1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Wr 390 What Year Is This?

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MickK, Sep 19, 2019.

1. MickK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR390 1980
    Hi I am new to the forum and I have just purchased this WR390 and was told it is a 1980. The engine tag says 2084 which is 1980 but the frame is WN number which is 1981. The headlight cover looks like an 1982? and is cracked on both sides so I was going to replace it but not sure which would be the correct shape for the year.

[IMG] IMG_2420.JPG

Also it has the engine number tag with the serial number by the chain guard but it has a patch of grinding on both sides of the engine case like this. Is there some sort of ID that has been removed here? I bought this bike in Australia but was told it was a USA import many years ago. It has part of a California compliance sticker on the steering column

IMG_2416.JPG
  2. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    headlight mask is 1985 and later. frame looks like 81/82.
  3. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  4. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    1980-husqvarna-390-wr-fully-restored-beautiful-condition-5.jpg

390 WR 1980
    -modifications
    -rear frame
    -front forks golden
    -chaine tensionner
    ...and others !!!

NUMBER SERIE
    MN 1001 and +
    motor 2084
  5. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
  6. MickK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR390 1980
    Ok Thanks for the info. So the forks should be gold and I will need one of the headlights with metal grille like the photo above. Does anyone still sell these or do I have to wait for a something to come up on ebay?

Also I was wondering how good the decompression releases are that can be put into the second spark plug hole, it is a beast to start.

Yesterday I took it to a dent remover guy and he levered out about 8 minor dents on the tank. It took him about an hour and a half of prodding with all sorts of weird levers thru the filler cap hole but he managed to get 99% of them out out, very happy with the results and cost was $150
  7. MickK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR390 1980
    I have been looking at plastics and have decided that I really like the Preston Petty range, It is non standard but looks great and still has that retro look. This pic I found is a nice example of how they look. The red tank does make it work even better and the black rims look great, although I don't think the black rims would work with a black tank as well as the red one does. Anyway I have ordered the two fenders and the headlight and will take it from there.

Preston petty.jpg

Also have ordered this from ebay to stick in the second plughole to try and preserve the kick shaft and also to hopefully make it a bit easier to start. Will post up when fitted.

compression release.jpg
  8. MickK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR390 1980
    IMG_2598.JPG IMG_2599.JPG

Since the dents have been massaged out I decided to have a go at the gold pinstripe one side of the tank last night. Clear was removed from the chrome knee panel, masked up with 3mm model tape on each side of the stripe and painted a close match to the gold. Happy with the results, not perfect but it will be a good race tank
  9. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Do you have room for a Victa decompressor? Most likely not with an air cooled engine.....
  10. MickK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR390 1980
    possibly if I use the long adaptor to get the victa mushroom style unit clear of the fins. What would the advantage be?
  11. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Not a huge advantage, just no need to reset after every kick. It's an auto decompressor.
  12. MickK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR390 1980
    decompress.JPG

Fitted the decompressor with the 14mm adaptor and it has plenty of height to access the knob. After I remembered to use the choke it fired first kick so very happy with the mod, it definitively turns over faster and easier. I also fitted a new hotter BR7ES plug at the same time so this may have helped with the starting as well.
    wrx, 390wr Jon and ajcmbrown like this.
  13. MickK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR390 1980
    wr390done.JPG
    All done now and ready to ride. Has the preston petty rear which slims the bike down a fair bit, the preston petty front Mudder fender I ordered did not fit so I just put a Polisport MX front on which fitted ok. Then painted the engine black, fitted some white numberplate decals, 390 stickers and a Preston Petty headlight

wr3902.JPG
    Bob Ragon, wrx and slosh like this.