1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Vintage modifications

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by jo360, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Thought this might be a good idea put together an easy reference point for the various mods that we have carried out to improve/fix issues with these old bikes, would imagine there are quite a few on this site already.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    84 dls front brake. there is a good method for arcing the shoes to the hub on here and adding a tab to the main lever is also recommended for more lever feel. ditto with the clutch (phil at husqvarnaparts has them).

when reassembling front forks, don't nip up the bottom bolt until the tubes are fully collapsed in the sliders to centre the damper rod in the sliders.

zip tie the front brake cable at the fork swiper to prevent it folding into the tyre and launching you into outer space.

let the air out of the forks on a regular basis.

there is a start
    starrblade and jo360 like this.
  3. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    2005-01-01 21.53.24-2.jpg 2005-01-01 21.53.24-5.jpg

Attached Files:

4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    2015-11-30 11.44.19.jpg 2015-11-30 11.45.19.jpg bottom roller attached to brake pedal bolt and frame, I measured the chain tension in the same way as pds with the shocks removed, the choke lever is from an old carb and actuated the decomp valve.
  5. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    I like the idea but this is going to be 20 pages and 20 year and 9 different model mods and updates
    to actually be able to find anything in a few months this needs to be referenced
    justintendo likes this.
  6. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Get a new air filter, good shocks (rebuilt or new), new tires and leave everything else stock.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I think a check list for looking at old sh*tboxes and trying to work out what you need to do and if you should buy it. I always find I get carried away with looking at the bike and don't actually see any problems till ive paid and got it home... then see that half the spokes are missing or there are no seals in the forks etc...a simple list would be a good idea. a mate just bought an old two door falcon and I went to look atit and I walk in the shed and go "bit of hit in the back quarter there..." and he is just devastated as he hadn't seen it even after spending three hrs going over it before buying....had the stars in his eyes....
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  8. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Good idea a sort of what to look for thread model/years covered.mines a bitza so keeping things original was not an issue and some times good to share a solution, also helps if you have an abundance of parts, ebay is great for locating cheap parts but most are ex usa and I hate waiting for the post to arrive.
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I always put in new tubes with new tires. New air cleaner, inspect the carb boots for cracks, new husqvarna needle n seat in the carb the high flow one. Clean the carb, lube the slide with straight two stroke mix. All new wheel bearings, new piston n rings, crank bearings, seals, gaskets, new fork seals, fork oil. New grips, new cables, bark busters. New seat cover. Check the brakes. Fix the chain roller system. New chain and sprockets
  10. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    pull the brakes to bits and carefully grease (with waterproof grease) the pivot pins for smooooth operation. also lube the cables and grease the lever pivots to assist in the best operation of brake and clutch functions...amazing how quick all that stuff binds up with out noticing it till you either grease it or ride someone else's bike!