1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Wr 125 no spark

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by spud1968, Jan 7, 2018.

1. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tried starting after a few months of no use. It ran for 3-5 seconds then stopped. Tried again but back fired and dead. Checked for spark, nothing: Removed the plug and cap, no spark. Fitted another coil, no spark. Isolated the kill switch, no spark. Checked the woodruff key, all good. Checked the generator timing mark position, all good. I’ve not tested using a multi meter. Has two earth points: coil mount and a wire from the coil onto the frame. Any suggestions?

Ps: plug is wet from fuel. Good compression.
  2. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Which model year wr125? Sounds like all that's left to check is the spark plug wire and "generator" output, assuming you tried a fresh plug :cheers:
  3. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I tried a new plug. 2009 model.
  4. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    So seperate coil and ignition? Add ignition to the list if so. First thing I'd test/replace is the plug wire!
    hillbilly likes this.
  5. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have fitted a new coil and lead. Im not sure the coil lead would cause the back fire.

No cdi. Generator goes direct to the coil and frame earth. No lights or instruments fitted.
  6. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Not sure about UK models, but if it looks like this it's a Ducati ignition with integrated coil:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/making-a-wr125s-electrics-into-a-cr125.88220/ There has to be an ignition of some sort, that's what the plug wire is conneted to.
    Check the earth points and all the wires very carefully. Otherwise, test output starting at the generator working up or plug cap working down.
    Ducati ignitions have a bad reputation although I haven't had any problems...yet :cheers:
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It is still the old ignition Husky did not go to the Ducati ignition until 2011. I do not think the Ducati ignitions are bad, they just are not as stone reliable as the Kokusan.
  8. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It was a bad frame earth causing the problem. Thanks for the replies.
    NCSteve likes this.
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    awesome result.

(an old timer once told me this as i sat over-pondering a conundrum) young man...confucious say: solution to problem will usually be the simplest and most logical one.

words i now live by! mreep!