1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

wanted: DLS front hub for '83/'84 430/500

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Laverdaton, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Laverdaton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, Anybody got a front wheel or front wheel hub for twin leading shoe front brake for sale.
    I would pay the postage cost from the US.
    I'm in the UK, so I would consider a complete front wheel if it was in the UK.
    Thanks.......
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Rocking horse droppings, took me two years to find one!
  3. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Was the 83 84 brake unique to those years ?
  4. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    The hub is different.
  5. Laverdaton Husqvarna
    AA Class

I thought the wheel hubs were the same - there not. I think the only option is to machine down the stepped flange on the DLS brake plate to get it to fit into the single shoe hub. The brake plate is magnesium.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The wheels and hubs are different there in eBay.? The water loc is machined different. I think the hub in the rim has a larger water/mud slinger on it.
  7. Laverdaton Husqvarna
    AA Class

There is a difference in the design of the outer flange. The brake shoe diameter is the same (160mm).
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yes it's made to keep the water and mud slung away? I just seen the double lever front brake on eBay but darn I can't find it now.
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    a friend might have one, will ask in the morn
  10. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    We are working to make new Hubs from single billets of 7075-T6, but they are a month or so away and will be pricey! Not many good used ones left now - particularly the fronts that have the spokes pull out of the hub...

Andy.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Cool! Will you do a complete laced up wheel with a black rim?
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    here is what he has

Attached Files:

13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    and these

Attached Files:

14. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Just Hubs to start with and probably Black Anodised. We looked at all the options and it is easier to go with the standard spoke pattern so as to avoid confusion. May consider complete wheels, but cheap is not a word that will feature in this programme of work ! Decent rims are not available with this drilling off the shelf.

Andy.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  15. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    The TLS brake plate assembly fits very nicely in to a Yamaha XT500 front hub. The width of the plate itself seems to be adequate for it to move freely but I have not had it assembled and tightened down so can't be 100% sure that it can be done without modification to the brake plate spacer. It is however only tenths of mm's away from it so not far off.
    A XT hub is also very close to the same width as a HVA TLS hub and there are other Yamaha models too that use the same hub. See below list from boats.net.
    There are two tabs in the XT hub that drive the speedo but they are easily grounded down to flush surface. Hope this helps.
    Edit: Yamaha hub is also15 mm axle.
    xtfront1.jpg xtfront3.jpg
    xtfront4.jpg

List below from this link: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-1E6-25111-00-98.html

xtfronthub comp.JPG
    slosh and silverstreakNZ like this.
  16. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
    The linings do sit a little more shallow on the HVA brake plate with 2,5-3mm compared with the XT.
    Photo red arrow shows the marks inside XT-hub from where stock brake linings end so should be ok for HVA plate too.
    And green arrow show edge of brake area in hub.
    Please note, I have not tried this on a running bike only as a mock-up to see if parts can be used together!
    xthub.jpg
  17. Krudd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    89A 510TE, 89B 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '81 Yamaha XT500
  18. Laverdaton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the links - It seems that machining a SLS brake hub to fit the DLS brake hub is feasible and it does work. But, dirt and water can easily get in. It's all good reading though. thanks.......
  19. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM370, Curtis Honda, Maico 400
    I have a complete Yamaha DLS front wheel, 43mm forks and yokes if that is any good to you?
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The triple stem is too short for the Husqvarna neck. The neck can be extended by cutting the stem in the middle, installing a stemmed spacer, and welding it together. You can find the spacer length by cutting the stem , installing the triple pieces into the step to get the new length needed for the stem. Then lay out the pies on a table , stage the new dimension you just measured, and measure the distance between the saw cuts of the stem ends. A center pilot OD on both ends of your spacer that will align your stem pieces concentric. That will make it easier to weld together. As I recall the spacer dimension may be .75" but that is why I would stage the cut pieces as outlined above. Also it depends on the width of the saw blade that does the parting.

Because I am not familiar with the height difference between the Laverton & Husqvarna, that is why it needs to be mapped out as described above.