1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR 300 oversized front brakes

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Huskybloke, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Huskybloke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just wondering if there was any oversize rotor break combos available for the WR 300/250 , coming off a YZ 250 with an oversized rotor , I pretty much realize how much improvent over stock it was on the YZ
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Husky 260mm standard so oversize only 10mm bigger at 270mm. Yz standard only 250mm?

There's a chinga oversize disc & adapter on ebay for $120 or so from memory. Check ebay n all Italian husky models as they should all fit up(ie might be more under te310r or te449/511)

Moto master $370!!!
  3. Huskybloke Husqvarna
    AA Class

the 2015 yz 250 I had came with an " Race Kit "included a gytr pipe , rotor , rotor adaptor , the brembos should be pretty good on the husky but I just struggled to pull it up on a track I ride regularly and also I noticed this out in the bush as well wether its a shit front tyre , the pads were just replaced before I bought it as well so wether they a shit pair of pads or maybe not bedded in properly ?
  4. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Moto master as Shawy pointed out and a few chinky items out there, 24mx had the whole setup ie with the carrier on their site, A TM carrier will fit straight on if you can find one used, Or if you really want a front brake that is truly a one fingered anchor get a late model ktm caliper from ebay along with a over size adaptor from the same caliper/ktm along with the moto master disc and it all fits straight on and is one superb front brake setup, I put this setup on my 165 and every bike I ride feels like the brakes are covered in fork oil as a comparison.

IMG_2911.jpg IMG_2911.jpg
  5. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    What's the diff with the ktm caliper Johnny? Thought they were the same brembos?!
  6. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Still Brembo just a different shape and different mounting points, I only put the later item on as I had it laying around but always had a 270mm disc and a TM carrier on the bike and thought it would just feel the same in use ! How wrong I was, Not sure if the shape lets the caliper flexes less but the lever feel is less spongy and in use is far less grabby but also take less pressure to lock the front up. Ktm would not of changed them if they were not better knowing ktm.
    My 350 has the same caliper but the stock 260.mm disc and its nearly as good as the 270mm on the husky and really dosnt need more due to the engine braking.
    Not even sure if the pistons are a different size but the old pads are the same as the new so no change there
    brembo_ktm_caliper_o_p30181_3df784.jpg dsc_9055_11.jpg brembo_ktm_caliper_o_p30181_3df784.jpg
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Strange that your WR 300 front brakes work poorly. Mine were so strong that I could easily lock the front end up with one finger when the bike was new. I had to buy less aggressive pads for a more progressive feel.
    johnnyboy likes this.
  8. Huskybloke Husqvarna
    AA Class

totally agree as brembo are usally a great product that's why im thinking a cheap pair of pads were put in it before it was sold , but 1 finger braking isn't what im getting , they are not spongy and have a firm feel but are noticeably down on braking .
  9. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f

Strange thing the front brake on some of these old huskys , Ive ridden a few back to back and found all the front stoppers different, Some are real grabby, Some are real squishy (as was my 2010 that no end of bleeding would sort out and a different front stock caliper did not change the feel at all ). Tried all sorts of pads and none improved the feel at all, The 270mm disc made the front better but was still squishy untill I fitted the KTM caliper then I got a brake that was just perfect for me.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  10. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300, 1986 430AE Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    I agree, I've gone down a few times braking into high speed corners -unexpectedly locking up with only one finger, any chop in the corner and it's easy to squeeze too much brake. My solution was to toss the wave rotor and go with the pre-08 round rotor, now the braking is predictable and how I like it.

I have a friend who rides old Zundaps and Sacs engined Pentons and asked one day how he liked riding new stuff and all he said was that he could never get used to the super strong brakes these days. I tend to agree, I grew up on cable operated drum brakes too.

Sooo, I'm not sure why Huskybloke doesn't have strong enough front brake, can't be stock pads that's for sure or else something isn't right.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  11. Huskybloke Husqvarna
    AA Class

just an update on this . The pads were crap I put some new ones on bed them in and they are just as good as any brake ive used
    2premo, johnnyboy, Schrup and 2 others like this.
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

problem solved, love it when a plan and application fix it
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Along this same subject, I always thought the rear brakes on my 09 WR250 were too grabby making it hard not to occasionally kill the engine in the tight single track by getting a momentary lock up. I switched the rear pads to the cheapo $6 sets of pads and while they don't last as long they are easy on the rotor and have better feel when braking. I like the front OEM, one finger stoppies don't bother me, I guess my hands have more finesse than my feet.
    Palito likes this.