1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Will a Later Reed Valve top end fit on my 1972 250

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by chamber66, May 28, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If you search eBay you might find a later reed housing.
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The piston ported husky chainsaws and the Suzuki TS 125/100/185 taught me in the beginning.

These old bikes were the best rides. I seen a husky rider blow up a husky bike at the dam. He seen our Suzuki TS 185s and lost it. He said our 185s didn't have enough power to blow themselves up. I said nothing.
  3. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM370, Curtis Honda, Maico 400
    As we have moved on to carbs slightly. The article above, suggests a 38mm carb on a 250. isn't that a little extreme?? But if the graphs are correct?

Does anyone have a copy of Husky Newsletter #23 with the porting suggestions they could scan or send me?
  4. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    My gut feeling (which may be very wrong) is to fit a later barrel and head. If the mounting holes are slightly different, it may be easiest to plug up the holes and re-drill???
  5. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Husky Newsletter #23 - 2 page Reed article:

Attached Files:

6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    John L has already told you no. If you want I can get you the cylinder stud pattern from my 79 390WR engine. It may be the same spread as the same year range for the 250. Remember if you go the later cylinder, you are disqualified from 1974 class in AHRMA and will have to compete with the early long travel bikes.
  7. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Chamber66 lives in the UK and races mostly in wales and England I believe This bike would be in the pre74 class. under the AMCA rules which state -
    26.4 No reed valves allowed, unless part of the original equipment of the machine.
    Classic scrambling in the UK is not at a high point at the moment and as long as he does not kick every body's arse he will probably get away with it. There are two different centres for 250 studs, I think they changed in 77-78, the earlier spread might be the same as 72 but the only real way to find out is to try one!
    Having said that I have a reed valve set up for a Starmaker pre65 engine which I have never been brave enough to try!
  8. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    Think I should add, when I get a new bike I like to ask loads of stupid questions, so it can help me decide where i'm going with the bike :rolleyes:

Hello Mr Stormer How's things? I won't be kicking anyone's arse on a bike in my lifetime I feel. I think reeds were fitted to the factory bikes at this period???
    Pre74 class in the Welsh events is always well turned out, I think in both classes? S

Anyway, I just feel like making it as good as it could be, and after seeing this I think, something along these sort of lines, but with a steel frame obviously. Anyway we shall see

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/1972-360-works-husky.87117/#post-619306

P.S I raced in England once and it was scary lol