1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

what forks should be on or390 79

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by patgas, Feb 15, 2010.

1. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

i hav forks with 4 bolts on spindle and husqvarna down inside and out but looking for info on 79 or 390 they hav plain forks any ideas
  2. HuskyT Moderator

79 forks are 35 mm and have no "Husqvarna" on them... sounds like you have 1982 or 1983 forks (40 mm) This was/is a common upgrade.

Do you have a DLS front brake as well. Tha would indicate soemone swapped out to an 83 or 84 fork leg and front wheel.

The 40 mm forks with Husqvarna on them are the better way to go unless you are doing a full stock restoration.

T
  3. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

good info

was going down full stock route,but as im going to keep her not going to change forks ect so probally just going to keep her standard but like a works/special with some trick bits on her,what you guys think
  4. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    Can you post some pictures?
  5. Murph Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will be changing the forks on my OR390 so I will have a pair available cheap if you are interested. The problem is that one of the lower fork legs is cracked at the axle clamp so you would need to replace this one lower leg. The chrome on the stanchions is good though, so let me know if you are interested and we can work out something. They will be cheap, say 25 quid plus delivery. Interested?
  6. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

yep

i hav newer 40mm forks you where right guys,these forks are 83 84 cr wr xc are they correct for my bike offset ect ?
  7. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

anyone

anyone know
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I will state from what I see on my parts comparing 35 mm forks from a 420 auto to 83 xc500 (40 mm) the top clamps seem to have the same offset and the offset of the axle hole to the fork centerline seems quite similar. Maybe around 1985 or so the offset of the top clamp was made more triangular as opposed to more straight across and the rubber mounting was removed for the bars. Years ago it seemed the sentiment that it was important not to tamper with the offset however now some brands have different offset clamps. One way is more top speed stability the other way is faster turning. You might study the parts sheets and see if more than the forks and clamps were swapped. Best is park yours beside one set up like you want it. I swapped mine for a while but don't have many shorter wr, ae and it kind of was not all that level.

Fran
  9. HuskyT Moderator

83/84 is a direct swap onto a 1979 or 1980 .

Do you indeed have the 1983/84 with DLS front brakes?

T
  10. patgas Husqvarna
    A Class

yep

stamped on fork legs is 1512358 k1 so i hav 83 forks and yokes,but not dls front brake.can i change to dls or is different size?the forks are 83 cr/xc not wr is this an issue and are there any length issues with what i hav conpared to what was on it cheers.allso is 16 inch correct size for rear shocks? and m8