Where to tap in for a GPS power supply?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Ziggy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    The headlight shell is full of wiring, I don't have a diagram and am a klutz when it comes to lectrics.

What I can ID is the wires running to the heated grips. Likely place? The grips have one of those intelligent controllers that turn off when there's no electrical activity. Problem?

First up I'll get a multi-meter into those circuit connectors and see what flows when.
  2. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Hey Ziggy, I'm no electrical guru, but I find one of these usb connections handy for powering phone and a gps. It's got a 5amp fuse in line and connects straight (if you want) to the battery. I perfer the usb's to be alive. Easily removable.

If your after something more weather proof and switched, I would posi-tap into the park light (lite duty only) or heated grips connector. And use a 12v to 5v step down, something like this, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-to-5V-3A-Step-down-Converter-Regulator-to-2-Female-USB-Output-for-Car-OT-/252246053635?hash=item3abb095303:g:vawAAOSwL7VWk3MI

Items can be found on ebay

also
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9g0qHUdI4T4c1F6U0JEcmxBLXM

IMG_6785.JPG
    IMG_6787.JPG

edit: I got the USB from thirdgear
  4. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Thanks guys. That gives me a road map.

The GPS draws 2 amps max. Or is that watts :confused:
  5. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
  6. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    You can also run a wire with an inline fuse to the dash area straight from the battery. That's what I did four years ago for my USB power... easy, and never had an issue with it.
    Ziggy likes this.
  7. Masterpotter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R27, R100, R1200gs,DT1,
    I ran my battery charging wire under the black trim that covers the gas tank and gas cap , drilled a small hole for the wire and ran it through , so that it sits very close to the center of the front forks.Now I can plug in my GPS , or anything else.
    I pulled the power for my heated grips right off the headlight wire as per Big Dog's thread. Over 12,000 miles and no issues.
  8. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Since the draw of a GPS is low I was hoping that it wouldn't need a new circuit but could piggy back off an existing one.
  9. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Just finished wiring up a friend's brandnew XT660.
    Started off as a "I need a power supply for the GPS around the front",
    then morphed into
    "whadda think of a 12V socket for the trickle charger and the compressor somewhere"
    adding
    "" a power supply for the tankbag/ tailbag would be awesome...12V + USB to charge the phone inside the bag on the fly..."
    and of course
    "can we somehow fit a socket for the heated gloves?"

Whoopee!! That's 4 power-points all around the bike, some of them switched, some straight, all fused...and preferably installed in a way that it's not to be seen, encased in flexible conduit, tied everywhere, using the appropriate fine-strand wire for maximum reliability and durability, all ends and connections in SAE-plugs for practicality and versatility, all soldered and heat-shrunk....and the entire thing to be made to be removed within minutes if so required, without leaving a trace.

6 weeks later and the "let's throw a wire in there" is finally finished.
    He DID pay for the beer, though...:lol:
    LED and PaulC like this.
  10. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Heheh.
    Sure you didn't train in the US aerospace industry?
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Worse...a born Kraut!! :-)
  12. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Ah.
    Always tricky to know when thorough is tipping over into obsessive.
  13. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    They said the same thing about that little shit with his funny mustache.
    Should I be worried now??
    Oops!
    :-)
    Ziggy likes this.
  14. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    I did similar a few weeks back. Ordered 5 SAE plugs each with ~ 6" cable from ebay -> $8. Wired through a fuse to the battery with the SAE outlet at the handle bars. Soldered another SAE plug to a solid state 12V to 5V DC-DC converter with USB outlet now zip tied in place, another SAE plug to trickle charger outlet and one to my 12v pump. All soldered and heat shrinked. Also ordered silicone rubber anti-dust USB plug cover (Red to match the Terra :)) to protect the USB outlet when not in use. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151933007832

Now have SAE charge point and power outlet for toys.:applause:
    glitch_oz likes this.
  15. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Went with a PC8 on that XT as some of the circuits were switched, others straight. I also like to use fused relays as they keep things neat and tight and all in one place.
    Makes the job much easier, too. Those SAE plugs are pretty good, another mate put me on to those after he bought a trickle charger with SAE-connectors.
    So we did the rest of his bike with them. Haven't used anything else since.
  16. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

A "Fuzeblock" (http://www.fuzeblocks.com/) and SAE connectors is the way to go.
  17. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Seems like a lot of expense just to power a GPS. Twin USB's $32, 12 minutes labour and ride on
    (plus cost of a ram mount)
  18. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Well this is what I did.

Power from the heated grips circuit wasn't a goer. Only flows when the grips are switched on.

The socket kit from eBay came with a fused lead that was long enough to run back to the battery under the covers.

The kit has one cigg socket and two 2.1 A USBs.

The only wrinkle is that the socket clamp is light weight and won't hold particularly tight. I've fiddled with tape packing to improve it and will see how it goes. The upside is that it's on its own circuit, is switched and fused. There's now the option to charge devices off two kinds of power outlet.

s-l1600.jpg
  19. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
  20. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Good feature!
    $69?

The rest just seems to be a stock 40A relay with 5 positive "outs" .... all being switched circuits.
    (unlike the FuzeBlock or PC8 which both offer switched + un-switched circuits.)