1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR125 Cutting out b/c of water

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Jan 23, 2010.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, has anyone had their WR125 cut-out after riding in heavy rain or going through mud/puddles?

I rode today in heavy rain and hit several 6-12 inch mud puddles at speed.

Then the bike would cut out. It would idle fine. But if I tried to raise the revs (opening the PV) it would cut-out/bog.

I immediately thought: 1) I fouled a plug (before the ride i changed the pilot from 30 to 32.5, b/c I was nervous about it being too lean for fast WOT to idle), or 2) I siezed it.

I took the bike home. And it fired up and revved and sounded fine. No cutting-out.

I took a look and the plug wire/CDI were soaked with water. Maybe I sucked water in the carb vent hoses?

What do you think? This happen to you?

JS
  2. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm thinking it's a water induced short in the electrical system when the bike is revved and vibrating. Happened to me a few times on a dirtbike, streetbike and believe it or not, a farm tractor when driven in water/rain.
  3. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

It used to happen to me on an old Toyota pickup. Just was not expecting it on the WR125.

JS
  4. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Most likely that's the case, mine acted the same way when blasting creek crossings' prior to re-routing the upper two vent hoses.
  5. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    My first guess was water in the vent hoses, but you are more blasting through puddles than big river crossings so maybe that's not it. Maybe try waterproofing the plug wire/CDI as best you can. If it still happens our T6 carb filter kit should take care of it, as well as keep dirt out of that little screamin engine. :ride:
    NCSteve likes this.
  6. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks. Even if it is not the vent hoses...I think the kit is a good idea. I will check it out.

JS
  7. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    There are some pretty big openings on the airbox that might need taping up. Also the KTM's use a one way drain on the airbox, wr125 have only a hole.
    I also remember a post by I think NW Rider saying the stock plug boot can cause problems, and he advised getting a NGK boot.
    You sure seem to spend a lot of time on your wifes bike!
    GP
  8. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Shh. I am tuning it, and making sure it is safe to ride. Ha ha. Seriously, my wife, my daughter, my sister, and I ride every weekend. Plus I try to ride 2-3 times during the week, for 1-2 hours before or after work. Motorcycles are a big part of the family.

JS
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Water in the float bowl. Seen it a million times. Will start and idel but the minute you try and rev it it draws from the low main and sucks water. Drain the bowl and it will rip again. Just delt with this on a 2010 WR300 several times in a ride.

Stuff a sponge in the hole in the bottom of the airbox to keep water from filling it sop quick if you rise a lot of water. :thumbsup:
    gazmcfaza likes this.
  10. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've had this problem several times. I'll try the sponge in the bottom drain trick. Hope that works. Otherwise I'll have to rig up some sort of one-way drain.
  11. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks! Is the water getting in from the hole in the bottom of the airbox (because it does not have a 1 way hole, or does it come through the vents on the side?

JS
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    On the '09-'10 WR125 the airbox is more like an air filter holder than an airbox. When I was setting up my bike I realized I could stick my fingers through the gas tank/airbox junction and almost touch the carb. A sure path for water spray into the airbox. Very different from my '02 WR125. I spent a lot of time with racer tape making little flaps to seal airbox better anyplace i saw daylight. Lindsay Pirie gave me some reinforced rubber stripping, that I'll use for a more permanent solution.
  13. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have said this many a time.......REPLACE THE CRAP 2 STROKE STOCK PLUG CAP!
    (Thank God....Hallelujah...wheres the Tylenol!)
    Joe
    Norman Foley likes this.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Dave,
    On your older style bike silicone up the drain slot and drill a hole in the bottom of airbox and install a KTM airbox drain bulb/oneway valve.
    shawbagga likes this.
  15. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good info, Norm.

Wait a minute, you're not trying to sabotage my innocent 125 with KTM parts again, are you?!?

:busted:
  16. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Nah its an old acebris part trick and done by fast FREDDIE BACK IN THE DAY AND IT STILL WORKS WELL Oops hit cap lock
    Norman Foley likes this.
  17. melias24 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whitsundays region, Queensland, Australia
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR125
    Glad it doesn't only happen to me on my '13 CR125. Every time i go through water or get splashed. I went fast through water that came just over the bottom of my rim and there was a massive splash and my bike cut out. And also, today everyone else went fine through creek crossing's (KTM 150sx, a TTR250 and a KX250f) but my cr stopped, and took on water. Very annoying, considering buying a different bike.
  18. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    I do like norman and duct tape everything for a wet race.... make little flaps to divert water out not in..... plus I make a point of doing water a certain way.... if I can wheelie across I do if not I don't make a huge splash... just as much for me as the bike....

IMO its not electronics because it would do it at all revs.... its water in the float bowl....

only 2 ways in vent line, which if they are routed correctly is very unlikely in the side vents the only one is the bottom one which goes directly to the bowl.... does your vent line hang waaay down? cut on an angle? really its not likely its going in that way unless your are stopped or really deep slow water....

only other way is airbox.... Good air filter oil(not spray on)? duct tape any way that water will either splash easy in or after splashed will just run into the airbox off plastic and seat.... I run thru deep creeks and in the rain a lot.... zero issues
  19. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    How long did it take trawling through posts too revive a 6 year old thread!?! Some peoples bikes arnt that old!
    Lol

On a side note my bike ran backwards from water in the stator housing it was a ldt (long distance trial) rained from 5pm till 10am yes we rode for that long.
    Long story short dont block the hole in the bottom of the case by all means silicone the wire grommet and gasket but dont seal the drain.
  20. melias24 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Whitsundays region, Queensland, Australia
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 CR125
    Googled it too see if anyone had the same issue as me and came across this thread lol