What does it takes to total a TR650?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by MatLax, Sep 24, 2018.

1. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    Back in june I went to take my car to go to my friend's when I noticed my motorcycle wasn't in my parking anymore... I thought it had been stolen but then here's how I found it:

[IMG]

It had been pushed there from its parking (I'm standing in it while taking this picture to give you an idea)

I called the cops to file a report and when we pulled it out of the ditch here's what I found:

[IMG]

So it's either one of two things, someone tried to steal the bike, the ignition shorted when they tried to punch it to unlock the steering and they got pissed off and threw the bike in the ditch as a revenge OR somebody really had something against me... Considering I was trying to get the renters across the hall thrown out of the building at the time, I've got my idea who did it, but no proof, so what ya gonna do?

I brought the bike to my "local" dealership and the insurance company called me back with 3400$ in repairs (400$ for the ignition, 1700$ for the wiring harness that got burnt and 9 hours in labor). I told them they were missing the cluster (which got hit when they tried to break the ignition) and a clutch cable at the very least. The next week they contacted me and told me the bike was totaled. When I went to the dealer to get my license plate he told me that the cluster would have been another 1000$ and that he forced my insurance company to add a clause that he wouldn't be responsible if there was more than that that needed to be changed because he was unable to start the bike and couldn't guarantee that would be it, that's what pushed them over the edge and made them decide to pay me instead...

So what now?

Well, I had been dreaming of getting a very precise model for a couple of years but couldn't justify having two bikes that filled the same purpose... So here's my new toy!

[IMG]

It's in another league, not as comfortable on the road but so much better off it! I'm very happy, fuel consumption is pretty much the same (3.5 to 4.0L/100km if I'm doing mostly 90 to 110kph), the power is incredible, the bike is so much easier to manage in the trails (once I get going because the TR650 was already pretty tall, on this one I have to remove the stand before sitting on it otherwise I don't reach it) and it's nice to have a bike with support from the factory! I plan on putting a bigger fuel tank (RadeGarage makes on that takes the space occupied by the factory airbox so the exterior dimensions don't change) and a luggage rack (probably the on from Rumbux along with the front crash bars).

So here's to my TR650, may she rest in peace! And here's to my new bike, may we have some wonderful adventures!

P.S.: I'll be putting some aftermarket parts for sale in a couple minutes

P.P.S.: Don't worry, I'm not deleting the TR650 files from my Google Drive account so you guys will still have access to all the factory manuals!
    kiwiape and LED like this.
  2. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Pics didn't load
    MatLax likes this.
  3. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200

Sorry about that, should be working now!
    Teambowles likes this.
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Can you describe the power and comfort a little more compared to the Husky please?. This bike is of interest to me, along with the T7 and KTM 790 and 501.
  5. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    The future 790 Adventure and T7 are obviously better comparisons to the TR650, heavier, better road manners, a real seat... The 501 is an enduro bike with mirrors and indicators, it comes with short service intervals and the seat is 4" higher than the TR650 (vs 2" for the 701), it won't be an issue for you if you're a 6" guy who doesn't do road trips, but in my case it wouldn't fit my needs.

The 701 has the seat of an Enduro bike, it's thin and one long slab, my longest days so far were 5 or 6 hours of riding, a bit over 300km (with breaks and lots of trails) and my ass was done. So for long days on the road the TR650 is the clear winner (and I've got plenty of experience riding 700km/day on it)

I don't have any bar end weights and will need them (had them on the 650), I'll get internal ones as not to make the handlebar longer. After a couple of hours I have to stretch my hands because of the vibration, that's with the smoother 690 engine from the Duke instead of the older version from the Enduro!

The power... Well, it's in another league, the bike in stock form is 70 lbs lighter than the TR650 (344 vs 410) and it produces 73hp & 52lb-ft vs 58hp & 44lb-ft for the TR650! To give you an idea, a TR650 would need to have 87hp & 62lb-ft to have the same power to weight ratio! Yes you can easily get the wheel off the ground on the TR, but on the 701 you'll do it without meaning to!

Off road can't even be compared, I've taken my TR some places people wouldn't dare, up some very gnarly hills and I felt like I was constantly struggling because of the weight and suspension, the 701 makes the same places feel like I'm making 50% of the effort. But if offroad is your main thing I would recommend the 690 Enduro instead, the old engine makes more torque down low, the suspension is softer and the seat thicker. I think Husky knew they made something a bit more dirt road oriented (vs trail) because they equipped the bike with 50/50 tires (vs 70/30 on the 690) and didn't mind raising the weight by 20lbs over the 690. (Disclaimer: I can make the comparison because my friend has the 690 and we're always riding together)

Fuel economy is the same and the fuel capacity is basically the same.

Aftermarket support is a non issue (especially compared to the TR650 which companies will start abandoning slowly but surely, even the 650gs singles are losing support from some companies like Safari Tanks) and long term getting the parts shouldn't be a problem considering both KTM and Husqvarna have been using the same engine and Husky released their version of the 690 Duke so KTM could switch to using the 790 instead. I don't think they're getting ready to sell the brand either because their dual sport/on road offering doesn't stay in the showrooms too long even if they ask a premium for it compares to the KTM version of the same bike!

So yeah, in conclusion, you want something for road trips with lots of luggage and a bit of easy off road, wait for the T7 or 790, if you like riding real trails along with some longer days on the road then get a 701 or 690, if you want to ride a lot of trails and dirt roads and want to go on pavement only to get you there (or even put the bike in your truck), get the 501/500 or wait on the CRF450L!