Will be visiting Northwest

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by TCP, Jul 8, 2013.

1. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

My som and I will be traveling to Oregon, Washington (for Washougal National), Idaho and maybe Montana next week with bikes loaded. What are the must ride areas and what is a waste of time. Not looking for any secret spots, just the best areas and trails within State OHV legal riding parks and MX tracks.
    ray_ray likes this.
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    What is your planned route? If you come up Hwy 97 there are extensive trail systems in central Oregon (east of Bend). Lots of good trail, but will be dry and dusty this time of year. If you get out there mid week traffic should be light though.

The Willamette Valley (I-5) is light on good trail riding.

And Washougal is usually a great race and the track is outstanding....see you there!!
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Those three states have endless great riding. What type of stuff do you want to ride and how technical are you good for? Some stuff is very steep and technical some is much EZer just trying to point you int he right direction. Sounds like a GREAT trip.
  4. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    And Washougal is in Kelly's back yard....so he knows all the good stuff on the WA side of the border.
  5. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

What I've pulled off rider planet for Oregon that looks interesting is Blue Ridge Trails near Coos Bay, China Hat near Bend, Santorum Pass, Prospect OHV, and Johns Peak in Jacksonville. Not sure about Washington yet and looking at Idaho City OHV near Boise.
    We definately want to do spend as much time in the trees as possible, Lord knows we have enough desert riding down here in So Cal. Intermediate trails/single track with occasional black diamond (OHV park ranking). we don't want to get beat up too bad early on and not enjoy the rest of the trip. My son (15) races a TC 250 in supermoto quite well and is a smart rider but not a ton of big bike (TXC310) experience off road. And quite honestly I've been so busy at the shop my riding skills and stamina have suffered because of it. Basically we want to enjoy the northwest scenery, ride some new stuff and have enough challenge to make for a few good stories when we get back hone. I'm all ears!
  6. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    I'd say check out the Brown's Camp/Diamond Mill area. Lot's of trees and in the coast range so temps should be good for riding. It's on Hwy 6 between Forest Grove and Tillamook.
  7. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Blue Ridge Trails near Coos Bay - Small riding area and kinda out of the way unless you want to ride dunes too.

China Hat near Bend - More high dez, good stuff but if you want to ride in the woods it is not exactly that. Very fun though. I suggest riding there on weekdays to avoid head ons.

Santorum Pass, Prospect OHV - Personally I would not bother. Both small, odd ride areas with a lot of jeep stuff.

Johns Peak in Jacksonville - Good riding and right off I-5 but you kinda need to know your way around as the good trails are not obvious and EZ to find. Try to hook up with someone for that ride.

Tillamook Coast range - Don't miss it. Gobs of diverse mainly technical riding there. Let me know and I can show you the good loops if you want a guide.

Hood River - Fun system in 2 different locations. Beautiful area, amazing views. Nice single track. I can show you around there too. Sometime closed do to fire danger.

Gifford - Near Mt St. Helens, Gods country, huge and beautiful. Amazing trails, technical, deep woods much of it old growth with big trees.

Idaho City - Endless single track for weeks. Very good.
    ray_ray likes this.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I still remember when I met you at Randsburg and you had an issue with your finger - be careful!
  10. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

You guys are awesome!!!
    We are REALLY looking forward to this trip.

Kelly...Your The Man! I'll call you Wednesday. Other than being at Washougal Sat AM for the race, our schedule is totally flexible. We can meet you whenever your available.

A trip to Oregon for some Husky moto without stopping at Bills would be a Cardinal sin.
    bigjon and JonXX like this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No problem. That is my anniversary weekend so will need to show you around before or after the weekend as I already have plans. Call me and we can work something out.

Thanks
    Kelly
  12. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Happy Anniversary to you and the Mrs.!
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I would love to have you come to Montana but if I don't accompany you the riding is really hard to find. Still lots of riding but you really have to go with a local. Pipestone outside Butte is probably the one area where there is a lot of marked and mapped routes. I unfortunately am lucky to get out once a week.
  14. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks wallybean, we are in Gifford WA right now and certain were going to make it to Montana this time around. Were going to ride here again tomorrow and then ride some street stuff up to Mt Ranier on a Strada we brought. I really want to make it to Evel K. Days one if these years. Maybe next year...
  15. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    I am in Missoula MT for a week. Anyone know of some good routes near by? Local bike shop was not much help.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

What kind of riding are you looking to do?
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

My internet is down:banghead:, so I am at work and will check in tomorrow ~5:30 am and respond.
  18. Desertyucca Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 & TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    DR650, IT490 a few others.
    Hi Wallybean, Sorry for the delay, Took a trip up to the lakes yesterday. Sorry TCP, I did not mean to hijack your post.
    Looking for anything Jeep trails, single track, dirt roads with scenic rides? I found a web site showing some areas to ride.