1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st What happens if too little, or too much oil, is used on a 2st Husqvarna?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Coffee, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I know nothing about 2st Husqvarna.... if too little or too much oil is used - what symptoms are there?

Full disclosure: While my question pertains to a 2st Husqvarna, it is actually in regards to a 2st 61cc Husqvarna chain saw...
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    So you mean premx oil?
  3. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Too little oil - it will seem 'crisp' and responsive, very little smoke and then it seizes up!
    Too much oil - lots of smoke, reluctant to rev and may foul the plug. Plug will look black and oily.

Dave
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes. Sorry.

I know so little about 2sts that I forgot they probably have oil to lube the gearbox (maybe, I really don't know 2st)

The premix oil. If a 2st is supposed to have X:1 oil to gas used, and either .5X:1 or 2X:1 is used instead - what symptoms would the motor exhibit?

I fully realize that if too little oil is used that at some point the engine will lock up, but that is not what is happening.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    And the exact opposite is happening. I did forget about the plug being a useful indicator on a 2st, I will check that next time.

I used to use 8oz to 1 gallon with some old pre-mix oil we had.. Went and bought new 'Ash-less' oil (whatever that is) - and it said for the same ratio to use 4oz per gallon :confused: . Sort of confused at this point because it is acting *very* rich and smoky, with almost no power.

I supposed after enough use the air filter should be cleaned :lol: , I will check that too.
  6. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Had to google oz to gallon, we're sort of metric here :-)

8oz to 1 gallon is 16:1 which seems quite rich.
    4oz would be 32:1 which should be fine, depending on the quality of the oil you could probably even run at 40:1.

Dave
  7. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Make sure the chain isn't too tight. Happens a lot on new chain saw's of every brand, chain get's tight & it bog's.

P.S. I personally run 50:1 in both my chain saw & weedeater (after running a couple tankfuls of 30:1 breakin ratio when they were new)
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Definitely not too tight :lol: (if you 'saw' it, you would understand).

The saw is at least 30 years old. It is a friends, and he has always used 16:1. The bizarre thing is, there are 2 chain saws, and the other one (Poulin) is also acting up slightly, sort of in the same way - and that only started when I began using 32:1 ashless 2st oil... but I've been cutting a lot of wood so I will check the air filter & spark plug and report back (just cleared 1000 meters of dense woods).
  9. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Also check the inlet filter on the gas line which sits in the tank and that the spark arrestor screen in the muffler is clear.
    Coffee likes this.
  10. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    Husqvarna makes chainsaws?
    john01 and Bryan M like this.
  11. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    I've got a nice Husqvarna chain saw. I'm learning a lot about 2 strokes and oil, jetting, and temperament. For motorcycles the mix ratio can be tuned to the riding style. On the pipe a lot (high revs) needs more oil in the fuel. Old guy slow trail riding like I do needs less oil in the fuel. Of course this means re-jetting.

Chain saws don't generally lug around in the trees, they scream right through them so 32:1 sounds good. Your chain saw doesn't have a transmission but there is another oil tank to fill. You're filling the bar oil tank, I hope.

All said I'm having a good time fiddling with and learning about 2 strokes. I'm hooked!
  12. bhab Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300, TC449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 2.9, KTM 200 XC-W
    That's completely correct. People seem to have a hard time understanding that it works this way. Spooge and fouling is caused by unburnt mixture (typically through improper jetting), not by too much oil. More oil means less fuel. Less fuel means the engine runs leaner.
  13. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    On my Stihl there is a spark arrestor screen in the exhaust. If you have one, I bet it's a black grimy mess, all clogged up. Remove the screen and clean it. You can use a torch and heat the screen until the carbon comes off.
  14. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    take a chair!

they also make leaf blowers.
    Robert-Jan
  15. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    and riding mowers, concrete saws, sno-blowers, stump grinders, and best of all sewing machines!
  16. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    The leaner oil mixture makes the engine run richer. try the 8oz to 1 gallon.
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok, I will check the plug, air filter, exhaust, and try a bit more oil. The saws were left were I last used them, which is a bit of a hike/walk to get to.