Which battery?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Durruti, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    Hello!

My yuasa battery is about to die after a ~year. I had bought it cause they are supposed to be good products, but I'm not happy with the power it delivers, many times it can't roll the starter properly, it couldn't even when it was new.

Has anyone tested motobatt batteries? I heard they are good stuff, but I'm not sure.
    Any other not extremely overpriced choices?

I don't care at all about the weight, I just want power and reliability.

Thanx!
  2. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    I have used Motobatt in my 610/drz and now my 630. it has been reliable and I like the extra set of terminals. I alway keep it on a ctek trickle charger when not riding .

Next time I will try a lithium lightweight job.
    Durruti likes this.
  3. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    Probably not what your after but I bought the SSB lithium ultralight a year ago, yes 50% more than the lead acid, but in theory many times longer life it should be cheaper in the long run. No problems so far and the 3 kg weight saving is pretty awesome for the price.

I had a motobatt in my wr250f which died around 12months. Different battery but probably similar quality.
    Durruti likes this.
  4. Sizzler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600, SZR660, TLM260. DRZ250
    I have Motobatts n my road bikes.
    The extra terminals are great.
    On my Yamaha 660 (with some big-bore, high compression mods) I rode around for a year, parked it in the shed for two, and then started it up for a track day, no probs.

These are good batteries.
    Durruti likes this.
  5. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
  6. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Mine was going out for awhile, just didn't know it. Replaced it with a BatteryMart AGM for $50 and it works great. I was skeptical, but so far so good. I put both bikes on a trickle charger every other week or if they're not being ridden. I've never had problems with bike batteries unless they just quit. Not sure what kills them. I think they get a dead cell and it takes the whole battery down.
    Durruti likes this.
  7. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
  8. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    You definitely need a trickle charger or battery maintainer if the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks.

That's one advantage of lipo batts as their self-discharge rate is really low. Lead acid are about 10% per week. In a few weeks they'r likely to go less than 50% and that will ruin them over the long haul. The charger does a better job of peak charging them as well, compared to running them on the stator.
    Durruti likes this.
  9. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Anyone try a Shorei or Ballistic battery?
  10. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    ^I've read a lot about them, but they are way out of my budget. Some people believe that lithium batteries don't have mature enough technology yet. I would trust ballistic for sure, but I'd pay for something like that only if weight was important for some reason.

I bought today a little charger form Lild, it was a very sweet offer.
    I'll try it in both batteries (car-bike) and come back with feedback.
  11. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    The lead acid exception here being an AGM battery like the Yuasa that comes stock in our bike. It closely rivals the discharge rate of a Lithium battery.

For anyone going Lithium, just be careful about letting them ever getting completely discharged. I've personally seen two incidents, both probably avoidable but a possibility that doesn't exist with lead acid batteries. One Shorai was dead and put on a charger, battery smoked and circuitry fried crispy. Another Shorai was dead in the morning, after numerous start attempts and then a jump start bike fired up and ran fine. 15 miles later into the ride the Shorai caught fire. Full blown flames and only got it out by smothering it with sand. That fire took out a good portion of a 990 Adventure wiring harness which was a very costly repair.

_
  12. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I installed a 12 Cell Ballistic in 2012. I covered about 1.5k milles, most of them in tracks, and the battery has always worked properly.
  13. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    I've heard that same problem with Shorei batteries, I've also read about the issues with cold starting and low battery levels before. I'm not a battery expert but I am tempted by putting a light weight battery on the bike and think/hope that most problems will be addressed by a proper battery charger and not just a standard tender........but it still makes me think twice.
  14. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I went through the ringer with the 2 Ballistic EVO2 batteries I bought. I wouldn't recommend them at all. Both of mine came apart internally and shorted out causing me to be stranded trail side. Shorai seems to have a reliable track record and the EarthX seems very good too. My 2 cents worth.
  15. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    There is a three years warranty for mine. Did you use the warranty?
    How many cells have yours and in which bikes were they installed?
    PS: most of the time, my bike didn't have the lights because I was at the track, but being at the track means to use the bike for 10-15 minutes and then turn it off and re-start it; besides, I use my bike rarely and I seldom disconnect the battery.
    reveille likes this.
  16. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Shorei is the way to go.

Paw Paw
  17. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    3 year prorated warranty(wanna say it was 2 year for mine?) and shipping at my cost. Some deal. 8 cell EVO 2 = Garbage IMO The price they told me I would owe after the warranty claim exceeded what I paid for the battery new. They go by MSRP which isn't retail so the warranty is a joke.
    Theo likes this.
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Café Husky sponsor ZipTy Racing has Earth-X batteries in their inventory. support the supporters. (or not). Been using them for 3 bikes now, good product, bullet proof, no thoughts no worries, install and forget.
  19. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I didn't know this; actually, I didn't even know the difference between prorated and not prorated warranties: I had to Google it. I hope not to have problems with mine... .
    I read the relating thread and I like the concept of the Battery Management System.
  20. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    If I decide to buy another lithium battery it will be a EarthX for sure.