Where to even begin? Loosing a friend.

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by NH-JP, Jul 12, 2018.

1. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Sorry I have not been on and posting lately.
    Had a traumatic event happen 2 weeks ago. Here is a summary that I had put out there the day after:

Hey Guys.
    I don't even know where to start in writing this.
    Yesterday was such a beautiful day here.
    Schedule has been crazy for me lately. Kids, life, you know the deal. I had not actually been on my bike for 3 and a half weeks! For me, that is a huge gap in time.
    Yesterday was the only real day that I was able to make work for getting a pre-ride in for the small bike ride prior to the event.
    I was really expecting to go ride it alone, you know, middle of the week, middle of the day.
    But the night before my buddy texted me that his day had changed, and he was available, and psyched, to come ride. Yes! A beautiful day, and 2 friends out for a nice long ride.
    I felt tired in the morning, just an overall life tired, but when I got on the bike I was invigorated. I felt so loose and fresh!
    We were having a fun time, fun banter back and forth. A couple of quick stops here and there checking on mechanicals, on each other. The start of a great time.

And then the day changed.

We were riding through a very easy section, Class 6 road that was really wide open and flat. There was a tough climb coming up, and it is when, in your mind, you start to steel yourself for it. That was when I looked over my shoulder, saw he was just a bit behind me, and I pushed on.

I made it to the top of the climb, and stopped. This is our norm. Wait at the top, see who got stuck on the climb (like 1st and 2nd gear climb), joke about it, and catch your breath.
    I waited a minute or two. I did not hear anything. Took off my helmet, and walked a little bit down the hill and around the corner to a point where you have a good line of site on the difficult section. No one coming.
    All right, he must have had a mechanical issue. I'll go check on him.
    Back to the bike, helmet on. Heading back town the hill. Slow though. I figure at any moment he is going to be coming right at me. No such luck.
    I got all the way back down the hill. Back onto the flat, non technical section, came around the corner to find my friend in a heap in the middle of the trail. Not 50 yards from when I last looked back over my shoulder at him.

It was horrific.
    I cannot describe to you what it is like to see your friend in that condition, to feel so helpless, to feel guilt.
    I tried to save him. First responders tried to save him. He was gone. He is gone.

His name was Frank Colon. And he was my friend.

He was so enthusiastic. Always had a smile on his face, and he LOVED to ride!

It really makes no sense. Where he was, how it happened. A freak accident.

So today I am at a loss. Trying to process it all.

Look around you. Realize all that you have, all that is important to you, and cherish it.

Riding in the woods I always knew in the back of my mind that an accident was a possibility, but I always thought of it in terms of a broken something, NOT the end of a life.
    So today Frank lives on, in our hearts and in our minds. Frank was a father, a husband, a member of MVTR, a member of the MT. Pisgah ATV Club, a board member of NETRA, and a vocal representative of our off road community.

Thank you for your support. I love you guys, and the community that I am lucky to be a part of.

JP

Frank was a husky guy too, on a TE300 when it happened. 3rd gear.
    I got on the bike once right away with 2 of our other riding buddies. They wanted to see the site. To try and understand. To make sense of it.
    I then hopped on a plane for a family vacation that had been planned.
    Flying home today, and supposed to race on Sunday.
    Not even sure I can do that.
    I know it’s what he would want me to do.
    I know I can ride, but how to rip? Dunno.

Taking it one day at a time, and trying not to cry too much, or too often.

Anyway, just figured I would put this out there.
    Coffee and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  2. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Frank and I were pre-riding a trail for the Northeast Adventure Rally that starts on the 20th.
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You do it because they are always with you. They wouldn't want you to stop or slow down. I lost my Mom unexpectedly just 2 weeks ago hours before my family and I were going to arrive to visit. It never happens when you expect, but you have to respect their memory by carrying on and doing what makes you happy, because that in turn makes them happy. Friends and family live on forever in our hearts.
    flyingbob and NH-JP like this.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    very sorry to hear this about your friend...of course it hurts, its a special bond you have with a person like that. yes, it is okay to cry about it and reflect. theres nothing wrong with that..
    i was in a similar situation to yours years ago..lost one of my best friends out riding. again, a freak thing...we were very close and shared a love together of husqvarnas..its important to ride on and remember the good times you two had together...time will help heal things some but the memory and love will live on within you much longer than the pain..
    NH-JP likes this.
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Can't imagine how you and Frank's family are feeling at the moment, a terrible loss all around. I hope you are coping ok, if not talk to some friends, don't keep it in, good friends will gladly help.
    R.I.P Frank and God Bless.
    NH-JP likes this.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My condolences to you. It is hard for me to imagine what it would be like to have something like that happen.
    NH-JP likes this.
  7. jimmyc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 TXC449, 09 SM610, WR250, plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    18YZ250X GS1200 busa duc900SS GG
    So Sorry
    R.I.P. Frank.
    NH-JP likes this.
  8. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    sorry for the loss,, also Im always curious, was it the crash or did he have medical condition (like a heart attack) that put him on the ground?
    NH-JP likes this.
  9. gaz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Nice words there, it’s tough articulating circumstances and feelings around the loss of a good friend but you have done well by him and yourself.
    NH-JP likes this.
  10. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    I had wished, and hoped that it was a medical issue that caused the crash.
    In my mind, that would have not made it a motorcycle accident.
    Unfortunately there was no medical event, and he died from his injuries.
    An adjustment of his goggles? A reach for a bladder hose? A deer in the trail? We will never know.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    tough pill. sorry. this thing we do is not a couch sport, it has taken some of the best in world. condolences
    NH-JP likes this.
  12. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
  13. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Frank Is Here! (2).jpg

I raced an enduro this weekend. Was definitely not on my A game, but had to try some race time regardless. Gonna take some time to get back up to speed and hold a level of confidence.
    duggoey, flyingbob, gaz and 1 other person like this.
  14. covi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    350 FX
    I’m so sad to read this. I don’t know you guys. But, to have this happen is just terrible. RIP Frank. My next ride I will be thinking about you.
    NH-JP likes this.
  15. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kindness. It has definitely been a struggle.
    We are all trying to settle into the new normal.
    Also trying to be there to support his family in every way possible.
    This is all uncharted territory.
    justintendo likes this.
  16. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    I am so sorry for your loss! There are no words that work right in that situation.
    justintendo likes this.
  17. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Hello Everyone!

5:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 14

This is an opportunity for everyone to Celebrate the life of Frank.

2 Months ago Frank and I were out for a dirt ride together, when Frank crashed, and ended up dying from his injuries.

Frank lived and breathed motorsports, was a huge advocate for us, and was, at the time of his passing, a Board member of NETRA!
    He influenced many in the community.

Please come and join us in support. For the family. For the riding community!

Here is a link to the posting:

And to the original Obituary:

Thank you Everyone for your support through this! My life has been changed forever. Both by his passing, and the friendship we shared!
  18. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    Memories are special moments that tell our story.

Please join in the telling of Frank Colon’s story

Share a memory of a time you had with Frank, be it a brief account or an epic tale. You don’t need to be a writer to share your stories of adventure, of support in a time of need, of a shared a laugh, a moment of sorrow, or a great ride— share the memories that keep Frank’s spirit alive.

This collection of “Frank stories” will be assembled in a book for Frank’s daughter, Lilly, in hopes that she may continue to learn from and about her father throughout her life’s journey.

Please email your story/stories and any accompanying photos to:
    Kristen Bernier at kmbernier@comcast.net

Email your story by November 12, 2018

Please include the following information with your story:
    • your full name • your relationship to Frank • date or timeframe when your story occurred
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    You have both my deepest sympathy & Happy thoughts...

Life can change in an instant - I know first hand.