Wheel bearing dimensions?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Trapperj, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    I have searched and even made a couple phone calls with no luck. Anyone known the dimensions of the TRs wheel bearings?..

Thanks all!
  2. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    This is timely. I have my Strada rims off at the moment. They seem to be the same bearing dimensions front and rear. I measured 1.582" OD (the bearing race) and 0.665" ID (inner part of bearing). The bearing depth was a bit harder for me to measure with depth gauge and a chamfer vs. the back of the bearing. I estimate 0.47"
  3. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    Thanks Ignaciob !
  4. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    I searched for 650gs bearing sizes, and found this:

SKF 31 42 2 314 724 Rear Wheel - (x2) 17 x 40 x 12 6203-2RS1
    SKF 31 42 2 314 724 Front Wheel - (x2) 17 x 40 x 12 6203-2RS1

ref: http://www.f650.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-5672.html

That would coincide with the measurements Ignaciob took. Those are supposedly BMW part numbers beside it, but I'm not familiar with their numbering system to know if it's accurate.
  5. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    Fairly close....within 0.02mm anyway on my $30 plastic gauge from Sears. I think the dimensions inside the forum description of 17mm ID, 40mm OD, and 12mm thickness numbers are the ones we should use as reference in the future.
  6. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    The numbers you want are the 6203 ones. VERY common bearing and SiN Hybrid bearings ( not full ceramic) are available. Had to replace mine in the front a less than 1000km and same in my BMW F800R front and rear at 5000km. The chinese bearings in the wheels in both are very poor quality.
  7. DerBrizon Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 Suzuki SV650S
    My front bearing (I think, due to some vibrations) is starting to go. What bearing should I get? I see a lot of different choices for 6203 bearings. Sealed ceramic hybrids seem to be the priciest. Are these ideal, or is there something else I should get?
  8. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    A sealed, good quality bearing like the Timken or...less pricey...any Japanese made bearing like the Nachi's
    http://reviews.vxb.com/Ball-Bearing...g-17x40x12-Sealed-C3-Japan-Ball-Bearings.html

are absolutely fine and good for 100.000 miles +
    If possible, I tend to pry out the seal on one side, repack with decent bearing grease and slip the plastic cover back over the top before installing the bearing (not the Nachi's though, due to their involved seal-design).

You'll get 6203s just about everywhere, any bearing/ industrial supplies, engineering supplies and lots of other places. VERY common bearing for anything from cement mixers to movable shelving and endless other applications.
  9. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Common if you want the SKF brand. Make sure they are certified from SKF and that your bearing house is not getting black market forgeries.

Nobody carried the NTN, NSK, KOYO, FAG or Nachi or anything else. Timken does not make these ball bearings. The bearings I pulled out of the rear of my Terra were SKF italy. JUNK---BMW has not redeemed themselves with bearings in my eyes.

SKF is mass produced garbage that has a great market strategy. They are cheap and the product quality reflects this. I have replace more SKF bearings than all other brands combined. NOBODY will convince me they are a top shelf bearing. They are a good bearing for the money, and that is all I can say about them. Given the chance, I will pay alot more for the NTN or NSK bearings.

There are 4 bearings in the rear wheel assembly, 2 in the wheel and 2 in the hub. I did not check the part number of the hub bearings.

There is a few excellent videos on youtube on how them bearings are made. I think it was NTN that has their factory profiled.
    View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6svVy1lYOA
  10. DerBrizon Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 Suzuki SV650S
    Are more expensive hybrid ceramic bearings worth it? I see some bearings for a seemingly ridiculous 30-150 USD.

Also, there's six bearings on the bike, but I'm looking through the parts manual and there's a discrepancy I think. On the rear wheel drawing it shows part #6 and Part #18 as wheel bearings, calling for 3 #6's and 2 #18s, but looking at the drawing you can only see two of each. Both bearings have identical dimensions but different part numbers, then, and the bike's parts manual calls for five in the rear, but actually needs four.
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

6203's are a very common size in any brand over here. Just called our local bearing shop (Bearola in Bayswater/ Victoria) and they have 6 different brands (Timken, NTN + Nachi amongst them) on the shelf in that size right now. Other brands have to be ordered and are available within 24hrs.
  12. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

I don't know what you guys have in Oz, but timken does not make a 6203. I just downloaded the pdf from Timken and there is none listed. None of my bearing suppliers could get them either, as Timken is my first choice, use them in all my differentials when I go in.

So this brings up the very real issue of counterfeits. If your dealers are stocking something that, from all my resources says does not exist, what are you getting?

And trust me, I tried to get Timken. Below, Timken seal and SKF (exporer) bearings. Made in Korea.
    DSC08050.JPG

The laser etching on the races (SKF replacement bearings) is precise, unlike the laser etching on the bad SKF (italy) removed. So I was wondering where BMW bought the bearings for Husky. I had bad bearings in my R100GS transmission also, 30K miles, made in S Africa. BMW is elcheapoing things.

SKF has a big writeup about counterfeit bearings. Yet, when I called them, they were absolutely no help in confirming anything. BMW will not cooperate either. Thus, I am allowed to badmouth them and their QC and parts acquisitions. They (BMW), may very well have bought counterfeit bearings cheap, as may your bearing houses in Oz.

It's a big download, but if you wish to verify yourself, here it is in pdf, once you click it is loading.
    http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/Documents/Timken-Ball-Bearings-Catalog.pdf
    They have some explaining to do. You have been advised. You will get a good song and dance, you should record it. I didn't call Timken direct, but 3 major bearing suppliers in Tucson say the same thing. Not available.
  13. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Back from the extended shopping-lap...part of which meant finishing up with 6 Nashi's as they've proven their mettle in the past... and at a very good price.

Yes, also had plenty of shonky OEM bearings in the past on the Aprilias/ BM's and Suzuki's and there's often no knowing who and where the things were made.
    mag00 likes this.
  14. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Following up here. What is the actual size of the bearings we need for our bikes. I see several iterations and I am not sure which is accurate? The one thing I did glean from this discussion was that I should be buying 6203's. What I need is the sizes.

Thanks

PS: I am putting together an OEM/Interchange Parts list here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24330343&postcount=4253

Any input would be helpful. If you post a part in the Stupid Questions Thread please include the description or name of the part, whether it is OEM or INT (Interchangeable) and the stock number of the part. Also if you have a reliable parts dealer that sells OEM parts I would like you to include that information (international or not), I need dealer name, website and phone. Thanks
  15. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

The 6203 designation incorporates all the measurements (17x40x12mm in this case).
    You can't buy a 6203 in any other size. Only choice is brand preference/ sealed or open/ material like steel or ceramic etc.

http://www.skf.com/group/products/b...w/index.html?prodid=1050240203&imperial=false

Terra+ Srada front (cast + wire wheels) use two 6203.... plus one 25x40x7mm seal
    Terra + Strada rears (cast and wire) use two 6203.... plus one seal of ?? size
    Terra + Strada (cast + wire wheels) Sprocket carrier uses two 6204 plus one 30x40x7mm seal
    Headstem bearings two of OEM 8000 87243 [29-48-17,5mm] have to find a generic number for those dimensions
    Rear Swingarm bearings four needle bearings 28x22x16mm + four seals 28x22x4mm have to find a generic number for those dimensions

All but possibly the rear swingarm bearings are generic bearings/ seals found at any bearing or industrial supplies shop
    Moff69 likes this.
  16. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
  17. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Sorry, to make the complete set of chassis + wheel bearings, I forgot the

Rear shock rocker arm, six needle bearings 26x20x20mm OEM 800042781 , one needle bearing OEM 800032064 and eight seals 26x20x4mm OEM 800032065
    Like the swingarm needle bearings, I'm fairly sure there are generic numbered items from Torrington (the Timken needle bearing subsidiary) ....those sizes remind me of the Aprilia Pegaso/ Funduro 650 parts of yesteryear.
    Thanks for putting it on the list.
  18. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    I know this is an old thread but I looked at ktm parts and came up with the front wheel dust seal for terra non abs from ktm part being
    9902384 DUST SEAL 30X47X7 . THis information does not match the 25x40x7mm seal quoted. I would like to order this today but not sure I am ordering the right thing.
  19. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Check the OEM/Interchange parts list located on ADV look under Frame>Bearings and you will see several listed:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24330343&postcount=4253
  20. Riding Again Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sold TriumphTiger800xcx, TR650 Terra
    Thank you but I was looking to order this through ktm parts and was wondering if any one came across the part number that would order the right seal. I looked through the entire parts schematics and all of the part numbers for the seals whether front/rear or terra/strada same seals.The information in this post is the same on adv.