1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR300 vs. 300XC-W

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mrkartoom, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    The next scoot to replace my 450EXC will likely be one of these bikes. I have a great relationship with my local KTM shop and they give me big discounts and other perks. I'd have to go a long way to get another Husky and give up a lot in the process, but I've done it once already with no regrets (610 v. 690E). This decision is a bit tougher for me though and I need some help. I need somebody to convince me why I should get a WR300 instead of 300XC-W.

Help!

p.s. I already have the fact it's not orange on my Pro list. :D
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have to admit the KTM is a more modern up to date package, the WR300 is long in the tooth design wise. It really is in need of a ground up update which it might get next year.
  3. meletis Husqvarna
    B Class

09 300 KTM is the best 300 buy you can get at the market, soft, easy to handle (it is a 300 nevertheless) and with an amazing frame-supsension-brake package.
    Husqy is aggressive (more than enough) and frame wise..........
    get the KTM or get a 510, better than any 2stroke.
  4. Boom Boom Husqvarna
    AA Class

What do you plan on doing with the bike? Race - trail ride - etc?
    The KTM should have a wider gear spacing / the WR would be more XC like. I have a 200exc and 250WR, I will be keeping the WR and selling the exc for the following reasons. The Husky is just plain simple to maintain, no clutch master or slave cylinders to fail. Air box on the KTM is just crap, after done replacing the filter from the side panel I still have to pull the seat to seal up all the open gaps that allow tons of junk in, no issues with the Husky. Even with the single bolt seat on the KTM, you still need an 8mm and have to dig out all the mud to remove the seat, Husky is just stupid simple. For me, the most important issue is how much tighter I can get the Husky to turn and the steeper fork angle. I am a trials guy and when the enduro bike comes out it is used like a trials bike. The KTM has a smoother engine, but the need of 40 acres to turn it around just did not work for me. The only thing I would replace the Husky with would be a Gas Gas 300EC.
  5. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Performance wise the bikes are really about the same.... It really comes down to price.

Another thing to consider is all used dirt bikes aren't worth much come time to sell and the KTM and Husky are going to sell for about the same amount in a couple of years.

JustSaying

2009 KTM PRICES!
    » CROSS COUNTRY 2 STROKE
    85 XC . . . . . .$5,198
    105 XC . . . . .$5,598
    200 XC . . . . .$6,998
    200 XC-W . . .$6,998
    250 XC (e) . .$7,898
    250 XC-W (e) . .$7,898
    300 XC (e) . . . .$7,998
    300 XC-W (e) . .$7,998

» CROSS COUNTRY 4 STROKE:
    250 XCF-W* . .. $7,998
    250 XC-F . . . . $7,998
    400 XC-W* . . ..$8,398
    450 XC-F . . . . .$8,698
    450 XC-W* . . . $8,798
    505 XC-F . . . . .$8,998
    530 XC-W* . . . $8,998
    >>Street Legal ENDURO
    450 EXC . . . . $9,198
    530 EXC . . . . . . . $9,498

2009 HUSQVARNA PRICES
    >> 2-Stroke Enduro
    WR125......$5,999
    WR250......$6,799*
    WR300......$6,999*
    >> 4-Stroke CROSS COUNTRY
    TXC250..........$6,999
    TXC450..........$7,699
    TXC510..........$7,999
    >>Street Legal ENDURO
    TE250............$7,599
    TE310............$7,999
    TE450............$8,299
    TE510............$8,599
  6. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm firmly in this boat too [although I waffle about whether a 450 TXC might be the way to go too]. The KTM does have e-start [which is attractive for an old guy like me]. As I see it -- other than the button, the real difference between these two bikes is, as Kelly says, modern design. Not just motor, but frame, geometry etc.. I would concede that Husky is updating the suspension well enough though. Although, from what I've been able to pick up [comparing apples to apples] the 250WR is just as [if not more] effective than the 250XC. So much for updated design?

I am also just sort of assuming that the 300WR will be a fair comparison to the KTM -- trouble is here, nobody seems to have any real world experience. My only real hesitation in buying a new 09 Husky WR is [as Kelly also mentions] that [particularly with the new BMW influence and all the stuff Scot Harden alludes to] its possible the bike will get redesigned and updated and I'm a day late and several thousand dollars short.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm almost considering buying the TXC solely based on the fact that the bike has more modern engineering behind it [and the button too].
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, this is a pretty hard decision. So many good bikes these days. I have never owned a KTM but I do know the WR's are about as reliable as an anvil. That and the $1000-$1500 less makes it really hard. You can do a lot of suspension and other upgrades for that coin. :excuseme:
  8. Boom Boom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just because something is more "modern" does not always mean better.
    The new KTM engine design could be one good example. Many threads of die hard KTM lovers wanting the ole engine design back. Beta picked up sales from the people not wanting the new design. If and when Husky gets a face lift, I expect to see the same.
    For someone wanting a push button and the comforts of home, I think the WR would not be what you want. If you are a 2-smoke fan, then get the KTM with the button. If you are not in love with a 2-smoke, sure can not go wrong with the TXC.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    True. But in this case the engine is very heavy for a 2 stroke and the bike overall is about 15 pounds more than it needs to be. Additionally I feel the new generation 08 frame is a big step forward as well as the TXC TC forks. Basically if the WR250/300 had a new motor with the drive on the other side, the new frame (like the WR125) and the TC 50mm forks this decision would be a no brainer for me. In fact when they build that bike I will get one.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the current bike. In fact I rode a 08 KTM 250 and 07 WR250 back to back and greatly preferred the Husky.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I thought some of you guys that might be interested in a first comparo on the WR300 so I brought this thread back to life. This is what I posted over at TT and you might be interested too.

I just got my February ADB Mag. It has a shoot out between the Gas Gas, Husky, Ktm, and TM 300 enduro 2 strokes. Overall the electric start and top of class suspenders gave the KTM the slight nod over the Husky and TM. The Husky was downgraded for having a much heavier clutch than the others, awkward kick starter(duh), and lack of dual map ignition. The group actually rated the Husky as the best motor with it excelling in all three ranges over the competition; low end grunt, mid-range, and top end. The KTM got the best rating because of the ability to run it in 6 different states of tune plus that damn red button(I really want one). The Husky was a push as the fastest with the TM although it would squek by the TM at the very top end. It finished a close second in handles to the TM and if the shock had worked better probably would have been first. They liked the Huskies brakes the best by far and once moving thought the Husky had great ergos. Overall they made the comment that with a hydraulic clutch and a dual mapped ignition this would have been the bike to beat.

As soon as they give it a red button I will buy one,
    Walt
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great info, thanks. Kinda cracks me up that the switch for the mapping was even an issue when the motor was the best. If the motor is great what do you need a switch for :excuseme: As for E-start it is cool but not a necessity on a 2 stroke like it can be on a 4.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

- It will be cool to hear a report from a KTM300 guy that switched.
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

K,

Yep that was exactly the point made by one of the pros that participated in the test. He also really liked the Husky. Every tester mentioned in their synopsis liking the husky.

One of the things I like best about ADB mag is that they don't seem to be swayed in any way by manufacturer bias. They give as consise a discription as their space allows and involve all different levels of riders and perspectives.

Walt
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Totally agree.
  14. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I got it

As soon as it warms up a bit around here I should be able to comment on the WR300 vs. 300XCW comparison,...I have both now!

Haven't had it in the dirt yet, so can't comment on the suspension or handling,....but gawd it pulls like a mule on the road in front of my house! She's an arm stretcher for sure. I have no doubt it's stronger than my KTM.

Kelly,...I need a skidplate for it. Do you think your two stroke plate for the WR250 will work? My oil drain plug is on the bottom of the case. Does the plate have a hole there so you don't have to remove it for an oil change?

Attached Files:

15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    sweet :thumbsup:

No reason the WR250 skid plate will not work as the frames are the same. Yes, it has a oil change hole.

Man that's nice. :notworthy:
  16. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Cool,...I'll get an order in!

Thanks Kelly