate this one you get it on a stand and get it spinning fast
    I wish you the best on your gremlin hunt, keep us informed
    duggoey likes this.
  5. ash768w Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 360
    Been racking my brain and trying everything but nothing seems to work so ive taken it to a shop.
    I will post the outcome as soon as I get it
  6. ash768w Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 360
    Got it back, it was a dodgy coil lead and plug cap. I'm such an amateur. Thanks for everyone's help.will post pics whenits ready