1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wr250 supermoto?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by BloodyShirt, May 20, 2012.

1. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha 2010 wr250 & 2009 YZ125
    Having trouble finding any info on kits for a 2012 wr250. Warp9 only sells kits for the 4strokes :( I'm hesitant to build a set from scratch but I'm running out of options
  2. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
    You can use the ones of the pre 2010 4t. they are the same, I've built my own SM wheel for my WR250 using original Husqvarna hubs, and Behr rims.
    Depending on the rear rim width, make sure you have at least 5mm offset otherwise the chain will catch the tire or worse the rim.
    4,5" is ideal, 5" also fits but is a bit difficult to install and requires more offset (but does fit, I used both).

Looking forward to see some pictures of your project.
    Mine is a blast to ride, I'm using 14-48 gearing it tops out at 125kM/H but jetting could be a tad better.
  3. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just got off the phone with the dealership.. They've got two sets of wheels that will fit one warp9 and a husky stock set.. How's your 2t on the street with proper tire? Any concerns about keeping it at highway speeds for duration?
  4. Bart Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450, 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TM Racing EN300 and EN450
    Well it's fun on streets as long as the road isn't straight for a long period of time, it hates doing full throttle for a long period of time.
    Please don't use it for highway, it never was intended to do that, it's just a very bad idea.
    Also it's very unpractical as a everyday vehicle, it's a fun bike and should be used that way.
  5. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yah thats kind of what I was thinking.. thanks for the info Bart
  6. Twatty Husqvarna
    AA Class

I originally used my SMPro wheels that I was running on my 09 TE450, but the TE rear hubs are 5mm wider which caused chain alignment issues. I did a temp fix by adding spacers to the sprocket side of the hub (between the hub and swingarm), but the only way to sort it properly was to fit a OEM WR hub to the wheel. That was a little complicated because the SMPro rim has jap bike holes (different pattern) but a good wheel builder can sort this easily.
    I have a 5" rim and have had no dramas with 150/60-17's or 165 slicks, my current 160 GP12A has been trimmed by the chain, but it does measure 172mm across! I fixed that by swapping to a CRF450X chain. If your not going to be racing, a 4.25 rim would be easiest, just use 150 tyres.
    The gearing is short on WR's, and the smaller rim makes it worse, I have a 6 speed (I think I got a close ratio one though...) and run 15/42 which will get me to 160km/h, but I will be going to 15/40 or 38 soon, as I never need to use 1st gear at all at the moment, and the taller gearing will space out the ratios a bit more for me.
    Mines a 300 with a few mods, so a bit different to your bike but I use it almost every day for commuting, weekend road rides in the hills, trail riding, supermoto and road racing, and I love it, it is actually happier on the highway at 100km/h than it is holding a steady 60km/h, just gear it as high as you can and check your jetting on a dyno and you'll be happy as Larry!
    Also remember to adjust your damping on the road, it makes a big difference!
    Do a search of my posts here for more info/pics/vids, and let us know how you go, would love to pics when it's done!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    manu, gazmcfaza, Uniden2 and 2 others like this.
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

4 stroke rear hubs are the same EXCEPT they have a 5mm wider sprocket mount.

You need a 2 stroke hub.....the fronts are the same.

Find a 2000-20012 2 stroke hub and make 'em.
  8. BloodyShirt Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Pretty Slick.. I wanted white rims too on mine.. I'm going to stop by the dealer to see what he has.. supposedly he has a set of factory rims that will work as well as ones from warp9 that will work.. curious to see what he's got though.
  9. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Are the 4 stroke and 2 stroke front rims all the same?
  10. cuprastic Husqvarna
    AA Class

New wheels for my 2006 wr 250 (3.50x17 front with 120/70-17 and 4.25x17 rear with 150/60-17). Must buy 38 tooth(currently 48 tooth) rear sprocket.(15/38 gearing with 6 speed tranny). Need some washing job.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I really never considered a 2 stroke supermoto. I bet it would be fun
  12. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I had a Honda CRM 250 2 stroke supermoto and it is incredible fun :banana:

spinning through the corners, Wheelying from traffic lights.

was not on the point of doing stopies but man its a blast to ride

only down side is when the road is wet (at that time you need to operate the throttle with a silk glove and a lot of self control)

it was my town bike, bringing the kids to school, from work to home (straight line is about 3 Km yet on that bike it took sometimes 40 minutes to get home (and 25 Km on the Odo meter):rolleyes:

I would still consider to get another one but would definitely look in a bigger 2 stroke capacity (a 300cc or a KTM 380:rolleyes: )

you don't need to much ponies on the trail but you will have never enough on the tarmac.

Robert-Jan
  13. Twatty Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yep, and the hubs.
  14. Twatty Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mate that bike looks slick!
    Makes me want to try fitting the 09 TE450 side panels I've got in the garage!
    I can recommend 15/38 gearing, I have 15/39 with the 6 speed and was maxing out at 170km/h well before halfway down the straight at a recent road race, and I still never use 1st gear, I wish I could change my primary drive ratio...

Just because Robert-Jan brought up wet weather riding ( and maybe to show off a little) here's a the footage from a recent BEARS race here in South Australia, I had to start last because I seized my engine in supermoto qualifying and missed the BEARS qual session:( I failed to measure a new piston, and payed the price, the bike now has the old piston and rings back in and a large gouge in the bore.
    But it's still more fun than riding a 4T!!!:D
    Miezie666 likes this.
  15. cuprastic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maybe I will sold the bike, going on TE 450/TE 510 or exc 450/exc 530, when not I will go for 15/40 teeth sprocket with the SUMO wheels (smallest from renthal for husqvarna is 40 tooth), because the original husqvarna 38 teeth(8H00 A4859 sprocket for sms 630) is f.... too expensive(80 eur, about 100 USD) and the renthal is 38 eur, about 50 USD, and I will go for 110/70-17 front tyre, because 120/70-17 is rubbing left upper fork when I ride the bike!
  16. Twatty Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you get a 450/510 you won't need a 38T sprocket, 15/45 is good for 160km/h @ ~8700rpm (from memory) and works really well for sumo applications. I you want longer legs on the 4T a 42T will do the job and is easily sourced.
    A cheaper way to get 38- 39T sprockets is to buy one for a yamaha and have the center machined out and get new holes drilled, thats what I did.
    Something is wrong if a 120/70 is rubbing on your fork leg, check your spacers or get a wheel builder to 'pull' the rim across by adjusting the spokes. A 110/70 won't handle right and should fit easily.
    My 300 was 1.5 sec a lap quicker on road tyres than my TE 450 was on slicks at Mac park, don't let anyone tell you 4T's are better for sumo/road racing!
  17. cuprastic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think I found the reason for rubbing tyre, front wheel hub is an older version with 20x42x12 bearings(for 20 mm axle) and 8 mm disc bolt holes and I mounted a 25x42x9 bearings from my mx wheels, so there is a 3mm gap on each side of whell hub. 25x42x12 bearing doesnt exist so I must get some 3 mm spacers or washers to do the job! With the yamaha sprocket is a good idea, thanks twatty.
  18. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

I used supermoto wheels from a Yamahe 2001 model on my 300. Fits perfect with new spacers. 5" rear rim with 160/60x17 tire.
    Now i have the same wheels on one of my CR 500's instead, so with the right width on the rear hub and right spacers there is a lot of rims that is possible to get on the 250/300's.

[IMG]
    manu likes this.
  19. cuprastic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Today I ve got a WRP aluminium rear sprocket 38 tooth for wr 250 sm from ebay. So now I can build the sumo wheels and wait for some nice warm weather, (it is snowing here and the temperature is 1 degree below zero), but I still got my enduro wheels so no problem.:cheers:

[IMG]
  20. Rob09 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511
    This may sound like a stupid question, but I have found a set of 17'' rims that I was hoping to put with my factory '09 WR250 hubs to create supermoto wheels. The new rims are 32 hole, my factory ones are 36. Is there anyway to make this work or do I just try another avenue. I went down pretty hard on the road yesterday and suddenly getting supermoto wheels on it has jumped up the priority list!