1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

What switches on/off the cooling fan?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by bower100, Apr 4, 2009.

1. bower100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250CR - '07 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    TY350Trials-BetaRev3-'77RM250-'80YZ
    While I'm installing this fan on my 07 te450, ( it didn't come with one), I can choose between simply wiring it thru a switch I can operate myself, or wire it thru a bi-metallic switch that cycles it on/off at preset temperatures.

The question is, what's Husky put on the bikes to work the fan and where is it on the bike?

I was thinking about this: on Suzuki water cooled street bikes the fan operates from a temp. switch that's screwed into the radiators bottom tank .... water exiting the radiator. That's fine...those street bikes have only one radiator.

But if I was to put a temp switch in the bottom of the Husky rad. that is cooled by the fan I bet the things gonna cycle on/off quickly ... and it won't be "seeing" the water exiting the other un-cooled rad.

Result, poor cooling control .... the fan limited by temp switch placement.

What should I do?

Dave
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    My personal preference is to keep things as simple as possible and have as many things directly in my control as possible. I'd put in a switch on the handle bars somewhere. Anything from radio shack would work, but some switches are more weather proof that others.

I would rather have the fan on while the bike was running as opposed to having the fan come on when the bike is off which might happen if it automatically turns on with temperature.

The downside is I've forgotten to turn manual cooling fans off before and drain the battery.
  3. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

I don't know what they did for the Euro 07 that came with a fan, but the 08 (and probably 09) monitor water temp in the head water jacket. My fan comes on at ~200 deg, and very quickly cools it to 180 and shuts off. I'm not aware of it ever running while riding though, only on the stand in the shop, it moves enough heat it should be felt by right leg.

Keep it simple as Dean said, just wire a switch and flip that boy on when you in the steep and deep, the Spal fans move a tremendous amount of air and that makes noise, it would be difficult to forget that it's on after you shut off the engine.
  4. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

I bought a water proof (push) button and have it mounted on my bars. The only time I ever use the fan is on slower technical sections. I think the switch was by a company called Bullfrog or something like it. It was under $10, I am sure Radio Shack would have something.
  5. bower100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250CR - '07 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    TY350Trials-BetaRev3-'77RM250-'80YZ
    I went to two Radio Shack's and, at least my stores, don't have water proof or resistant switches. Nor does the electronics repair shop I visited.

Can you direct me to the "Bull frog" switch you used. I like the push button style as opposed to the toggle version. I can find water proof rubber boots for the switches...but then need to put switch in a sealed case.

thanks, dave