1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

whats everyone using for brake fluid ?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mikenpalsie, Jun 22, 2009.

1. mikenpalsie Husqvarna
    AA Class

finally got some time to go for a ride today, got the bike out of the garage and noticed the front brake lever went all the way to the handgrip:banghead:. also saw a small discoloration on the floor, but it didnt feel oily. brakes worked good the last time i rode it, (a month ago) . we were riding in some nasty mud and i probably got some up in or around the pistons and i will remove to see what happened. i have never had to add any brake fluid so im not sure what every one uses. the cover says to use dot4. i just wondered if it is the same as what you would get at the auto parts store ? thanks:excuseme:
  2. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Dot 4 and nothing more. You need a brand? Any is good as long as its dot 4
  3. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's
    yep, DOT4 for me too. one brand is as good as another, here in oz there's heaps of brands but it's only made by two companies.

paul.
  4. mikenpalsie Husqvarna
    AA Class

hey thanks, thats exactly what i needed to know, i will remove the caliper tonight after work and see where it leaked and why, hopefully just some old mud that i missed when cleaning up the last time. thanks again, mike
  5. mikenpalsie Husqvarna
    AA Class

fluid leak

wow, that was an easy fix, the brake line bolt had come loose on the caliper. tightened up the bolt, i could swivel the brake line back and forth, filled up and bled then went out and rode. its all good:applause: i will have to remember to check those lines as part of my pre flight inspection. mike
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Motul 5.1 It's compatible with 4.0 and holds up better.
  7. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

umm........ no, it won't i'm afraid.
    the higher the rating, 3, 4, 5.1 the higher the boiling point, which is great if it's a race bike that gets fluid replaced all the time, but on a bike that's serviced at it's regular intervals dot4 is the way to go.
    the higher boiling point has a trade off, it's much more hygroscopic, that is to say it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, which leads to problems like spongy brakes from the water boiling and turning to steam. localised corrosion is another drama, pockets of water will sit against bores of calipers and master cylinders which then cause leaks and contamination. If the brakes are used fully you can feel 5.1 pass it's best through the lever, especially when they're really pushed, if used normally you would probably not notice a drop in performance or feel, which is fine for the rider but not for the system, which will continue to be contaminated with moisture until changed.
    note: dot 5.1 is a glycol compatible fluid and should not be confused with dot 5! dot 5 is silicone brake fluid and should not be mixed with glycol based fluid or used in a system that has had glycol based brake fluid in it unless correctly and completely flushed properly.

paul.
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Motul RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid DOT 4

Only stuff I've found that won't boil on me.
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Thanks for the info. I guess it works for me(and many other racers in my area) because I flush it often. I would change out DOT4 just as often. Odd that a fluid with a higher boiling point would be more hygroscopic, seems contrary to logic.
  10. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Same stuff I've been using.......bit on the expensive side, but a lot better than hauling down a nasty downhill and having your brakes go away.
  11. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

no worries:thumbsup:
  12. mikenpalsie Husqvarna
    AA Class

wow, thanks for all the info!!! i got a container of dot 4 and flushed out both front and rear systems, figured i wouldnt hurt . thanks again. mike
  13. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    What I'd really like to use is Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid, but it's about $80 a liter. :eek:
  14. funmachines Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husa FE570, Beta trials, CDale 440
    Another good one is ATE super blue. It's cheaper than Motul 600 and very close for dry boiling point and just down a bit for wet boiling. I've used many different types with heavy cars and lots of power at the roadrace track (where you can really boil fluid) and have found that ATE is just about as good as Motul 600 as long as you change it often.

The SRF is absurdly expensive. It is the best stuff around but seems like overkill in the dirt.