1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Well, I blew it

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MikeB, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

I've got $400 in play money right now, as soon as I come up with another $500 this is a done deal. How did you crate up your motor for shipping?
  2. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I found a heavy duty tote/tub of the right size at home dept - put the motor in a copier paper box from work - put the cardboard box and motor in the tub with heavy foam around it.
    Mike-AK likes this.
  3. bmah Husqvarna
    AA Class

In your case that included the piston and re-lining the cylinder?
  4. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I found a heavy duty tote/tub of the right size at home dept - put the motor in a copier paper box from work (x-lite motor is a perfect fit) - put the cardboard box and motor in the tub with heavy foam surrounding the copier box and the tote. Zip Ty returned it the same way with some bubble wrap to keep the motor exhaust down/trans up in the box (I sent it on its side in the box).
  5. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    What did you do about the clutch line when you removed the engine from the frame?
  6. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Remove the line and installed the banjo bolt with a stack of copper washers to keep the fluid in.
  7. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

Thanks. I need to learn how to bleed a hydraulic clutch anyway. Another learning experience.
  8. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wish - piston and rod were over $500 + re-nicosil
    I kinda knew what I was getting into when I bought the bike - figured I'd need a rebuild after a couple of years and it would cost $1000+.
    With the added porting and oiling mod I figure I'll get even better performance and longer engine life now. (not to mention the re-routed vapor line which would have saved me to start with - speaking of which - ZTR, thanks for taking my idea seriously and doing it. It's a little difficult to operate but I'll adapt and it's a big improvement over stock. Next run maybe just use a banjo bolt and fitting into a threaded hole in a new fill cap?)
    Tinken likes this.
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Valves are only for the red heads.
  10. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It would be more likely to come undone out on the trail. I believe the current design will be staying for awhile.
    MikeB likes this.
  11. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I am camping just south of Zip Ty and will drop off my 310r tomorrow morning for the treatment. Can't wait to get it breathed on! image.jpg oops, sorry for the twisted pic.
    LandofMotards, reveille and Mike-AK like this.
  12. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    MikeB, any ride reports on the impact of the porting?
  13. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
  14. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Anything?
  15. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Hey MikeB...did you get your bike back together yet? How's it run? Especially interested in the impact of the porting. Thanks.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  16. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Hope he didn't do something that I would do like bolt everything up, fire up the engine, then after it seizes remembering I didn't put oil in it. Did that once with a snowblower after draining all the fluids in preparation for a move.
  17. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I drained the oil on my 03 CBR600RR and then started it without putting oil in it lol
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I did that to a 914 Porche I had. Realized it real quick and shut her down, no issues.
  19. LAHuskyrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490, 2013 KTM 300 XC-W
    Neighbor did that to a Ford pickup. Drained the oil, changed the filter, started it up and was going for a short drive and it stopped about 300 yards down the road. He walked back home and noticed the 5 qts of oil sitting on his workbench, unopened. DOH!
  20. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry guys but I work - putting break in time on it - up to 60-70% throttle/revs - first oil change the oil looked almost like new. Nothing on the magnetic drain plug. Can tell you that the clutch mod has eliminated all Rekluse squealing. Getting into the meat of the power now and it seems to feel 'smoother' - she really wants to run so maybe by Sunday afternoon. The new drain back system is actually easier to use than the factory drain bolt crud.