Wickenberg AZ AMA Nat Enduro, anyone?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by robertaccio, Sep 5, 2008.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Robertaccio is signed in the SEN B div for the Wick,,,,,anyone else doin it?
  2. TripleW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you raced there before? Some nasty terrain down there. :D Later, TW
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    never even ridden there,,,, been dreaming about it. No podium expected!! We have a few guys from San Diego heading over. Gotta do some more suspension tuning for that one. R
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I'm glad to see Wickenberg is back on the schedule as a national!

No Wickenberg for me this year, but I went a few times a few years ago. I rode it the year it rained non-stop and the desert looked like a lush tropical garden. The rocky washes were full of running water and the locals didn't know what to do!

I was pretty nervous my first time there. I kinda thought I had no business entering a national enduro in the desert with about 2 weekends' worth of desert experience under my belt. I was expecting high-speed sandy whoops and stuff, but it wasn't like that at all. Nice tight terrain, pretty juicy stuff all the way around. Just stay away from those huge nasty cacti! The only funky thing was the cows were eating the arrows and folks were riding in circles.

As to your question in the rimlock thread concerning tires, I ran trials rears and 756 fronts and they worked great in that terrain.

Good luck, Robertaccio, and I expect a full report when you return!:)

WoodsChick
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    I hope the old guys with new bikes combo works well !
    For me its as you stated, a gnarly and nice single track trail ride, no need to get all crazy and pumped. My plan is to be smooth and steady with some flashes of brilliance (ha ha). currently in MTB training mode, and heading to the next SRA GP at Glen Helen for moto practice. Thanx R
    PS I mailed Scott Summers racing for tire choice suggestions,,,,lets see what the pros say (if anything)
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Any other Husqvarna presence, for this one?? Just checking. R
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Enjoy it! I just saw the '09 National Enduro Schedule.... nothing further west than Indiana!

Edit: Oops! I have to learn my States! I guess I thought MT was Michigan, not Montana and WY was West Virginia, not Wyoming!
    Norman
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    just got the start list,,,,,they put all the pros in one minute consecutive spaces towards the rear end of the minutes........ that means that most of us regular guys will start in front of the who's who of US enduro and international enduro competition. Let's see Bobbit & Lafferty will battle for the nat. championship here ,,and I among other amatuers will be in their way This will be a blast. Still gotta count the number of SEN Bs to size up my competition (I know at least a couple of them) hopefully there are lots of corners because the guys I know are Dez/Baja racers. enjoy the ride
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not for long :lol:

I had a chance to see Lafferty and all those guys go blazing by at a national once after I flatted/houred out and was on my way back to the staging area. It is absolutely incredible how fast they go. I got to see them come through this one cool section that came down a hill, crossed the road, and then jumped up an embankment to the trail. Further down the road I got to see them blazing a wash in a pretty narrow canyon. Simply awe-inspiring...no other word for it.

WoodsChick
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yup, I just saw that, too. What a crock of crap:thumbsdown:

It was bad enough losing the Quicksilver and all the tradition (and misery) that went with it, but now we get a national in NV for one year and then it's out? And Wickenberg is a national, then it's not, then it is, then it's not...WTF?

There needs to be some representation here on the west coast.
    How can it be a "national" series when half the nation is excluded?

PissedOffChick
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Its been a while but Ive been roosted by Jr, davis and number of other well knowns in both the tecate HS and enduros. Davis and Trussardi were on the minute behind me in 97......I swear they passed me within 2 minutes of the start!!!in tight single track, amazing, cool thing about our hobby/sport we get to take the field with the top pros,,,does not happen in any other sport,, motorsports or stick and ball sports.

bummer about the 09 schedule for sure.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    AMA National Enduro? Not Me!!!

Best of luck Robert, try to stay ahead of the pros for at least 1 minute and stay healthy :thumbsup:
  13. HuskyT Moderator

Having had the fine pleasure of riding/racing with Rob now several times I have to say that riding with Rob is kind of like chasing the wind through the trees ( or Chaparral) I'm quite confident he will be at least 2.5 minutes ahead. Hope the MTB workouts helped and with that new Airoh helmet you should do well.... If nothing else, you will look good and your in even better shape !

Semper Fi Rob! Give 'em hell. SRA is coming up again soon brother! Come bag a trophy!
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    NOV SRA ! Yeah!!
    but first this sucker needs to be tamed,,, and the dogone heat is back on looks like 90s!!!for the weekend.
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    don't slag me,,, first four words too hot, too dry

I was hampered by temps in 96 deg zone at 2700ft. I dropped the ball after the first C loop and came in at the 42mile C check out. Never less then 10 mins ahead of my minute at all the checks on the loop, trail speed was mostly good. trails were alot of sharp and curvy,,,nothing too extreme on the C loop but just a wear you down "warm up" for the riders. Finished 14 of 31.. took a while to recover,,,I was in heat exhaustion mode at about 3/4 of the way through the loop,,,was having nausea and got dizzy even with powerbars x2 and gookinaide in my bladder with 2x bottles water at one check and some aspirin for the ticker..I had also poured water all over myself at every check and from the start,,it was so dry that 15min is about all the time it took to dry off..... 15deg cooler probably would have been fine but 96 ,,O humidity kicked my old butt.
    very advanced trail,,,only top ,,maybe 5 guys passed,,,Jr , Bob, Cole Kirk and some other fast guys , they were all good to us slow guys when approaching and passing, lots of yelling!! plenty of fluids and back at sea level and 65 deg feels good,,... OCMC put on a good event,, alot like the old tecate enduro,,,but our crew member that finished 2nd vet b said B loop had uglier sections then he had ever seen in Tecate.
  16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the race recap, Robert! Sorry to hear it was so tough, what with the heat and all. I'd have had a very hard time, for sure. I can ride all day in 18-degree weather, but once it creeps up to 90 I pretty much fall flat on my face no matter what the terrain is like. Good for you for sticking it out til the end of the first loop.

What is OCMC? Is the enduro no longer put on by the AZ Trail Riders?

WoodsChick
  17. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Off Camber MC but the AZ trail riders were there too.
    The trail really had nothing worse/more technical than a good tecate single track style ride or our local corral canyon (but more of it),,it was strictly the heat that dogged me out. My trail speed was fine all the way through, always ahead of the minute,,,just wish that doggone temp was 15deg less!! (getting too old for the heat)80 would have been fine!!! Looks like no nats next year out west,,so I am glad I went.funny drove @600miles round to ride 43miles!!!and get passed by Jr.,Bobbit etal !! fun stuff R
    TXC worked super well, no overheat, ran 50%premium 91/50% VP street blaze 100
    only one minor get off on a sharp left at the end of a steep loose down hill. And only got one Ocotillo cactus attached to my right forearm, pliers at the next check took care of that one, and the remains back in the pits after.
    Good news for our San Diego crew, C&D Cycles, S Grieb finished 2nd VetB!
  18. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Robert,
    Is 90+F and no humidity worse than 90+F and 95% humidity back east? I've ridden a few like that.:cry:
    Norman
  19. TripleW Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was looking for you in the pits Sunday morning, But I saw not one husky. What row did you start on? TripleW
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    19a , minute 19. only 2 of us on 19 the other was a Honda 450 Open B rider
    I think I was the only Husky there. another note, one of our crew (J Horn) rode a Bajabound Adventures XR250,, I think he was the only aircooled bike guy there, he was doing well but also became a heat casualty midway through the B Loop,, dried out, cramped and camped!!!