Weston Peick Injury Update – Broken Foot

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ray_ray, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This sucks ... WP23 had been hauling the mail both races this SX season .. He had the 5th fastest time last week and was racing in the top 3 in the main event most of time this week ...

--

One of, if not the biggest surprise of the 2015 Monster Energy Supercross, an FIM World Championship series, has been JGRMX/Auto Trader/Yamaha’s Weston Peick. After grinding it out for years as a privateer, the #23 finally got a full-time shot on a factory team, and he is showing everyone why he should be paid top dollar to race a dirt bike.

At the first round in Anaheim, Weston finished a solid 7th, but at round two, a small mistake after riding seventeen perfect laps cost him his first ever podium finish in Phoenix. Early in the Phoenix SX 450SX main event, Weston passed the 2010 450SX Champion, Red Bull/KTM’s Ryan Dungey, for 3rd and held that position under extreme pressure from the #5 for seventeen laps. Unfortunately on lap seventeen, Weston cased a jump, rolled his ankle and suffered a broken bone in his foot. With that, Dungey was able to get around Weston, but the #23 still hung to his best-ever finish in 4th.

WP_foot.jpg
    TemecuCoastie and HuskyMax like this.
  2. HuskyMax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Peick put on a scrub clinic. He was scrubbing under dungey and held him off for a long time. Awesome ride for sure.
    Would love to see the tech JGR has at their disposal to apply to motor and suspension.
    TemecuCoastie likes this.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It's too bad but I liked the way JGR admitted pretty quickly what happened instead of playing some hide&seek game.

WP23 made some speed gains ... Let's hope he gets to show more of it in the near future ...Before the MX season. It might be a little wild for the fans when he gets on the podium...

--
    I'd guess Yamaha is feeding them plenty but not always .. Milsaps said that the last yr he rode so well in SX, that SUZ gave him zero help.
  4. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    He says hes hopeful to race this weekend...ouch. No different then zach osbornes last 2 rides with a broken thumb
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The mains are only 20 minutes or so but they'll miss the practice time on the bikes during the week I'd guess ... I don't know what they do during the week to maintain their fitness, but that will be put on the back burner (?) also and they'll have to adjust there also ...Race day also has the heat races to qualify ...

Its gonna take some guts and intelligence to ride though this without losing all the gains they have made to get this far ...

--

Gray is the new cool color for riding ... I like white or gray here to ward off the heat.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    They have all the tech and engineering that any race team at any level (from NASCAR to MotoGP) possesses.
    http://www.jgrmx.com/
    under this umbrella
    #3 Joe Gibbs Racing

Value: $155 million
    1-year value change: 2%
    Profit: $8.0 million

Joe Gibbs has reached the pinnacle of two sports with three Sprint Cup titles as a NASCAR owner and three Super Bowl rings as head coach of the Washington Redskins in the NFL. Sponsorship on the Gibbs' cars has been steady in recent years with Mars/M&M's re-upping last year on the No. 18 car.
  7. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    Been a fan for a long time. It was fun to see him take it to RD5 - I was on the edge of my seat! About a year ago Racer X did a piece entitled, "Why Not Weston" in regards to his not having a major ride at the time. He went to the RCH Team for the outdoors and didn't really shine, but things [so far] have a better look w/JGR.
    HuskyMax likes this.
  8. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I think it's great for Peick. Looks like JGR is finally getting their bike to handle. Watching Bubba crash every race on that JGR Yammie was getting to be routine. Doesn't look like Barcia is jellin with his bike so much
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I read where they put a screw in his foot to hold the bones together ... He'll probably need a bigger boot and a soft peg if he rides this weekend.

Just to give you guys an idea of what the current winners STATs look like today ... WP23 could put his name in the records book over the next few yrs ... That #23 blue bike looked like a total new-comer to the racing scene.

count.jpg
    Eli has 1 win? ... KR94 has < 5 wins? With the old guys gone, the future win-count number is wide open.

--

Gibbs won the SB with 2, maybe 3 different QBs ... Just about impossible to match this feat today.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Peick rules. Him and Tomac are who I am rooting for.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    physically I would say that WP is one of the top 3 the strongest guys out there. mentally there is a long list of top tier focused racers out there, WP is right in there, but very hungry, and rides through deficits in the old school way. Weston seems like one of the golden era guys.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Reminds me a lot of Mike LaRocco, even looks like him a little bit.
    robertaccio likes this.
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Finally saw this on line ..

Weston Peick, who was injured at the Phoenix round of the series is attempting to return to racing this Saturday, February 14 at AT&T Stadium in Dallas, Texas. Peick started riding yesterday for the first time since his injury and if he feels strong enough he will race. If he does not make the Dallas race he will be on the gate for the Atlanta round on February 21.

--

Certainly hope all is well with this guy on his comeback ...
  14. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm very impressed with Peick even tho Bam Bam is a local kid growing up in D34 with us old farts I wish them both good health.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Love Peick but at this point seems smart to heal and do battle in the MX series.
  16. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I hope to see big things from him in the outdoors.
    ray_ray likes this.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I guess he's hurt again ... Not sure what an MCL injury is all about and I don't know what you do to get a paycheck in this sport but I do not remember lots of cases where riding thru injuries turns out to be a positive in the long run ... It's something some of us do and some of us don't.

--

It looked like Weston came in a little hot, caught Andrew Short’s rear wheel and the rest was history. With that crash, Weston’s return to action at the Arlington SX ended with a 22nd place DNS—because he never finished a lap—and a torn MCL to add to his ever-growing list of bumps and bruises. While you might think Weston announcing that he had a torn MCL might end with the big man saying, “We’ll see you in 6-8 weeks,” that’s not the case with a man known for getting the best of the ground in most crashes. Instead, Weston said he will be on the line at the Atlanta 1 SX this weekend ready to go.

--

I found something that says WP is 26 yrs old ... Lets put that in prospective ... RV2 is 26 and TC222 is 30 .. TC41 25? I hope I got that right ... Remember that WP ran as a podium finisher in the race he got hurt in initially and now is out again with a knee thing... sucks ...

His age might slightly against him but he might not have taken the wear&tear of all yrs he missed racing a scheduled season as most of his current peers .. , I've seen enough of his improvements since you guys brought him out to the light, that I gotta give him a much better than average chance of making it back, but not sure when...might be next yr but don't count this hard charger out just yet.
  18. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WP23 is our local boy.
  19. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Right up there again this weekend, just seemed he was losing steam in the second half. Still a good finish :thumbsup:
    TemecuCoastie, Motosportz and ray_ray like this.
  20. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Been too busy to watch the race but I saw he finish well overall ... That's pretty cool ...