1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Weird 82 Ohlins Shock issue

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, Apr 4, 2011.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok so yesterday I went for my first real ride on my 82 250 XC. What a Ride! So I had a few issues. I lost one of the lower Shock bolts and the Shock Slipped off the Swing Arm. I wasn't far from the Truck so I just limped it back. Oddly enough the Remaining Shock stayed in a compressed state all the way back home till I put the Bike on a Stand and then it relaxed. I removed the other Shock and noticed that it was only about 1/2 way exstended. So I removed the Spring ( thats fun on a compressed shock) and tryed to extend it with a Hamer and Punch and it wouldn't budge. Figured I had bent the Shaft right. Well by pulling on it and twisting the body for 20 minutes I was able to extend it all the way! This is after a Spring under tension couldn't do it in 24 hrs! Now that its extended it goes in and out by hand just fine. OK so I had a local Shock guy who has never done a pair of twin shocks go threw them and replace the oil and charge them back up a Year or so ago. Could a Piston Seal be in backwards and allow the Oil to get on the wrong side? I need to ride this bike this Weekend and don't have time to ship them off so do I open them up or just put the Spring back on??
  2. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Probably the "discs" in the valving
  3. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is there a Web site that has a Exspoded Drawing showing how everything goes together?
  4. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

There might be in the tech reference section? I have a Ohlins book but no scanner. I thought someone had a PDF of one. Ask Husky T.
  5. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK so I strayed away from the Cafe and searched the Web only to find everythin I needed right here on the Cafe! ' Twin Shock Piggyback Ohlins Rebuild" answered all my questions and had the manuals with Drawings. Well almost all my questions, if I remember corectly one shock is for Compression and one is for Rebound. My Shock bodys are Labeled Left and Right but they are backwards as to wich fits the bike. I'm wondering if any internal parts are switched between the two.
  6. pcnsd Husqvarna
    A Class

There are no internal difference in the shocks Left to Right. A few thoughts share.

1. I lost a shock once and bent the swingarm in the process. You should check this too.
    2. If you blow the N2 charge, you can check if the shaft is bent by turning the shaft once it is free from pressure. A bent shaft is junk, if I recall correctly run-out is .002" max. It will cause offset wear to the internal shock body in time that can't be honed. They are not cheap.
    3. The 1st plate in the compression shim stack has bypass holes in it. I believe the 82 used a plate with 4 holes. These holes flow oil no matter what. If the shock is sticking from hydraulic lock, it implies something is blocking the bypass holes. Disassembly is required.
    4. These shocks are not difficult for a novice with mechanical experience to rebuild. It does require a little forethought and care. The old style seal heads used 3 retaining clips, the new style only uses two.

Regards,
    PC
  7. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanx for the Heads up. I took the Shock back to my local rebuilder and we took it apart on the spot. Armed with my Drawings we compared everything as to the order of assemby and we found one washer that might of been in up side down by looking at the wear marks. Didn't really look like it would make much diffrence. We Chucked up the Rod and it had little or no run out. Anyway its all back togeather and time to try it again.
  8. pcnsd Husqvarna
    A Class

To the best of my knowlegde, it does not matter which way the valve stack shims are installed as far as there being a top or bottom. Diameter size and order of course is important as is individual shim thickness and these should match on both shocks

Regards,
    PC
  9. bamboozler Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 390xc
    Need help identifying this bike and all of its parts it's what I believe to be a 81 390 XC block number 2080 40 mm Forks larger tank need to ID twin piggyback shocks
  10. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Maybe start a new thread bamboozler, this one hasn't been active in over 6 years!
  11. bamboozler Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 390xc
    I apologize to all concerned and appreciate all who replied obvious first ever forum by the haisty placement of my post
  12. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    No apology needed, just wasn't sure you were aware.