WP 5018 TRAX Shock

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by robertaccio, Jan 12, 2016.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    5018TRAX.jpg

Attached Files:

LandofMotards and Norman Foley like this.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Do they have it in blue? :D
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    Springs probably yes, Norman.

The rest of the shock is as is Black anodized only, carved from a solid block of billet Aluminum. Not a casting in sight, that's why these aren't so common.

Or anything like the just off the shelf pieces, like a standard WP rear shock. Either PDS or linkage.

Check with "Slaven's Racing" for springs. He says on his website though that the WP Trax shocks are no longer available from him, on his site anyway!

That's where I got my yellow rear spring in my other pictures. In fact its a progressive wound spring on my G450X as its PDS and it accommodates many riders weights. He has the springs in 4 or 5 colors. On the shelf 90% of the time.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mine cam with a 5.4 WP spring , too light for my tank ass.
    Yes Jeff does stock many springs and I originally had one on my shock. it was a Wht Eibach (It looked Eibach to me) that I needed to grind a little to fit a spring size adapter collar onto . The WP Techs made a face when they saw it.
    The 100% proper spring to use is the OEM spring it is a tapered spring ie: smaller ID on one end. For no other reason than to make it as small as possible (Im sure engineering wise to make the unit as light as possible).
    Im sure the factory guys probably have Ti springs available as well.
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    BT did you get the P/N s for your mounting forked assy in the pdf.
    WP Resources in USA,
    RaceTech, Factory Connection and (ride) PG are all official WP suspension shops, so for parts I would contact them, and of course there is WP Factory services USA

http://www.factoryconnection.com/wp/ (Ziggy and crew)

www.ridepgsuspension.com/ (Bart Hayes and crew)

http://racetech.com/page/id/154 ( Paul Thede and crew)

one of my friends (former ISDE competitor) is close with PG and has all his stuff done there, including his PDS Trax shock (the non-parallel Trax shock)
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    note found while playing with settings---I reset all my settings to WP Fact services settings. because of the trax function you can run super stable lots of reb damp I cranked it in yesterday after getting pitched off the trail a couple times...from 22 to 15 wow does the thing settle down and just powers up loose rocky stuff....
  7. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    any of you guys with the trax tried it against an ohlins?
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
  9. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    If I'm gonna spend 6 grand on suspension its gonna be something I know works.... Ohlins
    rancher1 likes this.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    If I'm gonna spend 6 grand on suspension its gonna be something I know works.... Ohlins

It was deal I could not pass up. An offer I couldn't refuse. Plus, and even after full WP Factory services rebuilds for the 2 shocks the price was still waaay right.
    PS Ron all those latest XC, MX and enduro championships for Husky and KTM have been won on these shocks, both the parallel (linkage type) and non parallel PDS type Trax.
    (with cone valve forks up front). Problem is now I have no excuses not to haul ass.........except that I am inherently slow regardless of factory suspension or not
  11. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Took 2 revalves to get them right?

What I'm saying is "I" know Ohlins works.... I know how they work and I can revalve myself.... I like that Ohlins isnt trying to reinvent the wheel just making really good products.... I I got a deal on the WP stuff I would take it but it would have to be half off....
    robertaccio likes this.
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    trax shock related , got the 2 and had them both serviced/rebuilt for less than one new one.
    1 had the trax assy hooked up (inspection determined most of the springs were destroyed) and a season of ama endurocross on it,
    the other had the trax drop out assy not in play and had been used in WORCS (both from the same top tier national pro )
    had them both baseline serviced and made fully operational as trax units in WP OEM configuration, I have one and one of our crew has the other, 1 is on my TE300 the other is on the FE350S.
    Now back to the thread about the shocks
    454x likes this.
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    The most evident noticeable place for me is under acceleration loaded and going over sharp spikey stuff, the thing just smoothly powers in an odd feeling way. Odd meaning that it just flows smoothly
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Post #8 ;).

It's nice to see that it really is better. I get that all the pro teams use it but the benefits could be so minor that it wouldn't benefit us. Seems all the way around better. Still think it's cool that they even do suspension services and allow us to get our hands on factory team stuff.
    Like Norman said, where's the blue? Can't have that orange on a husky :)
    robertaccio likes this.
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    we were discussing that orange bling/anodize yesterday, that same FE350S crew member pointed to his orange trax comp adjusters after I told him I did the blu bling oil fill cap (pure bling) and brake pedal tip (needed bling- OEM one was hammered).....then he pointed to his orange link/guard as well.
    You can bet there will be blu bits for the Trax as well, I have not noticed the Factory race bike set up yet?

maybe we need to the sharpie black over the orange.....I am a firm believer in sharpie engineering, details details....filling in the old Italian husky engine covers, the brembo on my brake calipers, marking my suspension settings, and covering scrapes in my black rims and more----so maybe a project to cover the orange on my comp adjusters ( I know its constant up keep thing as the stuff wears away fast)
    LandofMotards and gots_a_sol like this.
  17. bowser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350
    Any updates Robert? I picked up a trax and set of CV forks for my husky, forks are amazing. I'm struggling with the shock to get good corner entry/exit traction. Jumps, roots, rocks etc are fantastic but feels a bit loose otherwise. Do you know what stacks are in yours?
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    I had WP factory services do the rebuild. I have no idea whats in it. But I did open the HSCD way open to 40, the LSCD is at 20, reb is where set it...I forget but I can check and tell you later. I use short static sag on it and only worry about race sag per the WP technician mine's got a 5.8 spring they said thats the heaviest they like to go.....otherwise you are just overweight!! I set my forks abour 1.5 rings so this allows me to instantly make ride adjustment with preload on the the shock with happy results for me and skill level/terrain. for NHHA set race sag in the 103-105 range to drop the rear, for tecate I turned in about 2 turns to get it right at 100mm for push and quick turning....
  19. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    What? No porky factory racers!
    robertaccio likes this.
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    oh need to mention i had it sharp short race sag, in tecate she was a little unstable across some of the short fast sections, but the thing just dropped into every switch back corner and railed inside.