1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Well, I blew it

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MikeB, Sep 15, 2013.

1. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Changed the oil late last night so I could ride today - failed to get the vapor return hose securely on the drain plug nipple - lost the oil in the bike and seized the engine. :excuseme: As I was hustling along today there was a time when I thought the rear tire seemed a little 'greasy' and the valves seemed a little loud but I was having too much fun to slow down.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to spend good money getting the engine done - or just call it a day and part the bike out. This bike has over 100 hard hours on it with only a leaky fork seal and a bad lightweight battery in the 'bad' column. Man, it's been a good bike. It's always felt like it was built for me - just that 'magic' feeling.

I'm sad. :(
  2. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I have made up my mind in advance that if anything happens to my 310 engine, I'd send it to ZipTy for a rebuild. Other than seals and bearings, not much wears out on the rest of the bike. You might want to at least talk with Tinken and find out what your options are. Who knows, your bike might rise from the ashes like a Phoenix and be something far better than it was.
  3. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    4 stroke should be cheap if its piston n bore, if youve worn out valve stems tho that can add up quick, whip it apart an make an informed desicion from there..

(keep it)
  4. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    That truly sucks! That is some bad luck. If only the oil return line/oil cap mod you suggested was done sooner this may not have happened.
  5. henson802 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 Strokes are typically much cheaper to rebuild. It sounds like he seized the bottom end and that could be the crankshaft. Hopefully it's not too bad, but I had my bottom end rebuilt and it was around $2000 with parts and labor.
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Sorry to hear this, whatever you decide, it'll turn out OK.
  7. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I missed that. What was the suggested mod?
  8. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
  9. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    A TC250 drain plug and an oil fill cap with a nipple for the return line so the oil goes back to the motor and not on the ground via a breather filter.
  10. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    It's still going to be made, we are just playing catch up at the moment with KTM/Husky. We are racing the Glen Helen 24 coming up, after that production of those things will go back in Que.

Sorry to hear about your bike MikeB, let us know if you wish to rebuild it, it may be possible to add the 310R mod to it with the cases open so you will have a separate drain plug.
    AndrewS and MikeB like this.
  12. Nordic Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oset 20
    What a bummer Mike! This is such a poor design feature that I am certain you are not the first, nor will you be the last. Don't beat yourself up, man.
  13. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Why can't they put in an oil level sensor like some of the lawn mowers etc.... with all this tech out there?
    Motosportz likes this.
  14. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    One more sensor to go bad. Yeah...that's exactly what we need on a dirt bike. :D
    juicypips likes this.
  15. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    I know but sure saves me $2500 on an engine. Too bad one of our backhoes didn't have one on it, when stick puntured oil filter and cost $10,000.

Technology is there, just have to use it. Gladly push a bike because of bad sensor, than price tag $1500.
  16. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oil pressure sensor would be pretty easy on the x-lite .... pressure sensor in a banjo bolt on the external oil line.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  17. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Rather than a low oil pressure sensor, I'd rather have that breather return mod Tinken was talking about. That might be the best 310 mod ever. In addition to concern over the hose coming loose and dumping your oil, us guys with the '12s get to fiddle around with that stupid setup every oil change. That hopefully coming soon ZipTy mod would change a potential disaster to no big deal.
    Nordic likes this.
  18. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    That mod be great but what happens if you bust a case racing, gasket goes bad or seal?

Busted case happened to me and lost my oil out through bottom of clutch cover. Had no idea till engine locked up.
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

.....until you snap that off and loose all your oil again.

I had my banjo bolt back out with 28 miles on the bike and blow oil all over my leg.

Luckily, I was 100 yrds from the truck and the oil fouled my back brake and I stopped and shut it down right away.
  20. JAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Beta Xtrainer 300
    My 2014 with 36 miles had the top banjo bolt come loose, oil leaked out, and engine locked! I'm not impressed- the dealer is a good one, so I am hoping for the best. (Makes you wonder if the Italians knew that the Austrians were taking over & pissed about it)