Water in swingarm

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Navelgazer, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Navelgazer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes
    Noticed a rusty stain at the rear of the swingarm. cutting it short, lifted the plastic plugs for the mudflap and it was nearly full of water, rusty thick dirty water. This is really low rent, these things should be air tight. Tapped the holes for 8mm (or 5/16") screwed down the flap so it seals. Drilled and tapped for 5mm under the axle adjusting bolt to drain the muddy stuff, and got 500 mls and it's still dribbling after 350Ks. There where also rusty dribbles on the cross member down from the flap plugs. Has me thinking about the frame and other trapped spaces. FYI
    TerraCzar likes this.
  2. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Could you please post a picture or two? I can't quite picture what you did, but I do want to go check my bike and take precautionary measures if needed. Thanks for the heads-up!
  3. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    +1. Definitely post a few pics if you can. This is something that deserves some investigation.
  4. DirtyOldMan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    15 Beta XTrainer 04 250 RFS
    My 04 ktm got water in the swingarm as well. My solution was to drill it under the axle adj. bolt as you did to just let it have a way to get out. Difference was that was an aluminum SA. The steel SA on the terra will rust from the inside if wet. My inclination is to drill it as you did and spray some kind of oil/corrosion inhibitor something or other into it. I'll have to check into mine as well.
  5. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I just noticed the same thing.

Attached Files:

nev.. likes this.
  6. Navelgazer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes
    TerraCzar you have it, just drill a hole above where you see the rust in the pic, on both arms. Then go to the cross brace at the front and lever out the plastic plugs. Mine was nearly full up to the holes. Drill an tap these holes for a 5/16" flanged bolt and nip them down to squash the rubber enough to seal . I still riding with the drain holes open till no rusty sludge comes out, spray CRC in each hole (a lot) then seal off the holes.
    TerraCzar likes this.
  7. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    I can't help but notice you took those pictures in 2007. You had a Terra in 2007! You bastard, you held out on us for SIX YEARS! :D
    HuskyDude likes this.
  8. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Maybe they need to be filled with fish oil. An old panelbeaters trick; they use to spray the inside of car doors for rustproofing when the drain holes at the bottom of the doors would block up.

Is it good practice to drill out a swing arm; could cracks progagate from the holes?
    TerraCzar likes this.
  9. McKay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350S, 2016 TE300
    You can drill them fine, then take a bit at least a few sizes bigger than the one you drilled it with and hand dress the hole with it. It removes the sharp edge.

Also, CRC is a HUGE range of product, which one Navelgazer (lol) is referring to is a guess. We use ACF 50 and its just about the best you can get. I would leave the holes open to let it drain and also to help with condensation.
    TerraCzar likes this.
  10. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I guess so, I popped the mudflap, didn't see anything. I washed the bike last week, and think that may have had something to do with it. Not much rain here in San Diego. You say drill a hole above the rust? I was thinking to drill a hole on bottom of swing arm?
  11. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Oh shoot, I was supposed to change the date to keep it a secret. Let me tell ya, it's been an awesome six years!
    Coffee and HuskyDude like this.
  12. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Spray a liberal amount of Boeshield T9 in the holes. It will migrate along the metal on the inside, displace any remaining moisture, and dry to a thin waxy coating to prevent any future corrosion.
    TerraCzar likes this.
  13. TerraCzar Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Would that be safe to use on our chains as well?
  14. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    I use it on bicycle chains and it works great. If you let it dry overnight before riding the bike, it will dry to a thin waxy coat that repels water and dirt nicely. My bicycle chains are lasting about 4X longer using Boeshield.
    TerraCzar likes this.
  15. Navelgazer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes
    Stick a stick down the hole and there will be water. looked at the underside of the swingarm but I think there is a lot of steel and weld in that area so chose the easy way out, soft, you betcha.
    TerraCzar likes this.
  16. Navelgazer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes
    Oh I don't know, it was just there so it got used, red on white 56 I think.
  17. Navelgazer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes
    Thanks Mike, if there was some in OZ I would buy it. Is it like valvolene tectyl, that's good stuff.
  18. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
  19. ebrake Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki KLR 250(sold)
    I noticed I have the same issue. Can you throw up a picture of exactly where you drilled the drain holes please?
    Next likes this.
  20. Navelgazer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes
    No, but below the axle locking bolt and about 1/8" up from the bottom as there is weld on the inside which you cannot see of course. A slight angle is needed so the drill chuck clears the axle bolt, unless you take the wheel off, which would let you drill straight. hope this helps.