1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Where should I look to find a new bottom for my engine?

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Mike758, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Mike758 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '87 430
    I need a new bottom for my 1987 Husqvarna 430AE, which i go into more detail about in this thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/should-i-convert-my-1987-430ae-into-a-manual-transmission.38538/

But I understand that I can get the bottom for either the AE, WR, or the other 430 model, which I think is a CR? But anyway I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist and ebay and haven't found much. It doesn't help that I'm in the USA either, these sound like they're a lot more common in Europe.

Also, I don't know if anyone would recommend something else, like dropping a new engine on and completely rebuilding the bike, because Husqvarnas really are obsolete here. The only thing that I would be worried about though is that it if I did that, the bike would cost a lot to rebuild and would lose a lot of value. Completely restored in original condition, the AE is worth about $5,000 here, and the WR is worth about $3,500+. Another thing I was considering was parting this whole thing out, because there's a lot of original parts in good condition, which I would be able to make a fortune out of. It just kills to part out a rare bike that only has a gear problem and just needs a bit of TLC.
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Still hard to talk about an umbrella girl without pics ! :D
    Don't know where you find your prices ( $5000 and $3500 ) ?
    USA was the greatest buyer of husky bikes, so if don't find in USA, it 'll
    be harder in the rest of the world.
    Put an add in craiglists or mark vintage swapmeet ( don't wait for the good parts,
    chase it !!!)
  3. Mike758 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '87 430
    I have pictures, what do you want pictures of?

And I came up with the prices by just trying to find these bikes online. The 430AE is so rare, and I found one for sale online that had less original parts then mine selling for around $4,000, so I just kind of assumed a price. And with the WR I found ones for sale in both better and worse condition then mind so $3,500 was kind of a median number. I was also told by a few motorcycle guys that those prices are in the right ball park. And if you don't believe me on the parts, look them up on ebay right now, they are not cheap
  4. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Send pictures of whole bike and internal motor in order to see in what shape it is.
    I have a 430 ae motor in a 400 wrlc frame, and also a 400 wrlc 84.
  5. Mike758 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '87 430
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Right now the plastic are off and the bikes tucked away, but here's an image of the bike and some pictures (bad pictures) of whats in that crankcase. That clutch on the left gave me a bit of trouble

Picture 4 is with the new clutch springs, so don't think that the two missing springs in the first two pictures is the problem. If you need better pictures or pictures of something specific let me know
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

7. Mike758 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '87 430

That helped a lot, especially seeing the workshop manual for the 430AE which I couldn't find. Now you make it sound like my estimates for value are off, how much would you value my bike assuming I do a good job restoring? It just helps with determining my budget.
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Value is a very subjective issue. It will only be someone in love with the Husqvarna Auto that would consider buying one with any kind of inner case issues. Also is the difficulty/expense of finding replacement clutch components. I miss the 1978 390 Auto I had picked up in 1981 needing a replacement 2nd gear. I loved and hated it all at the same time. If it had disc brakes back then it would have been all love and I would still own it to this day. If I had found a 390WR bottom end I would never have sold it. I was riding here in New England where it is common to encounter long downhills all too soon after an axle deep water crossing.
  9. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not sure it is a good aim to expect to make money restoring a 430 AE.
    You can try to sell it at high price or reasonnable price.
    It is only a matter of time depending on your choice.
    Trade laws are hard reality.
  10. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I am afraid you will be lucky to get more than $1000 unless perfect and they can be a money pit. I have not paid any more than that for any of mine
  11. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

There was one 430 ae 87-88 in good shape for sale 1000 € in France 3 weeks ago.
    The guy expected some auction for his bike.
    I think we were only 2 guys interested.
    I make an offer at 900 €, my friend 1000€, and I think he got it.
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Another stark reality is the cost of buying anything large that would need shipping. People just look at the cost of the bike and add in the cost of shipping. It usually then becomes a deal breaker unless the bike price is negotiated to absorb some of the shipping cost
  13. Mike758 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '87 430
    Wow so I guess I shouldn't put too much money into it unless it's the bike I really want. My two dirtbike friends must not know much because they told me it was worth all this cash. If I wanted to make money it sounds like parting it out is the best way to go. The parts would probably take awhile to sell but they're worth more than the bike is in whole. Like the clutch springs alone sell for $100, the kick starter is like $70, and the plastic are even worth a lot. I never really looked into stuff out of the engine either.

So from what you guys are saying I guess the bikes really only worth what it's worth to me. And I'm not really disappointed because I heard these bikes are awesome to ride. But I guess if this gear problem ends up costing too much to fix, I would be better off just parting it out though, right?
  14. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

To know what to do, you need to answer to the 5 questions:
    1: Do you want to ride a vintage bike ?
    2: Do you want to ride an Husqvarna ?
    3: Do you want to ride an Auto ?
    4: What is your favorite color ?
    5: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg
    rwgregory and Autopilot like this.
  15. Submit Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR125, 86 430 AUTO
    If you decide to part it out I would be interested in possibly buying a few parts.
  16. Mike758 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '87 430
    If that's what I decide to do I will get back to you. I feel like the bike would end up costing more to fix then it's worth so I'm still debating here
  17. Submit Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR125, 86 430 AUTO
    Mike758,

I know what you mean, I'm getting my dad's 86 430 auto running again after sitting in a pool shed for about 25 year's. Luckily for me he did all the proper maintenance on the bike before he put it away all those years ago. I'm really excited to get this bike going again, because I've wanted to ride for so long!

He keeps telling me I'm not allowed to race it but I just keep telling him I'm not putting all this time and money into for it to just sit in the garage for another 25 years lol. I think he say's it because he wants to ride it/race it again.
  18. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    After all the above if I were u (love that saying:D) I would go for a resto job.

looking at the 5 questions...no 5 is easy, the rest are difficult but if you answered yes to any of 2,3+4, I would look to doing the bike up and riding it.

you would have something unique. you will quickly become a much better rider on the auto and you will be involved with a hugely supportive Café Husky community who will help solve any problems that crop up.

who wouldn't go ahead with this.??

don't expect it to happen overnight that's all and yes $$ will be difficult but its not a Chev Lumina, its a Ferrari.....

enjoy the journey, go back through some of the restoration threads here and see how people have done their bikes, great background reading....