1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Was that six spring clutch 87-88 really an improvement?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by fran...k., Feb 19, 2010.

1. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I have this 430 1988 model engine which has been kind of troublesome with the clutch. It has been raced hard before I got it and there is a lot of axial play in the clutch/transmission shaft. I am wondering if anyone thinks I might just be better with the earlier five spring version? The primary gearing is enough different it seems they would not slip any different just probably tolerate more heat as the plates are bigger. The way I ride the heat problems aren't an issue. I realize to use the different clutches you need swap lower ends or split the cases and change the insides.
  2. NYWR430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The clutch pull on mine is rediculous. It could definitely use some lighter springs as I think those 6 stock springs are overkill. Also, the inner clutch hub bolt "towers" on mine were cracked from the top down for about 1/2" in length. I had to mill them down to remove the cracking and use longer spring retainer bolts with 2 nuts under the washer to space them back to the stock height. Maybe the previous owner tightened the bolts too much and cracked the towers? Not sure exactly why/how that happened.

Attached Files:

3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    NYWR430,
    Your bike looks like quite close to original condition. You ought to see some of those plastic pieces I have which go in front of the back wheel. I never have seen a clutch cable routed like that. I have mine go kind of past the water pump and up the front down tube, there is usually a wire of sorts making a hole for it to go through up near the steering stops. A Motion pro cable is the way to go I think they are all terminator at least for this application. Can't say I noticed the clutch pull any different than a five spring 500 or not enough to really notice. That piece you are machining on should be pretty cheap used, I suspect it is the same on the 250 and I doubt parts engines generally have issues with that part. Sometimes guys lever off those towers to bend the fold over washer and snap the tower off. Haven't seen that on a husky but on others yes.
    Mine would act strange and the nut was re adjusted and then it worked but the last time I got new plates and after a day I had to take the chain off to push it on the truck. In a way I don't feel like tampering with it but I have it in an improved frame with an improved pipe and a fresh piston. Somehow I am not seeing something really robust enough for that nut to tighten down on at that is what I remember.

After reading the above, about the piece on your machine table usually there is more "denting" from plate contact and I never noticed anything else in the way of flaws.

Fran
  4. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Guys- hope George Erl can weigh in here with his knowledge but isn't swapping back to the 5 spring series kind of involved? You're swapping out the complete assembly because the pitch of the teeth differs plus the 5 series baskets are aluminum (not necessarily hardened very well) so they wear quicker. I swapped out the stock 5 series on my '82 for the steel '85 off the 4S and yes the play/feel was a little different and it's a bit heavier but man, no more worries about finding a replacement aluminum basket (which once worn & ridden feels crappy anyway). IMHO
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    What I am talking about the six spring ones which don't attach like the earlier 86 and down until the ones with rubber in the clutch or there about in vintage. I think I have a parts engine or more than one with the steel basket and the five springs. The primary gearing on those is rather low for that diameter clutch in my opinion though I have never used a set up with them. I was more talking about the 87-88 version which do not attach with a snap ring. One of those shafts in the transmission has first gear built into it without checking I think it is the one the clutch is on. That is why I mentioned changing the whole insides. If I recall the numbers of teeth remain the same on the 250wr, 430 and 500 six speeds and the four stroke six speeds for a lot of years. I have been just been changing lower ends and repairing the rear of the cases but am out of good lower ends in the 430 with 14mm hole at the back. Can't say about the pitch though studying parts numbers probably could determine that.

Fran