Will you keep the TR650 even though it could hurt?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by vodka, Mar 18, 2017.

1. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    I wonder. I see people getting rid of the TR650 to go mainstream. Who is going to keep this bike just to confound the standards?
    Parts will get hard .KTM owner doesnt give a SH*T. BMW shows total disdain.

We are on our own save each other.
  2. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I've never been one for the mainstream. I think we will be able to keep them running for years to come. With the help of other TR650 owners, we have been able to source a top end rebuild (Piston, rings, gaskets) without Husky, KTM, or BMW. The only thing that scares the bejesus out of me is the whole computer, dash, and key mating thing. I'm sure when the time comes, we will figure a way around that one too. It is such a great raw platform to build off of. Im still building on mine and it has truly become the middle weight ADV bike of my dreams.
    PaulC and gullywasher like this.
  3. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    It's unique and always gets an approving nod from other riders except those who reckon it's the same as an SWM. No mate, mine's a real 650...
    vodka likes this.
  4. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Still loving the bike--had her since new in 2013. Every time I think I need an Africa Twin I go for a ride on this bike. It's just really great, and paid for, and fully farkled, and I know most of its idiosyncrasies. Mine has been very reliable.

I feel like the design aesthetic just gets better with age. Yeah, I just love the bike and have ridden it all over the darn place. It's just the right balance for my riding, and does everything I want for my on and off road exploration.
    gullywasher, DeLewis, LED and 2 others like this.
  5. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    having just sold one in Oz and bought a new one in the US i can attest that it hurts (me) much more to let one go than to own one...
    gullywasher likes this.
  6. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Even after what I've been thru I really like the bike so I guess it's a keeper. With the 17s installed and a few other mods it never fails to make me smile.
  7. MrWiretap Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TTR250
    Yep still keep her... even though she hurts me when the seat occationally gives me a horse bite on the inner thigh when I gas it and backoff. Mainly onthe right side. :cry: Anyone else felt this?
  8. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    As above, I regard the TR as a superb dual sport bike both on and off road. Once again it performed flawlessly on the weekend through some very rugged alpine tracks fully loaded with camping gear and spare fuel. I intend to keep it permanently- it's worth a lot more to me than it's worth in the market.

In relation to parts availability, are we sure there is an issue? Have you checked with the distributors? As I posted on ADVrider I called the Australian distributor last week after reading about parts being discontinued and was told unequivocally that all parts are available including the piston kit and rings.
    gullywasher and Next like this.
  9. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Until another bike comes along that is as enjoyable on the road AND as capable off the road, I will keep mine.
    gullywasher and Next like this.