1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

WR to CR rear suspension travel

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by yellowbronco, Apr 5, 2017.

1. yellowbronco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 WR 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many to list
    Can anyone give me the Cliff Notes on how to increase the rear suspension travel on my '84 WR 400? I installed a set of WP upside down forks from a '96 Husaberg FC600 and currently run them about 1" up in the clamps. I'd like to run them all the way down in the clamps with a corresponding height increase to the rear because I'm crazy and like to ride this bike just as hard and fast as I ride my newer bikes. Did I mention that I'm nuts?

I removed the shocks last night and took some measurements. They're 18.375" (467mm) long eye to eye and contact the bump stops at 14" (355.6mm) length. The bike is, other than the front suspension, bone stock and a bit of a time machine since, when I got it only a few years ago, it only had 1500 miles on it. It was my uncle's before me and he bought it from the original owner back in '86 then holed the piston (side case corroded through and coolant filled the engine) so it sat in his back yard for a few decades. Would CR shocks from about the same year be longer? Is the CR swingarm longer?

Finally, who's considered to be the best at rebuilding/revalving/respringing the Ohlins ITC shocks? I'd like to send some work their way.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Looking a the part sheet for 1984 there are 3 swingarms wr, cr, and xc. There are two shock absorbers complete wr and cr,xc. Quite possibly there is a spacer in the wr shock. The cr swingarm probably differs from the xc in the way the brake plate is kept in place. A cr swingarm might need more parts to make it work than an xc. I will let someone else go beyond this. Drew who runs WER suspention seems the preferred guy. I could not figure out how to search members on here at this time. I just use a local guy but have not requested anything but replace worn with new parts.

It might also be noted that the frames are more robust as are the swingrms on the modern stuff. The modern upside down forks will certainly put more stresses on the frame than the flexy 40mm ones originally installed.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    there is a 10mm spacer in the WR shock to limit travel c/w the CR so just whip that out and your good to go
    oldbikedude likes this.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    nope..the cr swinger has different dimensions than the wr.
    Photo1027.jpg Photo1026.jpg

pm me if you are interested in buying a cr swinger yellowbronco, i have an extra serviceable one i would part with.
    slosh and oldbikedude like this.
  5. yellowbronco Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 WR 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many to list
    Justintendo,
    Is the distance from the frame mount holes to the shock mount holes the same? From your second picture, it looks like they might be different but maybe the cross bar is just welded in a different spot.

I'll definitely look into sending them to WER for revalve/respring and, if there is one, spacer removal.
    Thanks guys!
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The cr swing arm is longer. From the pivot point that's more movement in the arc over the wr swing arms I'm thinking.
    justintendo likes this.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the crossbar is in the "same" spot, so there is a little more length before and after the shock bolt hole.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    you still get a fair increase with the spacer removal but you will n eed to fit a CR swingarm to get the full travel. usually done with a replacement of the sliders and damper rods in the forks but you have different forks forkitall.:D