1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Weighing my options.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by NissanMike, Dec 6, 2016.

1. NissanMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 frankenhusqy
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 yamaha tt250 86 honda xr250
    So my mishmashes 87 frame 400-430 engine has had a failure in the cylinder. I haven't the space or money to fix it as of right now. Basically, when looking in the exhaust at the piston I see where the piston is scored. Same with the cylinder. I have searched. And I think what I'm looking at is a bore job. New piston, rings, and associated bits. New seals and a thorough cleaning. It pains me to have this awesome machine with such a bad problem. It's never ran right for me. And I think this could be why. So. What should i do. Sell it? Wait and fix it when money allows? I'm just a bit depressed by my findings and looking for advice. Thanks cafehusky.
  2. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    I vote for fixing it. These bikes are awesome!
    oldbikedude and everfree like this.
  3. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    In the past I have been in similar situations. I have sold bikes because of things that with a little more thought and money could have been taken care of. I say put it in the shed until another day. Down the road you will be sorry it's gone.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    such a bad problem? its really just maintenance. wait and fix when money allows. but theres a reason it did what it did.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    how bad a score? many a bike has given plenty of "after seize" service following a light sand with some wet and dry paper. if the piston alloy has been dragged and smeared all over the rings trapping them in then it may be too far gone but ive seen guys clean them off and free up the rings in order to keep riding on a multi day ride. they obviously give the bike a birthday soon enough buts it feasible to get a few rides in while you fill the bikie tin with reddies to get your parts inventory up to scratch.

as above you need to know why it happened as it may keep happening ....will keep happening if there is a mechanical failure of something.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Never sell it. I regret selling a few in excellent condition. I should of put them in storage. We don't realize how much these bikes have been ridden.
  7. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    There are reasons for everything , examples would be why did it give you issues ? Was it like this when you bought it ? Was it on its last ride when you took it on your first ride ? and why don't you have the funds ? Going to school ? Kids ? new job ? house ? The economy right now is on fire with people spending like there's no tomorrow. Give some more info on your personal situation if you can, most guys on here are a little older and a little better off compared to the younger crowd. Why keep a bike if its like a thorn in your side ? If you can't wrench right now ,Sell that bitch and go get another one...
    justintendo likes this.
  8. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I did that....1989, 1st born $$, going on a trip..sell the 84.5 240 for 1500 flaming bucks...what a mistake:(
  9. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Save it. It will not cost you anything waiting until you get to it. I've got many projects in that waiting state.
  10. NissanMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 frankenhusqy
    Other Motorcycles:
    Everyone here has reiterated my thoughts at one point or another. I cant speak as to if I got it with this issue or I caused it. I'll try to get a picture of the damage. As to my life at the moment. Well in the past year, I fell into buying a house, I got married. We had a son. He's 8 months now. I left a good job that made me feel bad. Floated for 8 months with odd jobs. Just started a new job that isn't quite what I was told. I'm at a place where I don't have many friends for one reason or another so I try to find solace in other ways. Riding was one of them. Ya going alone isn't the smartest but eh ok. Even with this frigid weather I still want to ride. Oh and I'm 26 and in Oregon
  11. NissanMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 frankenhusqy
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    im not to stressed by that mark, being on the intake, something has come into the engine and marked it there. is the inlet manifold in good condition? they can split and its hard to see without giving it a stretch. ditto with the airfilter? it should be greased around the lip and carefully seated. the carb boot checkedaswell? no goop falling in when you take the filter out?
    justintendo likes this.
  13. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
  14. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    oldbikedude, Ha ha. You got that right.
    Can't be helped when you get a few bikes in the garage.
    I would like to rebuild them all down to the frame, but its too much fun riding them.
  15. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Yeah funds are tight...thats my issue. That & the fact that I don't want to part with anything.
  16. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    My $.02-Pull the top end off and check the piston/bore clearances with a feeler gauge. Get a good look at the entire cylinder and piston.
    Let us know. I've been stressed like that and just wanted to go riding too.
    I wouldn't sell it unless you can get good money for it. It won't be worth much not running.
  17. NissanMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 frankenhusqy
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah as it sits it's a basket of different years smashed together. It's not worth much to many. The frame is 87 250 the case is 84? 250 turned water pumper. The top end is the only unknown. The front wheels 87 the rear 85. But the time I got to ride it it was sweet. I didnt romp too hard because paranoia, it's the only 2t I've ever owned. The whole 2t process is interesting to wrap my head around. I cant find anyone local that knows and will share basic 2 stroke knowledge and googling it is a painful process
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    2 strokes are fun, and a whole hobby unto themselves. they are simple, but require understanding to operate and are very dependant on tuning for performance and reliability.
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    do I go into a 3 page twostroke operating ramble?...naaah. its lunchtime ill have another coffee. Nissan mike. 1. keep the bike. 2. ride it some more. as you save some bucks to redo the engine, take it out everyso often to get more of a feel for it.
    make sure you have 40:1 oil in the fuel. don't go too faraway from the trailer. they become real heavy when the motor stops. feel how the bike rides, is it dragging when you open the throttle or is it smooth & snappy?
    make sure the air filter iscleanandoiled and there is oil in the gearbox. Hmmm I need to reco my space bar:thinking:

worst case scenario isit poohs itself mechanically, wont cost much more to fix than afull reco which it needs so don't be too scared of it. just start perusing Phillips pages and making a list of parts and start a little scooter budget / cash stash. even if you drop all your coins in a tin everyweek, wont be long before you can make a few orders.

having ashed or space to strip it will be the next challenge. god I love doing up bikes...got a bad itch..need a project..Hmmm whats on fleabay????
    justintendo likes this.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    yup..have to be willing to do some reading online, along with some real world testing and work. thats all in the fun for me tho!