1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR/CR125 cylinder vs WRE/SMS125 cylinder?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JB9, Aug 16, 2020.

1. JB9 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '06 WR125, '12 WR300, '95 WR360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aerox 100 ;)
    Hi guys. I'm new here, but I've had Italian Huskys for a few years now.

I recently bought a 2006 WR125, but I feel like its lacking power. I understand that it wont be as powerful as my WR250s, but still, it feels way less powerful than I had imagined.

It has a FMF Fatty exhaust with a random silencer, and the cylinder was recently refurbished. Piston is pretty much brand new.

It has the TMX38 carb, which I just cleaned and made sure that all settings are as the owners manual & workshop manual say they should be, except the main jet which I've bumped up to 410 from a 380 which was in there when I bought the bike (that made a noticeable difference. stock is said to be 400). I'm currently at about 60m above sea level.

I would like some help just confirming that the previous owner hasn't installed a WRE/SMS125 cylinder onto the bike.

The part number cast into my cylinder is: 83125. Spare part PDF says that the cylinder on the WR/CR125 should be 83063. This has me confused and concerned.

Could someone just confirm what cylinder the 83125 actually is? Thanks
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The 83125 is the correct number for the older 7 transfer port cylinder. At least this is the number stamped on the outside of the old style cylinder I have. The 06 125 has a pretty heavy flywheel and didn't run as well as the CR's for that reason but were better about maintaining momentum. There could be many issues with running poorly. Is the power valve operating correctly? I would definitely check your compression. Should be about 155 psi static. If you didn't do the overhaul yourself or know that a reliable mechanic performed the service then there could be a number of issues. Is the timing set correctly? The older TMX38 made good top end power so it shouldn't be holding you back if jetted correctly.

An easy way to tell if you have the SM/WRE cylinder is that cylinder has the deck sticking up about 2mm or so above the top of the power valve chamber. The WR's and CR's it is virtually flush with the top of the power valve chamber.
  3. JB9 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '06 WR125, '12 WR300, '95 WR360
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aerox 100 ;)
    Ok. Nope, the work has been done by the father of the guy I bought the bike from. No idea what his skill level is, sadly.

Here is a photo of my cylinder:

IMG_20200818_194018.jpg

That looks like the deck is about 2mm above the chamber, right? Which would mean that it is indeed a WRE/SMS cylinder? Sucks if that's the case. I did get a 144cc kit with the bike though, but I was hoping not to have to install it to get decent power.

Will definitely check compression, timing, power valve and some other stuff when I have some time to spare.
  4. Sonnie Mee Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Team Motorex Husqvarna CR125
    Looks like a cr/wr cylinder to me
    check the exhaust valves are operating correctly, linkage, actuator etc, timing, Reed petals has it got the right piston in it worth checking everything if your not sure about the work that has been done
    Here is an image of my 2002 CR125 factory motor

Attached Files: